Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Name changes

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

AlixMV
09.18.2012 , 01:12 PM | #21
If you read the transfer stuff closely, the 'Destination' servers this time around are a bit of a misnomer--they're listed in the 'Origin' servers as well. My guess is that all servers in the Origin list were migrated onto new hardware (with the High Pop Server Tech installed on it) and it's just that one of the names was retained after the migration.

As another commenter mentioned, who got to retain the names was more complicated than the last round of transfers, where it was 'whoever was there first got to keep it'. From a comment made during the High Pop testing last week:

"Based on this test of the transfer system it appears to be the character that has had the name longer. I saw this based off of some comparison with my own toons and some of my guilds toons. So if you created a character on origin server X with the name Hans and someone else has a Hans on sever Y and you both are getting transferred to server Z then the person who has had the name longest appears to get claim over the name."

There are probably some other factors at work here, but--there's at least one possibility going on. You probably can't know how your character's name seniority is going to rank against someone else's.
~ Jedi Covenant ~
Sollyni ~ Brixyl / Serateh ~ Ydris

JovethGonzalez
09.18.2012 , 01:13 PM | #22 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
When naming conflicts occur due to the consolidation, players are given priority based on a variety of factors such as character play time and if they have already had to rename their characters as part of the first character transfer program back in June. Please do keep in mind that this does not encompass all of the factors taken into consideration, but those are an example of the major ones.

Spiderbubble
09.18.2012 , 01:14 PM | #23
I was on Bastion. Had a character that had to be renamed while I stayed on the Bastion...

What sense does this make? Please fix this. I'm not renaming the character whose name has to be changed. The other people who came on the server need to. I was here first.

Utra
09.18.2012 , 01:17 PM | #24
I love that ive been playing since launch, that i cancelled my subscription for a few months because i lost my job and the day after i come back without warning i was moved to another server and am forced to rename 3 of my characters.

One positive thing i will say about this patch is that the lag issues i used to have in crowded places have been completely resolved.
PROUD DECEMBERIST!
MMORPGs Played: Star Wars: The Old Republic (BETA), Star Trek: Online (BETA) , Stargate: Worlds (BETA), Star Wars Galaxies, Eve Online, and many more.

JimG
09.18.2012 , 01:17 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by MaximusRex View Post
I am pretty sure they just reused Server names, that everyone was transferred to a new server using the old names.
^^ This. I have 3 of my characters on The Harbinger which have to be re-named but on the mouse-over, it says that the Harbinger is the "origin shard". So they sent all West Coast PVE to the same server and just re-used the name - The Harbinger - but we're all treated like we're first-timers to that server.

Why on Earth would they NOT explain this to people ahead of time? Talk about a PR mess. This whole thing is a complete mess. Instead of common first names and uncommon Legacy names....which would have made total sense.....we get the complete opposite. This whole thing smacks of horrible planning. They should have had everyone select a unique global name to identify them in the databases so that first names could be duplicated and then had legacy be a unique name.

Knightsire
09.18.2012 , 01:17 PM | #26
Making first names non-unique like Legacy names would resolve such conflicts.

You could do something like a unique key or ID that distinguishes people apart...call it a nick name or middle name...or something...

RazielHex
09.18.2012 , 01:18 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by chris_rw View Post
I was on Harbringer, and stayed on Harbringer with the server merges. Since I didn't move, why does it say I have to change my names?
I'm gonna bet because someone else had that name longer than you did.

yoshua
09.18.2012 , 01:19 PM | #28
why should you be exempt from name changes just because you are a destination server?

All that means is they kept your server name and merged YOU with all of the other servers on to a server with that name.

Most of us have already had to go through name changes, from what i understand this is VASTLY more fair than forcing me to chagne all of my characters names a second time.

That being said, I did have to change a few of my characters names. I even had characters on the shadow lands I made at launch with names I wanted to use before i changed servers. And some/most of them had to have name changes as well because I didn't play them as long as other people moving on to the server with the same names. No hard feelings, I definately think that the way bioware did it this round is fair.
Yoshua Acero
Pre-Cu Bria Vet - Master Doc/Master swords

Paid 15$ at Gamestop for my CE!

Urael
09.18.2012 , 01:20 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by JovethGonzalez View Post
When naming conflicts occur due to the consolidation, players are given priority based on a variety of factors such as play time and if they have already had to rename their characters as part of the first character transfer program back in June. Please do keep in mind that this does not encompass all of the factors taken into consideration, but those are an example of the major ones.
This is vague and not helpful (notice a trend? ). By play time do you mean:

1. Total play time of the ACCOUNT.
2. Total play time of the character (e.g. /played)

It should be based off the ACCOUNT creation date + continuous subscription time ( or longest subbed time if a break).

Clear as mud!! IAW, SSDD!! GJ JG, GJ!

Kirazy
09.18.2012 , 01:20 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by JovethGonzalez View Post
When naming conflicts occur due to the consolidation, players are given priority based on a variety of factors such as play time and if they have already had to rename their characters as part of the first character transfer program back in June. Please do keep in mind that this does not encompass all of the factors taken into consideration, but those are an example of the major ones.
1. Had to rename almost all of my characters, transferring over in the initial voluntary wave of transfers.
2. Now have to rename again on one of my characters. :<