Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Server Consolidation

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

LNSSnorkle
09.22.2012 , 04:15 PM | #341
Quote: Originally Posted by SkyH View Post
Well, how should they have done it differently?

Also, I'm not understanding how it is that friends are being spllit up. If you were all on the same server before consolidation, wouldn't you be on the same merged server afterwards? Or did they randomly split the population of each source server to different destination servers?
Our origin server had two destination servers. I asked the developer's Q&A about this, and they actually took the time to reply to me and tell me not to worry and that we would get more info in advance as time drew nearer.

How should they have done it differently? Decide the servers since the start, or warn people with at least 1-2 weeks in advance, or provide a way to fix these issues, or simply make the characters choose one of those two servers when they logged on, or I don't know, there are at least a dozen different ways to do it better.

All I know is that the six of us are annoyed and have to find another game to play together. Which sucks cause we like this one. Two of us ended up in the progenitor, the rest on tomb of freedon nedd... Why could they simply not have made the decision right from the start? Or hell, I've already phoned customer support twice and opened three tickets (suggested by the customer support guys) to see if this can be fixed and they keep closing the tickets and not even talking to me... What can we do ? We're basically asking them to please let us give them more money and they ain't doing it.

Giving no warning, no time for anything and just consolidating just like that, with people hanging on to try and get more info, after so much request for help... And you ask how they should have done it differently ? The question is how did they manage to fail so miserably in doing something that was so easy, and that they were warned of the potential problems. It's like they purposefully headed straight into wall.

Danbuterx
09.23.2012 , 08:39 AM | #342
I suspect the accountants crunched numbers, and EA will make more money shutting Star Wars down and claiming a loss than trying to keep it going. There's probably contractual obligations with Lucas though, so they are just keeping up appearances that they don't want to just abandon the game, though they really do.

AlannTH
09.23.2012 , 08:43 AM | #343
Quote: Originally Posted by Danbuterx View Post
I suspect the accountants crunched numbers, and EA will make more money shutting Star Wars down and claiming a loss than trying to keep it going. There's probably contractual obligations with Lucas though, so they are just keeping up appearances that they don't want to just abandon the game, though they really do.
I agree, some people on here live in dream land, had one a few weeks ago who said she had crunched numbers and done graphs, etc, You have so many costs running a game like this. Server costs, engineers, etc, people working on the game, people on the telephones, customer service tech support, It goes on and on and on. With the lack of real marketing its a shame I love this game so much but to see it run like this by cowboys its heartbreaking.
Snowflakes Snowflakes everywere. They are getting in my hair.

Ruaidhri
09.25.2012 , 04:33 AM | #344
Quote: Originally Posted by Danbuterx View Post
I was wondering about this same thing. I don't suppose there would be an official word on this?

Evgen
09.25.2012 , 06:08 PM | #345
Quote: Originally Posted by Ruaidhri View Post
I was wondering about this same thing. I don't suppose there would be an official word on this?
If this was in fact the case, and they couldn't just shut it down, for legal reasons for example, just complete theorizing on a hypothetical situation here . . . and i am not a lawyer, maybe a rules lawyer . . . then they couldn't, hypothetically of course, officially say that. They in fact would want to do just enough to avoid making it look like they were making the game fail. It would be sad, in this hypothetical case , if a company was actual trying to succeed but was doing so horrible that people though they were trying to fail
Hypothetically

AlannTH
09.26.2012 , 04:32 AM | #346
Its worrying that BioWare co-founders Ray Muzyka and Greg Zeschuk have left the studio, for what reasons we dont know. Cant bode well for TOR.

Reble-Dog-Squad
09.26.2012 , 04:38 AM | #347
Quote: Originally Posted by AlannTH View Post
Its worrying that BioWare co-founders Ray Muzyka and Greg Zeschuk have left the studio, for what reasons we dont know. Cant bode well for TOR.
Just maybe, their contract ended and they took their bundle of cash and left, wouldn't you if you had the money they had from the sale of their company.

Another possible reason could be that they where to stay on until a certain point and then had to leave as part of the EA's acquisition of Bioware. you know as per the agreement of sale.
Australian CE VIP
"Social Media Killed Society - Like The Video Killed the Radio Star"
System: i7 2600K, Asus P8z68-V Pro, 16gig RAM, Gigabyte GTX580 SOC
May The Force Be With You

MOPSFounder
09.26.2012 , 04:45 AM | #348
Quote: Originally Posted by AlannTH View Post
I agree, some people on here live in dream land, had one a few weeks ago who said she had crunched numbers and done graphs, etc, You have so many costs running a game like this. Server costs, engineers, etc, people working on the game, people on the telephones, customer service tech support, It goes on and on and on. With the lack of real marketing its a shame I love this game so much but to see it run like this by cowboys its heartbreaking.
The tight-knit community here of fanboyism is really appalling. I know they love this game and all but they give such ridiculous rebuttals.

By the way. I think I know who you're talking about.

AlannTH
09.26.2012 , 05:15 AM | #349
Quote: Originally Posted by Reble-Dog-Squad View Post
Just maybe, their contract ended and they took their bundle of cash and left, wouldn't you if you had the money they had from the sale of their company.

Another possible reason could be that they where to stay on until a certain point and then had to leave as part of the EA's acquisition of Bioware. you know as per the agreement of sale.
Maybe, maybe not. Imagine TOR was your baby, you put so much of your life into making it a reality and then after almost a year you see it being run so badly, maybe they had enough and left. Now TOR has no one stearing the ship. I hope im wrong but the way the game is being run It would not surprise me that they just wanted out. Subcribers down, FTP being introduced, servers cut, two founders leaving its business suicide.

Caer
09.27.2012 , 02:02 AM | #350
This reminds me so heavily of when SWG was in its death throes. Sever consolidations came first.

A bit sad and ironic, really.