Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

I thought only transferred characters can lose their name?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service
I thought only transferred characters can lose their name?

DixieFlatline
09.19.2012 , 08:50 PM | #1
I have a character on Jung Ma that was created on day one when the game started. That character has always been on Jung Ma and was not a transfer, yet I am being told that I have to give up my characters name to someone else who is coming from outside? If this is true, then none of us can ever count on keeping our character names. Bioware, have you really fallen this far? Please, I beg you, make me believe it was a programming error. Tell me there was some mistake and correct it. I have a substantial RP investment tied up in this characters name, including written fiction and live RP. I sent in a ticket, but got the boilerplate reply, which makes me think the customer service rep didn't even read it. I spent years being screwed over by the jerks at SOE in SWG, and I'll be damned if I'm going to go through that again here. At this point, if it doesn't get fixed I don't know what I'll do. Once again I have made a huge investment of time and effort, only to have it stolen from me. Well, at least there are plenty of good games on Steam from independent developers that haven't succumbed to the EA profit monster. Maybe it's finally time to drop MMO's completely from my life.
Economic Advisor and Crafter Extraordinaire for www.mesonline.org
"Oh, I get it. Let's play with the old man's head, is it? He's half-senile, he'll forget I said anything! Wait uh, what was this about, anyway?" - Jolee Bindo

Rankyn
09.19.2012 , 09:13 PM | #2
All characters were transferred to new servers.
Those new servers had the same name as the old servers.

DixieFlatline
09.20.2012 , 08:33 AM | #3
Thank you, that at least explains what happened, although it still seems very unfair considering I had the character on this server name since the day the server first started. I need to go think about what I really want to do, but at this point if they are willing to change things that are critical to a players RP experience, then I don't have much hope things will get better instead of worse. Basically, Bioware is becoming just as arrogant as SOE was, especially with the Dr.'s retiring. Thanks EA, you've ruined yet another good game developer.
Economic Advisor and Crafter Extraordinaire for www.mesonline.org
"Oh, I get it. Let's play with the old man's head, is it? He's half-senile, he'll forget I said anything! Wait uh, what was this about, anyway?" - Jolee Bindo

Rankyn
09.20.2012 , 09:45 AM | #4
While it sucks, it's the way things are now.
They probably could have avoided confusion about this if they'd used new server names but they didn't.

So while you may have played on server X since the beginning, you're on server Y now and it just happens to have the same name as server X and the only way to be fair about it was to subject everyone to the same name conflict process.

Jackii
09.20.2012 , 09:48 AM | #5
It is my understanding that which ever character has the highest level gets to keep the name. For example, my level 34 lost his name to a level 36, mind you I have also been on the same server the whole time. I have also read that in the case of 2 characters with the same name and the same level, that the character with the most logged in "play time" wins the name and not who took up residence on the server first (I know that this is physically a new server, but they should have changed the name to stop confussion).

This is such a devistating blow to the fans and loyal players, especially those who vested time into their characters. If the purpose of a "Legacy" and the Family Tree page is so that players can create connections between their characters, how valid are these connections when we are forced to rename our characters? The worse part is that some of us use naming conventions for our characters (i.e John, John'jr, John'iii) and now that is interupted and we have a series like Lost'my'name, John'jr, John'iii, etc.

Wish you the best of luck rolling with the punches from the Devs

AlixMV
09.20.2012 , 10:27 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by DixieFlatline View Post
I have a character on Jung Ma that was created on day one when the game started. That character has always been on Jung Ma and was not a transfer, yet I am being told that I have to give up my characters name to someone else who is coming from outside?
There's a huge thread about this over on the General Discussion and Bioware's responded with:

When naming conflicts occur due to the consolidation, players are given priority based on a variety of factors such as character play time and if they have already had to rename their characters as part of the first character transfer program back in June. Please do keep in mind that this does not encompass all of the factors taken into consideration, but those are an example of the major ones.

But to reiterate from that thread:
- This wasn't a 'transfer', it was a merger. Or as Mr. Gonzalez notes, "a consolidation".
- EVERYONE's characters were moved to a new server/environment. There is no 'coming in from outside'. The 'Jung Ma' servername is simply reusing a label.
- From gleaning from empirical evidence, at least one of the other factors seems to be character level--higher level characters with high play time have higher priority to the name over, say, a Level 1 character created on Day -7 to placehold the name.

I'd recommend heading to that thread I linked to for further discussion as I was noticing CS shutting down duplicate threads on this topic, and there's been a lot of conversation about it over there.
~ Jedi Covenant ~ (formerly Kass City & Canderous Ordo)
Sollyni ~ Brixyl ~ Jynnifyr / Serateh ~ Ydris