Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

1.4: New font feedback

Rhesus_TOR
09.26.2012 , 10:36 AM | #1
The black offset shadow on flytext is a nice touch, thanks.

The black outline on all of the now-horizontally compressed chat hurts where before the black outline wasn't that big of a deal.

Also, the change in character names to ALL-CAPS on the operations frames makes the names pointless for characters with names longer than say, 5 characters.

Is there any way we can turn off the black outline for the small horizontally-compressed text? Is there a way for us to pick a more legible font? Is there a way for us to be able to get back the UPPER/lower case in the operations frame?

Except for the offest shadow on flytext all of the UI changes I cited are steps away from accessibility. Please help your players out here.

Luniara
09.26.2012 , 10:55 AM | #2
I don't know why, but seeing this kind of post pleased me.
Perhaps it's because my mind is graphically inclined as a designer and I notice the little things like that. I foresee this bothering me as well.
Luniara Solborne | Sith Marauder
Penumbral, Guild Leader - Jung Ma Server
Website | Join Us
DeviantART | Character Wiki

Rhesus_TOR
09.26.2012 , 10:59 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Luniara View Post
I don't know why, but seeing this kind of post pleased me.
Perhaps it's because my mind is graphically inclined as a designer and I notice the little things like that. I foresee this bothering me as well.
Thanks for the positive response! It looks like they're using a NARROW font variant of the base font to which we've grown accustomed. As a reault, the smaller font sizes with the black outlines now look really really bad.

Some of the color combinations before (like the dark purple chat text for Artifact quality items) were pushing illegible, but now it has gotten eyestraining and downright painful to try to read.

If I have to bump up a font size 1-3 points to restore readability, that's not much of an upgrade to the UI overall.

TheronFett
09.26.2012 , 11:00 AM | #4
I'm not impressed with any of the font changes. The shadows mostly look like crap, and I run on high graphics settings.

Alec_Fortescue
09.26.2012 , 11:01 AM | #5
New font gives me a headache! It just looks so ... low-res. It makes me feel that the game graphic settings are lower than in reality.
Bioware, please let us know if we're ever going to see iconic Jedi robes in the game... Or why not?

http://www.swtor.com/r/FsJS44 - Accept my referral to express gratitude for my years-long fight for iconic Jedi attire in this "Star Wars" game. You'll get some goodies on top of it, too.

Yun_Gemstone
09.26.2012 , 11:09 AM | #6
All the new tooltip font for skills, items and crafting is horrible. Too small and hard to read. Big strain to my eyes and the only option to fix it "a little" is to lower the graphics. Which in itself is a big "no-no" for a fix.

Nothing was wrong with the old font, why even change it?

Rankyn
09.26.2012 , 11:14 AM | #7
So far the thing that really bothers me is the tooltip font.

Lionflash
09.26.2012 , 11:17 AM | #8
Anybody got a screenshot?

Strange I didn't know about the new fonts. I've been checking out the PTS forum, but not actually playing on it.

Lazirus-
09.26.2012 , 11:22 AM | #9
Meh, I enjoy the new fonts.

Still, the best thing to do is to give people options.
"It is said correctly that law exists not for the just but for the unjust, for the just carry the law in their hearts, and do not need to call it from afar."
Master Fitze Felix | Jedi Shadow | The Harbinger

BadOrb
09.26.2012 , 11:40 AM | #10
Terribly tiny font , really great for the partially sighted community. They could hardly read it before 1.4 now they haven't got a cat in hell's chance. Bigger fonts where needed not smaller.

Cheers,

BadOrb.
'Ah you think micro transactions are your ally ? The DLC betrays you because it belongs to me , when your home world is monetized , you have my permission to buy'.
"Oh goody. Lord Douchebag McFuzzlebunny can now be related to me if he see's my legacy name and decides he likes it." quote from Selvec 09/06/12