Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Tanking in this game sucks


POPsi's Avatar


POPsi
09.20.2012 , 02:45 AM | #21
^ What he said. Our tank yesterday did the same, start with saber throw, never jumping in as a starter. He was good, didn1t really have to heal him, only a fresh 50 dps merc, healed my you know what out to keep him alive

Atramar's Avatar


Atramar
09.20.2012 , 03:11 AM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by POPsi View Post
^ What he said. Our tank yesterday did the same, start with saber throw, never jumping in as a starter. He was good, didn1t really have to heal him, only a fresh 50 dps merc, healed my you know what out to keep him alive
saber is a good thingy to build up rage any ways, so should be start if rage == 0.
Tracer Legacy, The Red Eclipse.
Not reading colored text, it hurts my eyes. Sorry (unless it's a dev post)
L55:Sniper,Operative,Juggernaut,Assassin,Marauder, Powertech,Guardian,Commando,Scoundrel
to finish:Shadow(41),Sage(53),Merc(39). 29.07.2013

crazyBE's Avatar


crazyBE
09.20.2012 , 07:09 AM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by cjakubow View Post
If you have wondered why there are not enough tanks queuing for HM's and raiding, you only have to look at the mechanics in this game.
Nope, it's because people playing knight want OP sentinel, people playing vanguard want OP assault and people playing shadow want easier leveling with infiltration stealth boost.

Quote: Originally Posted by cjakubow View Post
Just about half of everything in this game stuns the tank, or knocks me back 100 feet and snares me, or CC's me, or stuns me, knocks me back and CC"s me.
That's odd I've fought everything in this game and not even 1% does that more often than the cd on my gap closer if you cannot INTERRUPT it.

Quote: Originally Posted by cjakubow View Post
The issue is exacerbated because DPS tend to just jump in .01 second after me and start blasting on the thing. Meanwhile I'm two miles away because I've been knocked back into the last room and am snared and/or rooted and some idiot Marauder is getting laid on by some huge robot and complaining that I can't hold threat.
Taunts: put you on top of the threat table giving you 1.3x the threat of the previous threat holder and making said mob attack you for a few seconds even if during that debuff someone else would have pulled threat.

You have 2 taunts. Can't hold threat? Use your high threat moves -> taunt -> aoe taunt right after your taunt runs out putting you pretty damn high on the theat table making it nearly impossible for DPS to get threat again.

You have all the tools you need to be perfectly fine tanking and dealing with the enemies. Learn how they work and know when to use them.

Eyesmindassassin's Avatar


Eyesmindassassin
09.20.2012 , 12:29 PM | #24
As much as it's entertaining that the loud minority in this thread think tanking is fine, I'd much rather they make tanking extremely faceroll so that there are actually tanks than to leave it the way it is where there are no tanks. If tanking were so fun and better than in other games, then why is there so few tanks? The answer: it's not. Or at least, not to the vast majority of people who play this game, which are indeed casual. I'm actually a former casual player myself and hardcore now, but even still, my guild which is doing Explosive Conflict right now can barely manage one, maybe two tanks at best. Our main tank is a tank alt and actually would rather DPS, but has to tank because there are none. The other tanks aren't on very much or are main spec DPS. Other than that, we have to get tanks from other guilds to tank for us because there are no tanks.

Bottom line, I don't care how rewarding tanking is in this game if there aren't even enough people who want to do it. I tanked a bit myself until I realized how bad everyone is. Every time a DPS would attack the wrong target it would make me rage and want to quit the group. Same with when a healer would ask for Guard, etc. Most people just don't know how to play and don't understand game mechanics. The game needs to be designed around that instead of ignoring it if it wants to survive any longer than it already will, which isn't that long judging by how many subs it's losing every quarter.

Codek's Avatar


Codek
09.20.2012 , 12:37 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Eyesmindassassin View Post
As much as it's entertaining that the loud minority in this thread think tanking is fine, I'd much rather they make tanking extremely faceroll so that there are actually tanks than to leave it the way it is where there are no tanks. If tanking were so fun and better than in other games, then why is there so few tanks? The answer: it's not. Or at least, not to the vast majority of people who play this game, which are indeed casual. I'm actually a former casual player myself and hardcore now, but even still, my guild which is doing Explosive Conflict right now can barely manage one, maybe two tanks at best. Our main tank is a tank alt and actually would rather DPS, but has to tank because there are none. The other tanks aren't on very much or are main spec DPS. Other than that, we have to get tanks from other guilds to tank for us because there are no tanks.

Bottom line, I don't care how rewarding tanking is in this game if there aren't even enough people who want to do it. I tanked a bit myself until I realized how bad everyone is. Every time a DPS would attack the wrong target it would make me rage and want to quit the group. Same with when a healer would ask for Guard, etc. Most people just don't know how to play and don't understand game mechanics. The game needs to be designed around that instead of ignoring it if it wants to survive any longer than it already will, which isn't that long judging by how many subs it's losing every quarter.
You got a mis-conception on why people don't tank. It's not because people feel that it's too hard but that it's not self gratifying on the basis that you don't see bigger numbers as you improve.

The standard for a good tank is one that is alive (and keeps others alive) at the end of a battle and that doesn't change from the beginning of the game to the end. DPS get self gratification by seeing bigger and bigger numbers so they feel that they are amazing and experience improvements as they play.

Your solution to the problem would simply remove what little motivation there is to play a tank. If you can't fail at tanking and there is no scale to show your success, why play to begin with? Someone else could do it just the same...

