Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

1.4 and the death of the Viglance Guardian.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Guardian / Juggernaut
1.4 and the death of the Viglance Guardian.

KarethRiker
09.21.2012 , 11:35 AM | #31
I've got a vigilance guardian, but have never played Focus. Is there a good guide on PVE Focus (rotation, gear and spec)?

Quote: Originally Posted by Marqhill View Post
Have you seen the buffs that the Focus skill tree is getting? I did. If you didn't here they are.

I'd like to think that you can draw the same conclusions that I was able to. Basically the DPS in the Focus skill tree has been inexplicably buffed to levels that have made it MUCH more powerful than it was in 1.1 if I read everything correctly. I mean, with the ability to reduce the cool down of Force Sweep by just using your regular rotation, flat 30% armor penetration, the focus cost reduction of Force Sweep in addition to the the extra Focus Generation from using Combat Focus. You will basically be able to use Force Sweep for an automatic Critical hit every 8 seconds. Zealous Leap, which is actually overall a better ability than Overhead Slash, is going to be on a significantly shorter cool down as well because of the new buffs. With the extra 15% Critical hit chance and extra 6% damage that you get on Dispatch that means Dispatch will be doing as much damage in Focus Spec as it does in Vigilance and if you have the average 30% critical hit chance then you'll have a 45% flat critical hit chance on Dispatch without having to proc any abilities or do even the most remotely complicated rotation. Basically every other Dispatch is going to be a critical hit without going Deep Vigilance. So basically the only thing left to make the Vigilance skill tree special is Unremitting. Which is the ability that every Vigilance/Defense Hybrid class is going to have anyway. So where does that leave Vigilance as a worthwhile spec? Nowhere! That's where! I mean, Focus will be able to shorten the main DPS rotation to match the speed of Vigilance except they have better armor penetration and better AOE damage. Full Defense and Defense/Vigilance will be able to handle PvP tanking. Focus will do all the PvP damage in a shorter amount of time then you can ever ask for. At this point there's nothing special left about the Vigilance skill tree comparatively.

Now I will say the way people have optimized their gear is going to have to change. Most Focus players dropped all accuracy and dropped all crit and just went pure power/surge. With the way that the Focus skill tree works now your melee abilities are going to hold greater importance than before. That means accuracy is going to be a stat that you'll want to have because Strike, Sundering Strike, Zealous Leap, Master Strike and Dispatch are all attacks that rely on accuracy. Critical hit chance is another stat that you're going to have to mix in because you while you do have a 100% crit chance on force sweep you still want to critically hit with the flurry of other attacks you'll be using during the course of your rotation.

Basically the stat balance that the Vigilance Guardians currently strive to attain is what you'll want for Focus. That would look something like 1000+ primary damage, 30% critical hit chance, 75% surge 100% accuracy unbuffed. With a more balanced stat rotation Focus Guardians will be unstoppable killing machines that should inarguably rival the current assault Vanguard. Don't get me wrong I've been playing Vigilance since 1.1 when it actually was kind of underpowered. But with these ridiculous buffs to Focus I'd kind of be crazy not to play Focus instead.

vimm
09.21.2012 , 01:18 PM | #32
As a Vengeance Juggernaut who primarily PvP's, this brings me many frowns.
geeR
Phantom of the Operative

durhame
09.23.2012 , 03:09 AM | #33
Gonna be wierd for a second here. Why are you guys complaining about Vigi again? Vigi is vigi. It in and of itself is a play style. It is a great single target, fantastic survivable option in pvp and pve. It hasn't changed.. so why are you guys crying? One aspect of a guardian changed and your crying? If you like focus playstlye then great, if not stay vigi. either case, why cry? If your crying about ranked wzs, then *** as any good team would and should have one vigi if for nothing else to harass healers and manage nodes or doors. so again. there is no death of a vigi. soo. please remind me again why someone thinks vigi will go away?

