Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Same gender relationships clarifications?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Same gender relationships clarifications?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

natashina
09.22.2012 , 06:53 PM | #1611
Thanks for the great read guys! It's always nice to meet new posters that have enthusaism for both the game and for SGRs in general(I love your name Moogle) I'm going to go hang out with my new dog, and enjoy the read over the next few days. Her name is Vivi.

Uluain
09.22.2012 , 06:53 PM | #1612
As far as I can determine, Jeff Brown is still EA's VP of corporate communications, and last April, responding to questions regarding the intense lobbying efforts of socially conservative groups challenging EA's stance on inclusiveness, he said:

Quote: Originally Posted by Jeff Brown
EA has not been pressured by any groups to include LGBT characters in our games. However, we have met with LBGT groups and sponsored industry forums to discuss content and harassment of players in online forums. In short, we do put options for same-sex relationships in our games."
It's not just a BioWare thing. It's something EA, BioWare and LucasArts are agreed on. I don't think the retirement of this, that or the other executive is going to change that at this stage of the game.

natashina
09.22.2012 , 06:57 PM | #1613
I'm going to put that quote from Jeff Brown into the updated FAQ, since it helps clarify EA/BW's ongoing stance towards SGRs.

Uluain
09.22.2012 , 07:00 PM | #1614
Quote: Originally Posted by natashina View Post
I'm going to put that quote from Jeff Brown into the updated FAQ, since it helps clarify EA/BW's ongoing stance towards SGRs.
Check out the whole article, as there are other quotes from Jeff there, as well, that can clarify this, as well.

natashina
09.22.2012 , 07:06 PM | #1615
I got a chance to read the article months back, but I hadn't thought of it in awhile. I did make sure to embed the link. That way it helps save the FAQ from getting too much bigger, and the full article is easy to reach.

If anyone here hasn't read that article, check it out. It's a good one.

Edit: I had to pull up my favorite quote from the article:

Quote: Originally Posted by Jeff Brown
"Every one of EA's games includes ESRB content descriptors so it's hard to believe anyone is surprised by the content. This isn't about protecting children, it's about political harassment,"
Edit #2: Are there any quotes in particular that you guys think that should be onto the FAQ other than the one Uluain mentioned earlier?

Kioma
09.22.2012 , 07:56 PM | #1616
Quote: Originally Posted by natashina View Post
Edit #2: Are there any quotes in particular that you guys think that should be onto the FAQ other than the one Uluain mentioned earlier?
I trust your judgement.
::Please Stand By, Signature Assessment Probe Commencing Analysis::

Darkfalconheart
09.22.2012 , 11:20 PM | #1617
Quote: Originally Posted by Kioma View Post
It's an old point but very well-phrased. Let's put a few things on the tables, though:

The critical response to the newer trilogy of movies was, to put it mildly, not entirely in Lucas's favour. Nonetheless he stuck to his guns and faced down a planet of fans who were all going, 'Mitichlorians? Double-you tee eff, George?' George Lucas is not a man to be swayed by popular opinion of approved content (for good or ill).

Both he and Lucasfilm have donated to same-sex equality causes. I'm sure people could dig up the specifics, but the point is they haven't been shy about doing so.

George Lucas also maintains an iron grip on certain aspects of the Star Wars universe. When a specific card in a print run of the Star Wars collectible card game showed a bunch of Yoda-species people standing around a statue worshipping it he had the entire print run of cards pulped rather than let a single one of that card into the world. If he or Lucasarts were so opposed to the subject then Ms Traviss's book would never have made it to print. There would also be no same sex content in any of the previous Star Wars games (I haven't played them but I'm told there were same sex options in the KotOR games).

So truly I don't believe Mr Lucas or Lucasarts are behind this. And if by some unexpected tragedy they are behind it then I've no doubt it will eventually come to light.
First - thanks for clarification. I tried to dig through this thread but it's somewhat of a long read. The KOTOR content you are referring to would be Juhani, I guess. She was supposed to be a female/female romance but it was cut down to a kind of friendship in the end. I don't recall any other SGR options there.

I really hope they'll stick to their promise and bring some SGR content in. Hopefully with some interessting companions as well.
"The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and go. What was, what will be, and what is, may yet fall under the Shadow. Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time."

Kioma
09.22.2012 , 11:25 PM | #1618
Quote: Originally Posted by Darkfalconheart View Post
First - thanks for clarification.
No problem at all, and welcome to the thread.

I tried to dig through this thread but it's somewhat of a long read. The KOTOR content you are referring to would be Juhani, I guess. She was supposed to be a female/female romance but it was cut down to a kind of friendship in the end. I don't recall any other SGR options there.
Juhani is the one, if I recall correctly. I never played them so I couldn't say for sure.

I really hope they'll stick to their promise and bring some SGR content in. Hopefully with some interessting companions as well.
Honestly, I still have faith. It's bruised faith but still there. I was very impressed with the inclusion in ME3 and I'm hoping for more of the same here.
::Please Stand By, Signature Assessment Probe Commencing Analysis::

Darkfalconheart
09.22.2012 , 11:28 PM | #1619
Quote: Originally Posted by Kioma View Post
No problem at all, and welcome to the thread.

Juhani is the one, if I recall correctly. I never played them so I couldn't say for sure.

Honestly, I still have faith. It's bruised faith but still there. I was very impressed with the inclusion in ME3 and I'm hoping for more of the same here.
Thanks for the warm welcome.

I was a fan of both KOTOR games... and I admit I wanted a male romance for either Carth or Canderous... got me nicely flamed in some forums too.

I so agree with you on ME 3. I was so amazed that even my hacked romance save from ME1 worked near perfect when I transferred it over to 3. So maybe I should take your example and not give up early.
"The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and go. What was, what will be, and what is, may yet fall under the Shadow. Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time."

Uluain
09.22.2012 , 11:30 PM | #1620
When Gabe Amatangelo gave his interview, he seemed not entirely sure when SGRs were coming, as he is the lead PvP guy, not Story. But he was not at all uncertain that the content is in development and in fact slated for inclusion, if not with Makeb (which, given comments about Makeb being the Story content patch, seems likely) then at least in the not-too-distant future.

Hopefully, the Community Team will be able to tell us more soon.

And yes, there is a ton to read through here, a lot of it griping about not getting info. If you have specific questions, though, do ask as some of us do know what has (and hasn't) been said and are happy to clarify.