At least currently there is a clear distinction between those who know what they are doing vs those who don't. True self gratification is achieved by surviving what others can not do. That is why we tank!
~Codek

Khevar's Avatar


Khevar
09.20.2012 , 12:59 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by Eyesmindassassin View Post
As much as it's entertaining that the loud minority in this thread think tanking is fine, I'd much rather they make tanking extremely faceroll so that there are actually tanks than to leave it the way it is where there are no tanks. If tanking were so fun and better than in other games, then why is there so few tanks? The answer: it's not. Or at least, not to the vast majority of people who play this game, which are indeed casual. I'm actually a former casual player myself and hardcore now, but even still, my guild which is doing Explosive Conflict right now can barely manage one, maybe two tanks at best. Our main tank is a tank alt and actually would rather DPS, but has to tank because there are none. The other tanks aren't on very much or are main spec DPS. Other than that, we have to get tanks from other guilds to tank for us because there are no tanks.

Bottom line, I don't care how rewarding tanking is in this game if there aren't even enough people who want to do it. I tanked a bit myself until I realized how bad everyone is. Every time a DPS would attack the wrong target it would make me rage and want to quit the group. Same with when a healer would ask for Guard, etc. Most people just don't know how to play and don't understand game mechanics. The game needs to be designed around that instead of ignoring it if it wants to survive any longer than it already will, which isn't that long judging by how many subs it's losing every quarter.
I had to re-read your post several times trying to decide if you're just trolling for a response. In the end I decided to bite, hope I'm not wrong.

Loud minority? Other than the OP and you, everyone in this thread posted how much they enjoy tanking. Who's in the minority again? Also, I've talked to many players and the only time I've ever seen anyone advocate making tanking faceroll simple is you and cjakubow.

After getting frustrated with bad players, your solution is redesign the game mechanics to make it easier? Since a well-played tank is only necessary for end-game operations, all you would do is make the game boring for the people that stick around to try and master these operations. Nope.

Codeplayer's Avatar


Codeplayer
09.20.2012 , 01:07 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by Eyesmindassassin View Post
As much as it's entertaining that the loud minority in this thread think tanking is fine, I'd much rather they make tanking extremely faceroll so that there are actually tanks than to leave it the way it is where there are no tanks. If tanking were so fun and better than in other games, then why is there so few tanks? The answer: it's not. Or at least, not to the vast majority of people who play this game, which are indeed casual. I'm actually a former casual player myself and hardcore now, but even still, my guild which is doing Explosive Conflict right now can barely manage one, maybe two tanks at best. Our main tank is a tank alt and actually would rather DPS, but has to tank because there are none. The other tanks aren't on very much or are main spec DPS. Other than that, we have to get tanks from other guilds to tank for us because there are no tanks.

Bottom line, I don't care how rewarding tanking is in this game if there aren't even enough people who want to do it. I tanked a bit myself until I realized how bad everyone is. Every time a DPS would attack the wrong target it would make me rage and want to quit the group. Same with when a healer would ask for Guard, etc. Most people just don't know how to play and don't understand game mechanics. The game needs to be designed around that instead of ignoring it if it wants to survive any longer than it already will, which isn't that long judging by how many subs it's losing every quarter.
You say this as if a huge lack of tanks isn't an issue on every other MMO out there. it seems worse in this game compared to say WoW, because instead of pairing 3 dps per tank they pair 2 dps, raising the number of tanks needed per dps by (I believe 50%) the shortage isn't really a shortage. I'm a tank, and I find tanking in this game extremely gratifying, and would not want it dumbed down at all.

AshlaBoga's Avatar


AshlaBoga
09.20.2012 , 01:28 PM | #28
Tanking in SWTOR isn't that hard, but it feels unrewarding somehow. As a healer and DPS I can feel my impact more on the flashpoint/Operation, whereas a tank I feel like a damage sponge that does some dps. But is tanking in SWTOR more difficult than tanking in WoW? No, not all. Is healing or dpsing in SWTOR more "fun" than tanking? Contextual, but in my experience, a little bit yes.
Typhojem Legacy, Jung Ma server
VICIOUS
Lord of Corruption

Khevar's Avatar


Khevar
09.20.2012 , 01:35 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by AshlaBoga View Post
Tanking in SWTOR isn't that hard, but it feels unrewarding somehow. As a healer and DPS I can feel my impact more on the flashpoint/Operation, whereas a tank I feel like a damage sponge that does some dps. But is tanking in SWTOR more difficult than tanking in WoW? No, not all. Is healing or dpsing in SWTOR more "fun" than tanking? Contextual, but in my experience, a little bit yes.
Interesting point. My tank is too low level to have a meaningful opinion on end-game stuff, but I do enjoy tanking lower-level flashpoints.

However, I will say that my respect for good tanks went way up when I first started EC. A sloppy Toth/Zorn swap can wipe the group. A smooth and well-executed T/Z swap is a beautiful thing -- like watching dinosaurs dance.

AshlaBoga's Avatar


AshlaBoga
09.20.2012 , 01:38 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by Khevar View Post
Interesting point. My tank is too low level to have a meaningful opinion on end-game stuff, but I do enjoy tanking lower-level flashpoints.

like watching dinosaurs dance.
THERE ARE DANCING DINOSAURS IN SWTOR????!!!

I've seen dancing Trandoshans but are there actually dancing Rancors, or whatever dinosaur equivalent you are referring to??? AWESOME
Typhojem Legacy, Jung Ma server
VICIOUS
Lord of Corruption