Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Announcing a Free-to-Play Option

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Announcing a Free-to-Play Option
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

LadyRaven
09.26.2012 , 04:31 PM | #1201
Quote: Originally Posted by yoohoohoo View Post
I don't know why everyone is hating on Bioware for this. They're trying to get people to enjoy the game for as long as they want and if they enjoy it and want more they'll subscribe. I believe that Bioware has done a great thing here by opening up the game to the public. They can try the game and see if they like it. I for one have tried DCUO, STO and LOTRO because they all have f2p and i'm still playing all three. SWTOR can only benefit from this so if you whiney subs can't accept that, go post your **** somewhere else. Bioware are trying to help and you're spitting in their faces.
I agree.

I think they should sell *most* everything in the FTP shop. Vanity items, level up tokens, new speeders, all except highest pve/pvp gear. They need the money to float this game. For all the yelling, screaming louder isn't going to help. Our subs are not floating ToR...at least not well enough for EA and Lucas to be happy. So it's either this or shut the game down. I want the game to grow not shrink and close. (Like CoH/CoV) sniff

Just vanity item shop ala WoW won't help, mark my words.

AlannTH
09.26.2012 , 04:41 PM | #1202
I have said in the past FTP, players who choose this option will not pay for anything in game. They are adamant that once you buy a game thats it, and they will not put a penny into the game. There are too many other games and free MMOs out there for them to want to pay to continue paying for a game. Subs at the moment might not be floating the game but at one point they had enough to do just that, due to incompitance with so many issues going unfixed its become a joke. Only tonight after the latest patch there are bug after bug. They just dont know how to run an MMO.

With the 2 bio founders leaving its clear the games on its last legs and the FTP option is its final gamble.
Snowflakes Snowflakes everywere. They are getting in my hair.

WizardsDestiny
09.26.2012 , 06:16 PM | #1203
I don't know why everyone is hating on Bioware for this. They're trying to get people to enjoy the game for as long as they want and if they enjoy it and want more they'll subscribe. I believe that Bioware has done a great thing here by opening up the game to the public. They can try the game and see if they like it. I for one have tried DCUO, STO and LOTRO because they all have f2p and i'm still playing all three. SWTOR can only benefit from this so if you whiney subs can't accept that, go post your **** somewhere else. Bioware are trying to help and you're spitting in their faces.

I agree with that you're saying, but still, this is a discussion thread and so people are posting different opinions. Bioware's getting feedback, and just because people disagree with others it doesn't mean they should go somewhere else, or if they disagree with Bioware. I'm not a huge fan of F2P and I'm a bit iffy about it, but I'm gonna still play SWTOR.
There is only Power, and those too weak to seek it.

Comstrike
09.26.2012 , 06:23 PM | #1204
There is no Bioware, only Zuul.
Comstrike
Founder, Leader, Sons Of Numenor & Scions of Koribban| LOTRO - SWTOR - GW2 - STO - World of Tanks | GalacticHolonetNews

yoohoohoo
09.27.2012 , 08:37 AM | #1205
Quote: Originally Posted by Comstrike View Post
There is no Bioware, only Zuul.
Fair point, my friend
Lord Vivicar: Soon the combined strength of your masters will make me the most powerful force adept who has ever lived.
Consular: If you love the force so much, prepare to become one with it.

darth_doom_munky
09.28.2012 , 05:40 PM | #1206
Quote: Originally Posted by LordTrikke View Post
Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free? Right!!!
... for meat

Krinia
09.28.2012 , 06:30 PM | #1207
they seem to be going the way LOTRO is with the F2P option, which is not a bad thing if you take a step back and look at it all around. while subbed you get x amount of TP a month to use in the turbine store on exclusive mounts, cosmetic gear,pets, crafting tools and recipies as well as some LI improvements and even expansions. Though it seems to lean more to pay to win...in my view it helps those who work for a living catch up faster with the fast pace gear/raid releases. take it however you see it though, i stay subbed to that game to save points to buy expansions and mounts as they come out, ill probly end up dropping that sub to sub this one if its done right in swtor.
"Peace is a lie, there is only passion.Through passion, I gain strength.Through strength, I gain power.Through power, I gain victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me."
~Darth Bane~

yoohoohoo
09.28.2012 , 06:44 PM | #1208
Quote: Originally Posted by Krinia View Post
Though it seems to lean more to pay to win...
Bioware have said they're not doing this on the livestream. apparently you can buy sets of gear for a specific level but not any endgame gear.
Lord Vivicar: Soon the combined strength of your masters will make me the most powerful force adept who has ever lived.
Consular: If you love the force so much, prepare to become one with it.

DarthDrachonus
09.28.2012 , 07:21 PM | #1209
Quote: Originally Posted by AlannTH View Post
I have said in the past FTP, players who choose this option will not pay for anything in game. They are adamant that once you buy a game thats it, and they will not put a penny into the game. There are too many other games and free MMOs out there for them to want to pay to continue paying for a game. Subs at the moment might not be floating the game but at one point they had enough to do just that, due to incompitance with so many issues going unfixed its become a joke. Only tonight after the latest patch there are bug after bug. They just dont know how to run an MMO.

With the 2 bio founders leaving its clear the games on its last legs and the FTP option is its final gamble.
Apparently you dunno anything you're talking about when it comes to this game. FTP was always in the plans. Just because this is a game you do not enjoy, doesn't mean others do, if the game were going under, there'd be more signs of it than just two people leaving. They sold Bioware to EA, they got their money, they're moving on, they're starting a new chapter in their lives, doesn't mean a dang thing for ToR, or Bioware. Another doomsday prophet. Go play whatever flavor of the month MMO you enjoy, leave the rest of us alone to enjoy ours, or, if you enjoy the game, make productive posts. Report those bugs, try to help us get those bugs fixed. Just whining about it never solves anything.
The Most Interesting Sith in the Galaxy!

Razzius
11.06.2012 , 04:32 PM | #1210
So this F2P model will be in the works soon? Or are they having 2nd thoughts about this?