Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

PvP Leveling Viable?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
PvP Leveling Viable?

JoshDizzy
09.24.2012 , 03:58 PM | #1
Hello - I am a level 20 Sniper on one of my alts at the moment and i was wondering if i could level up doing solely PvP and daily's (Such as War zone daily, Flashpoint daily's etc....) and would it be faster then just going through the game normally. Or would it be faster to just go through the game normally whilst only PvP'ing every once in a while and, if so, how much faster would it be? (Just a rough estimate)
Thanks!
~Dizzy

Alvantes
09.24.2012 , 04:04 PM | #2
I prefer pvp, so what I do is work on quest series until pvp pops, but am constantly qued for pvp. Not sure how much longer or shorter it is, but much more enjoyable.
SWG - Bria - Rogue Battalion <-RgB->

kingrimlock
09.24.2012 , 04:06 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by JoshDizzy View Post
Hello - I am a level 20 Sniper on one of my alts at the moment and i was wondering if i could level up doing solely PvP and daily's (Such as War zone daily, Flashpoint daily's etc....) and would it be faster then just going through the game normally. Or would it be faster to just go through the game normally whilst only PvP'ing every once in a while and, if so, how much faster would it be? (Just a rough estimate)
Thanks!
~Dizzy
Questing will always be faster in terms of leveling. However, some people truly enjoy PvP so they don't mind the longer leveling time. Personally I like to do a pretty even mix of PvP and questing up to level 40. Then at that point, I mostly do PvP in order to max out my comms for when I hit 50.

BlindingShadow
09.24.2012 , 04:11 PM | #4
Sadly, leveling solely through pvp is much longer than through planetary quests. Doing quests you will level every 45-75 min, finishing up one planet area, whereas you will level every 2+ hrs pvping. Although I haven't tried the legacy pvp exp buff yet, some of my guild mates say it only helps marginally.
I recommend you do your pvp daily (which makes the 1-2 games you play worth the exp), then do quests for faster leveling. Plus, you can then benefit from legacy unlocks gained through the class storyline.
Umbras Quis, Republic Special Forces
Smuggler; Scoundrel
Prophecy of the Five Server

BanetheDarkLord
09.24.2012 , 04:34 PM | #5
I have been leveling most of my alts by playing PvP and just class quests. I have the legacy bonus exp for PvP so its not too slow. The daily is VERY worth it for leveling. I just generally enjoy PvP and feel like I know my class even better than when I leveled my main or 2nd alt. The challenge of playing against actual players forces you to really use your array of abilities instead of getting in a consistent easy mob killing rotation.

I usually go through the whole prologue doing all the quests on the starting planets and Coruscant/Dromund Kaas. After doing that do all the space missions and then PvP until I feel like taking care of my class quests on the next planet. It gives me a good boost to easily go through the class quests. The only downside is eventually when you get between 30-40 you feel really undergeared unless you do FPs, which helps keep your gear up to date.
Ry'tan-Juggernaut-55 | Treys'n-Powertech-55 | Velmir-Operative-55 |
Lurruh-Sage-21 | Sellysha-Mercenary-45 | Zarruh-Assassin-41

TheronFett
09.24.2012 , 04:51 PM | #6
The answer is yes, but it will take a bit longer. Be sure to purchase all of the legacy boost to PvP xp options, which will grant you an extra 30%.

Queue up for PvP while you're out questing. It should take 10-15 days to hit 50 with a new character using this method. Personally, I only do class quests anymore unless it's late or I'm bored with PvP. Questing has the added bonus of giving you comms, which (as posted above) helps keep your gear updated. Unless you have other characters who can spoon feed your alts cash and gear.

Solarenergy
09.24.2012 , 06:45 PM | #7
I do a LOT of PVP, but the only character I have ever tried leveling SOLELY through PVP is my assassin. All the other characters, I would do some planet quests, especially at earlier levels. With my assassin, I haven't done anything except class quests. Yeah it does take a while, but I can PVP for hours when I have the time, so I don't mind it. And I found I was leveling too fast when I did a lot of quest plus the PVP anyway.

Antipodes
09.24.2012 , 06:51 PM | #8
Even with all of the legacy warzone exp boosts, it took me 8 day 8 hrs played of warzone leveling to get to 50 on my alt.

The upside is that you can max your warzone commendations before hitting 50 (3500 rwz comms, 2000 wz comms).

Still, it's much faster to level to 50 with quests and space mission dailies. It takes about 4-6 days played if you take your time through quests. If you're speed-leveling, you can space bar your way through quests and get to 50 with two days played.

Voranis
09.24.2012 , 07:13 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Antipodes View Post
Even with all of the legacy warzone exp boosts, it took me 8 day 8 hrs played of warzone leveling to get to 50 on my alt.

The upside is that you can max your warzone commendations before hitting 50 (3500 rwz comms, 2000 wz comms).

Still, it's much faster to level to 50 with quests and space mission dailies. It takes about 4-6 days played if you take your time through quests. If you're speed-leveling, you can space bar your way through quests and get to 50 with two days played.
Ok I was getting ready to say "4 to 6 days /played?" but then you followed up.

The legacy exp perk basically puts you back at the amount of exp you used to get for WZ's. Not sure when it happened, but at some point they reduced exp acrost the board. (then again I might be remembering beta levels)
The biggest problem is that leveling this way is entirely queue dependent.
When you're going through class and planetary quest lines you don't have to sit in a queue.
If you only play during 'prime time' hours then it isn't bad.
What I generally do on alts is PvP while the gettin's good, then when the queue slows down I go back to my class/planet quests.
The upside of this is that you pretty much stay a couple levels above your quests, which makes them quick and easy to run through.

In fact I would say the fastest way to level is running class/planet missions with PvP/space missions as fillers in between planets or any time you fall below your quests listed levels.

But the real "best" way to do it, is to play what you enjoy and let the levels take care of themselves.
I'm up to 5 lv 50's now and the 'desire' and/or 'excitement' of gaining levels just isn't there any more.
When I'm playing my lower level alts I'm more than happy just to run around killing this or that and sooner or later I might run acrost my quest mobs. Streaking through a WZ. Taunting opposite faction players outside their outposts on som planets. If I happen to level up that day 'great', if not....'great'.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
One man's fate decided by another man's wait.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Voranis Cometchaser-Master Bounty Hunter/Creature Handler-Bloodfin

Serbegorn
09.24.2012 , 07:44 PM | #10
Questing and the storylines blow goats imnsho. Make leveling thru pvp actually viable and I'll re-roll instead of canceling my sub... which is going to be very soon.