Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Server Consolidation

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Quinntenfelde
09.17.2012 , 04:29 PM | #101
Quote: Originally Posted by MrGrizzly View Post
I know emotions for some are high, and I want to acknowledge your frustration. Possibly having to pick another name for your characters is a rough thing. I know it's gonna happen to me with my characters on Fatman, while my characters on Jedi Covenant are safe this time around as I took the transfer earlier this year there and dealt with that pain then.

HOWEVER, if you like the game or if you want more content, this is a good thing. Less servers to maintain is hundreds of thousands in savings from maintenance, support, and other fixed costs. That money can now be used to meet the 6 week content commitment. You want the money going to new stuff in the game or maintaining hard assets? It also means faster patch times (fewer servers to patch).

Just a thought....doesn't take away the pain of finding a new name but to ME it makes the pain worth it for ME.
ill 1+ this.

Plasmachicken
09.17.2012 , 04:32 PM | #102
My only concern with this is they made it sound like you may have your characters spread out amongst other servers. If my characters get seperated and I am unable to move them all to the same server I will be cancelling my sub...

Cmder-Shepard
09.17.2012 , 04:35 PM | #103
What they really need to do for names is free up all the names that are on inactive accounts so when this happens tomorrow people still have a chance of getting names they already have on the new servers due to this. I know for a fact a few of my name will be gone probably from people who don't even play this game anymore who's characters are just holding up names others could have.
"I'm just a simple man, trying to make his way in the universe"
Formly Skieth - Joined: Dec 2008

MrGrizzly
09.17.2012 , 04:36 PM | #104
Quote: Originally Posted by Cmder-Shepard View Post
What they really need to do for names is free up all the names that are on inactive accounts so when this happens tomorrow people still have a chance of getting names they already have on the new servers due to this. I know for a fact a few of my name will be gone probably from people who don't even play this game anymore who's characters are just holding up names others could have.
Actually that's a GREAT idea! +1 and Kudos
MrGrizzly
http://www.torverse.com
The TORVerse Podcast

Glzmo
09.17.2012 , 04:39 PM | #105
Quote: Originally Posted by Fettered View Post
It is unclear, here is what the FAQ says

In the High population test server names were granted by age of character (or so it appeared), but that wasn't not a consolidation of existing servers, so it is hard to know how it will work out in the end. Given the huge number of servers being consolidated, names are going to become a scarce commodity.
Personally, I think that those that manually transferred should get to keep the names they already have on the destination server. There needs to be a reward for doing so willingly. Also, it isn't fair if players that already had to change their name when they manually transferred have to change it again, even though they remain on the same destination server.

Fettered
09.17.2012 , 04:44 PM | #106
Quote: Originally Posted by Glzmo View Post
Personally, I think that those that manually transferred should get to keep the names they already have on the destination server. There needs to be a reward for doing so willingly. Also, it isn't fair if players that already had to change their name when they manually transferred have to change it again, even though they remain on the same destination server.
There are a lot of problems though, because not only are the previously announced origin servers closing, but so are a number of the previously intended destination servers. I've got characters on Canderous Ordo, a destination server in the last round of free transfers and I'm being forcibly moved to Jedi Covenant now, where I will lose most of my names.

Narxivias
09.17.2012 , 04:44 PM | #107
How is it that after two freaking merges, I stil do not have the option to have my 4 empire characters be on the same server as my 4 republic characters?

My empire characters are on Correlia's run and my republic ones on Canderous Ordo.
This is getting ridiculous...

WHY CAN'T WE CHOOSE

Hexxas
09.17.2012 , 04:45 PM | #108
Quote: Originally Posted by Quinntenfelde View Post
ill 1+ this.
just one thing , in Eu we got customers rights and they are not obeying the eu laws , by just merge people together with out a fair warning and a fair warning is not a 12 hours notice , i payed for a full month on autoamich subscription today before they annoced this. so they pretty much , breaking EU laws , i do not what to be force to moved again , and since iv all ready payed for month , i like to have that money transfered back to my account or else i will contact my lawyers and sue EA game and bioware , for not obaying the trading laws of EU.

Bishop_Creed
09.17.2012 , 04:45 PM | #109
I've had to deal with name changes when I transfered from Sith Wyrm to Corellian Run and now I am going to have to do it again because my names are taken on the destination server, very very disappointing.

Gilack
09.17.2012 , 04:47 PM | #110
Quote: Originally Posted by MrGrizzly View Post
HOWEVER, if you like the game or if you want more content, this is a good thing. Less servers to maintain is hundreds of thousands in savings from maintenance, support, and other fixed costs. That money can now be used to meet the 6 week content commitment. You want the money going to new stuff in the game or maintaining hard assets? It also means faster patch times (fewer servers to patch).

In a dynamic load driven server system, it's the same amount of hardware, it just has fewer entry points, and barriers. The only way for your "massive" savings to come true is for massive numbers of people to stop playing.