Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

def/shield/absorb


Mindsting's Avatar


Mindsting
09.18.2012 , 12:40 AM | #21
Oh yeah totally understand that but that big 30k is just...mmmmmyesssss.

I haven't done any calculations to see the actual numerical difference of my setup vs optimal setup yet either. That would be nice to see.
Consular - 55 Shadow
JediConsular on Twitch
Begeren Colony

Dhariq's Avatar


Dhariq
09.20.2012 , 06:00 AM | #22
Do not check it as it will make you feel bad. The difference in incomming damage in like a kephess fight will make you cringe in how badly you mitigate compared to a 25k hp "mitigation Sin".
Why it becomes alot worse than you think is because of the simple fact that you do not start at 0 but at 3/4. So 1% mitigation loss for example will become something close to 4% more damage taken.

Mindsting's Avatar


Mindsting
09.20.2012 , 01:14 PM | #23
I've got a full set of defense augments and a full set of absorb augments on standby for when I need them in the end. I'm sure I'll end up having them for the new Operation. I probably have a bunch of 26 grade absorb stuff j-chillin in my inventory too.

At this point I've just been running around going "MEHHHH DGAF bzzzzzt (lightsaber sound)" etc etc.

I'll have to go back and find the optimal setup in the thread and switch over to it here soon.
Consular - 55 Shadow
JediConsular on Twitch
Begeren Colony

Dhariq's Avatar


Dhariq
09.21.2012 , 02:23 AM | #24
I do not think they will ever push hard on gear though. Sure it is fun to debate things but tbh the only thing you need in this game is check if you can be two shot, if not then either stack mitigation so the healers can take a nap while raiding, or stack endurance and make newbies think your awesome.

Edit: I realized that one time that it do make a differense is when you want to carry/gear up some new healer since then you ofc need to be on top of the game. In those cases it is awesome to be an optimal mitigation tank and not just a cool looking "mana sponge".

Mindsting's Avatar


Mindsting
10.05.2012 , 04:37 PM | #25
Here's that Mr. Robot you asked for! It's just from the first boss on HM TFB.

I have no clue how to decipher it really.
http://swtor.askmrrobot.com/combatlo...ayer/1#d=2,b=1
Consular - 55 Shadow
JediConsular on Twitch
Begeren Colony

Mallorik's Avatar


Mallorik
10.27.2012 , 02:39 PM | #26
People seem to make this subject way way more complicated than the way i see it, if im wrong one of you engineer types can correct me. but please try to do it with as little quantum physics as possible.

So most of the good research ive read says that def is hard capped at 30%(now im seeing 25%?) and shield/absorb at 50%. which means that if you go past those %'s you get no to very little gain.

This is where people screw up, the numbers on your character sheet are not the same as those hard cap numbers people are talking about.

Say your character sheet says you have 52% shield chance, if you mouse over it youll see it broken down into where you are getting that shield chance from. The line that says "Shield Rating" is the number youre looking for, once that goes over 50% (which is impossible to do right now) you dont want to put anyomore into shields. The shield chance you get from "Kills/Buffs" or "Shield Generator" does not count towards that hard cap.

So yes, if your character sheet says you have 60% shield chance, that is your shield chance, as long as your rating isnt over 50%.

SgtKlavier's Avatar


SgtKlavier
10.27.2012 , 08:50 PM | #27
Quote:
So most of the good research ive read says that def is hard capped at 30%(now im seeing 25%?) and shield/absorb at 50%. which means that if you go past those %'s you get no to very little gain.

This is where people screw up, the numbers on your character sheet are not the same as those hard cap numbers people are talking about.

Say your character sheet says you have 52% shield chance, if you mouse over it youll see it broken down into where you are getting that shield chance from. The line that says "Shield Rating" is the number youre looking for, once that goes over 50% (which is impossible to do right now) you dont want to put anyomore into shields. The shield chance you get from "Kills/Buffs" or "Shield Generator" does not count towards that hard cap.
Your analysis is correct, but when considering ratings you really don't want to be anywhere near the point where you are generating 30% or 50% from rating alone. The hard cap is an absolute value that requires an infinite amount of rating to produce the max percentage. The confusion comes in when, as you say, people mix up the hard cap from rating with the suggested value on your character sheet. It's interesting how the guideline total value for defense on a jugg, for example, is around 30% while the max percentage from rating is also 30%; not sure if this was planned or it just turned out that way.

Mallorik's Avatar


Mallorik
10.28.2012 , 12:08 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by SgtKlavier View Post
Your analysis is correct, but when considering ratings you really don't want to be anywhere near the point where you are generating 30% or 50% from rating alone. The hard cap is an absolute value that requires an infinite amount of rating to produce the max percentage. The confusion comes in when, as you say, people mix up the hard cap from rating with the suggested value on your character sheet. It's interesting how the guideline total value for defense on a jugg, for example, is around 30% while the max percentage from rating is also 30%; not sure if this was planned or it just turned out that way.
But even the soift caps are not possible to reach right now, meaning no matter what defensive stat you stack you will never get diminishing returns. So it just comes down to preference, youre too spikey? up your shield chance. taking too much overall dmg? up your def and abs.

On my gaurdian personaly(effective numbers) i stick with 50% shield , def atleast 30% the rest absorb. i dont use augs with with endurance because i find 24k more than enough hp (and ive played tanks long enough to know hp runs out and mitigation doesnt). I may up my shield chance at a later date when getting to a number like 55 or 60% is viable without gimping your other stats.

_gideon's Avatar


_gideon
10.28.2012 , 01:43 PM | #29
Your post implies diminishing returns don't start until after some threshold or softcap. They start from the first point. The stats also have an effect on each other (defence makes shield and absorb less important, shield and absorb make each other more effective).

That's why there's so much "quantum physics."

Fortunately the "engineers" have already done the hard work and now you only need to type your ratings into the green boxes on someone else's spreadsheet for it to show you the stat priorities.

Edit: Or in the case of the calculator linked below, the blue boxes.

FillionFan's Avatar


FillionFan
10.28.2012 , 01:54 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by Mindsting View Post
Oh yeah totally understand that but that big 30k is just...mmmmmyesssss.

I haven't done any calculations to see the actual numerical difference of my setup vs optimal setup yet either. That would be nice to see.
To those who want to compare stats between their setups or other tanks, here's an updated version of the original LagunaD sheet with Effective Health. It also has a section to compare gear changes. It's one of few ways to compare tank classes with some actual uniformity. I streamlined it for ease of use and updated class stats for 1.4. I think I have all the stats correct for PT/Sin tanks. If anyone can confirm them, that'd be awesome. Obviously, feel free to report any other issues as well.

The sheet has the standard LagunaD Squish, SigmaSquish and Spikiness metrics, as well as Effective Health calculation to compare endurance stacking somewhat. I also added a roll-by-roll calculation of Total Mitigation (a restatement of Squishiness really).

File > Copy to make your own if you find it useful.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...nhteGt0LXhXU0E