Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Developer Update: Shadow Optimizations in Game Update 1.4

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Developer Update: Shadow Optimizations in Game Update 1.4
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

billyconnite
09.19.2012 , 05:31 PM | #81
Quote: Originally Posted by Arkerus View Post
In addition to these functional changes, there have been numerous optimizations made to the underlying core technology to reduce the load on the players computer. In most cases, players should notice an improvement to framerate compared to the previous system. Players with high-end AMD CrossFire or Nvidia SLI machines should notice a large improvement when running the game with the new shadow system.

OK?
Let's hope this is true.

Frankly I think it's 100% referring to just the new shadows system:
Quote: Originally Posted by Arkerus View Post
Players with high-end AMD CrossFire or Nvidia SLI machines should notice a large improvement when running the game with the new shadow system.
Regardless, their wording suggests that the load on the system will be reduced, this means nothing to the current engine's limitations given my system is hardly utilized running this hopelessly threaded game - The "core changes" may simply be noticeable to lower-end PC's, and the only benefit for higher-end PC's will be the new shadow system. lol I remember the 1.3 patch notes..... Still funny.

We'll see, i'm definitely not getting my hopes up that's for sure. This way I won't be disappointed yet again, but may be happily surprised. I think the former.

Carrot on a stick.
Kramer // Cake is Real // Giddy Up

RikHar
09.19.2012 , 10:52 PM | #82
According to the pictures shown it seems to me the "before" shadows look more crisp and better then the "now" ones.

Glzmo
09.20.2012 , 10:05 AM | #83
Quote: Originally Posted by billyconnite View Post
Let's hope this is true.

Frankly I think it's 100% referring to just the new shadows system:
Quote: Originally Posted by Arkerus
Players with high-end AMD CrossFire or Nvidia SLI machines should notice a large improvement when running the game with the new shadow system.
Regardless, their wording suggests that the load on the system will be reduced, this means nothing to the current engine's limitations given my system is hardly utilized running this hopelessly threaded game - The "core changes" may simply be noticeable to lower-end PC's, and the only benefit for higher-end PC's will be the new shadow system. lol I remember the 1.3 patch notes..... Still funny.
The problem is that the 1.4 shadows completely cripple performance on high-end SLI systems. Running on a single card (or with SLI disabled) is way faster than on SLI in 1.4 (at least on the public test server) and turning on SLI makes the game unplayable in many areas on a high end computer. In 1.3, SLI gives a good performance boost over a single card, but 1.4 has definitely crippled SLi performance when all the options are turned up (not sure about CrossfireX, as I currently don't have cards to test it). It's completely odd that the blog post clearly states that SLi and Crossfire performance on high-end machines is greatly increased by these changes, when in reality, it has the adverse effect.

Elboc
09.20.2012 , 10:17 AM | #84
Finally. Maybe I will actually turn shadows back on! They were a waste of time before!! /yay
Jt - Level 55 Mercenary - Rank 75 Valor
"Agent" Smth - Level 50 Sniper - Valor Rank 97
***The Untold Legacy*** The Bastion Server -"Founder"

Lateris
09.20.2012 , 10:35 AM | #85
This is great news! I use an nvidia 560ti and want to go SLI for 3 monitors.
.:|Jawa Diplomat- Obscuri Lateris- |:.

Sklhros
09.20.2012 , 02:12 PM | #86
im tired of saying that, but will we have eventually two shadows in tatooine? or still 2 suns will generate one shade only? (paranormal)

D.

BaronV
09.20.2012 , 09:25 PM | #87
Yay finally! This is a good change.

My Stay-subbed:Unsub ratio is now 52:48
I used to be a Jedi like you - until I took a blaster bolt to the knee

Nikoagonistes
09.24.2012 , 05:24 PM | #88
When I saw an article about "Shadow Optimizations"," I was excited. Then I read the article.

To make a long story short, I've found that for me, the best option is to play with shadows on during the outdoor periods, and then turn them to "low" (i.e. the only shadows are little circles at the characters' feet) during the indoor parts (including city-planets like Coruscant and Nar Shaddaa.) (On a side note, when I first got the game, shadows went from "High" to "Low" or "Off" instantly. Now it takes a reloading of the entire screen. This is improvement ... how?)

So when I heard all the talk about "everything will cast dynamic shadows" and how the shadows will be rounded, my heart sank as I can only dread the extra processor power that will take, and the subsequent frame rate loss.

On the topic of shadows, I would have recommended some much different ideas, such as "1.5 shadows" for the terrain in the "medium" shader settings, trying to get the current "high" shadows , or things like that.

Blocky terrain shadows are better than no terrain shadows at all. Please don't make us non-uber-end users have to choose between shadowed terrain and playability!

Shimunna
09.26.2012 , 04:10 AM | #89
Thank you SO much! When I first started playing the game, I was very upset with the shadow details. I had to totally turned it off! I LOVE this game and I'm really glad to see Bioware is polishing this game step by step. Good job guys... keep up the good work!

Glzmo
09.26.2012 , 10:41 AM | #90
Way to bring the borked SLI performance live, Bioware, even though it was reported before. Why do you even put patches on the public test server when you ignore feedback and bug reports on critical issues like this and bring the patches live without fixing them? Having worse performance in 1.4 with SLI enabled than a single card is Inacceptable! On Tython, I had 90-110FPS with full details on my dual GeForce GTX 580 3GB SLI rig in 1.3, in 1.4 it's 20-35. On a single card in 1.4 with SLI disabled I get 35-50 FPS.

Bioware, why do you bring such buggy builds live even though you know of the issues?!

I am disappointed and mad at you.