Teioh_White
09.23.2012 , 03:52 AM | #34
I'd have to disagree strongly with Vig being a favored option for RWZ, but that's another topic.

Main thing is, Vig as a dps spec was fairly questionable to use instead of Focus. With Focus getting some very nice buffs, and Vig getting nothing, it's hard to justify playing a clearly lesser spec for dealing damage. Really though, with how awful Defense is, Vig is close enough to the tank tree, and that'll likely be it's only optimal use for Guards now.

Bare-Giin
09.23.2012 , 04:47 AM | #35
Well I'll play vengeance and I love it. I usally is on par (if not more) in dmg with rage/focus guardians as well as marauders/sentinels at the end of the wz and besides I'll usally gets more kiling blows than any class/specc.
Giin
DRAMA
Tomb of Freedon Nadd EU

Mattmonkey
09.23.2012 , 02:57 PM | #36
Quote: Originally Posted by Teioh_White View Post
I'd have to disagree strongly with Vig being a favored option for RWZ, but that's another topic.

Main thing is, Vig as a dps spec was fairly questionable to use instead of Focus. With Focus getting some very nice buffs, and Vig getting nothing, it's hard to justify playing a clearly lesser spec for dealing damage. Really though, with how awful Defense is, Vig is close enough to the tank tree, and that'll likely be it's only optimal use for Guards now.
vigi is not for pvp. its OK for pvp but its designed for pve. Focus is great for pvp. it will be even better for pvp after 1.4.

I agree quite the complaining

RyderQuanTy
09.23.2012 , 03:50 PM | #37
I disagree vigilance is very very goood in pvp right know but after 1.4 it going to be maddening. Like pre1.2. Sorcers and sages will be unkillabe for us and many of the PT and tropers are going to move into the tactic/AP tree. For the vigilance force leap - master strike will be useless as they break your root and run away and we have no way to back into melee range . Shadows got a buff and can fight better in melee with 360 degree attack angle And now all the stuns are 10m max so we are going to eat everyone and ranged classes wil never be stunned improving there effectivenees and a team mate can no longer set up to keep someone in range. I been playing vigilance since launch and from what i see 1.4 is going to be a rough ride . May be time to move on.
" The force is only for defence. There is no why"

Mattmonkey
09.24.2012 , 03:17 PM | #38
Quote: Originally Posted by RyderQuanTy View Post
I disagree vigilance is very very goood in pvp right know but after 1.4 it going to be maddening. Like pre1.2. Sorcers and sages will be unkillabe for us and many of the PT and tropers are going to move into the tactic/AP tree. For the vigilance force leap - master strike will be useless as they break your root and run away and we have no way to back into melee range . Shadows got a buff and can fight better in melee with 360 degree attack angle And now all the stuns are 10m max so we are going to eat everyone and ranged classes wil never be stunned improving there effectivenees and a team mate can no longer set up to keep someone in range. I been playing vigilance since launch and from what i see 1.4 is going to be a rough ride . May be time to move on.
So respec focus and play the tree designed for pvp. youl have to relearn rotations and actions but i dint get the problem

vimm
09.26.2012 , 04:58 AM | #39
This is regarding full vigilance, for people who don't understand that - not hybrids.
geeR
Phantom of the Operative

Marqhill
09.26.2012 , 08:57 AM | #40
Quote: Originally Posted by vimm View Post
This is regarding full vigilance, for people who don't understand that - not hybrids.
Yeah, I don't know if I made that clear in my original post. Pre 1.4 I was playing full Vigilance in 1.3 and before and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I used to take Vigilance all the way up to Plasma Brand but now there's absolutely no way that a full Vigilance Guardian can match the DPS of a Focus Guardian in PvP specifically. I can't say for PvE but for PvP Focus is the only skill tree worth using after 1.4. Some people are saying before 1.4 Vigilance wasn't all that great for PvP, but the damage was good and it was great to be so survivable. But now that's right out the window. If you PvP as a Guardian you need to either be Focus spec or a Vigilance/Defense hybrid.