Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Tanking in this game sucks

Atramar
09.14.2012 , 07:30 AM | #11
agreed, tanking is mostly fun and simple. mechanics makes it challenging.
get used to your rotations, and you will do good.

mitigation mechanics could get some work, but not complaining.
Tracer Legacy, The Red Eclipse.
Not reading colored text, it hurts my eyes. Sorry (unless it's a dev post)
L55:Sniper,Operative,Juggernaut,Assassin,Marauder, Powertech,Guardian,Commando,Scoundrel
to finish:Shadow(41),Sage(53),Merc(39). 29.07.2013

Codek
09.14.2012 , 07:41 AM | #12
I don't get it, is the OP asking for tanking to just be to stand in a place, maybe move to another place, and spam a rotation to survive? Isn't that what the DPS class is for?

If I was in the bosses shoe I'd be doing the same damn thing. why try to kill a tank when I can just stun/knock him and go for the squishies! You have to take control of the boss and say "No! I'm your problem whether you like it or not!"
~Codek

Flaminica
09.14.2012 , 09:40 AM | #13
I'm wondering what tanking class the OP is playing. In his defense I agree that some healers are way too lazy about cleansing the tank. Slows and roots may be only an annoyance to a PT or Vanguard who have more ranged options, but having seen Warriors jogging slowly back into melee, I can see that getting really old, really fast. The Op/Scoundrel cleanse is insta-cast and can be talented to have a heal component so there's really no reason not to be using it in regular rotation. I've no idea about the Inq/Trooper version though.

Also, in my experience Marauders really are idiots a startling proportion of the time. Sorry to the good ones (I know you're out there) but omg that class attracts morons.
Spearshakers
||

Aelrict
09.14.2012 , 09:48 AM | #14
[/QUOTE]Also, in my experience Marauders really are idiots a startling proportion of the time. Sorry to the good ones (I know you're out there) but omg that class attracts morons.[/QUOTE]

This... I feel the same way, in the past 3 weeks Ive only grouped with one mara who didnt try to tank/ run ahead of me. When I heal I let them die every single time.

TalantMAJR
09.14.2012 , 09:52 AM | #15
MY two cents, from having a 50 healer, tank and dps (one of each) i would say that though tanking is probably the most demanding, it's also the most rewarding/fun. I probably enjoy healing the most (overall) in this game, but when we succeed in down'ing an op boss or something and i'm on my tank, it feels amazing. I love the tanking in this game, and i hope it won't ever change.
Speaking of;
Quote: Originally Posted by Vankris View Post
Bioware, if you are listening, awesome design in tanking. please never revert back to zombie tanking like in wow, keep us engage in combat.
I cannot agree more.

Also,
"DPS is science, healing is art, tanking is strategy"
I'm totally stealing that, it's beautiful. :P
*Insert witty signature here*

vojinsa
09.14.2012 , 01:22 PM | #16

"DPS is science, healing is art, tanking is strategy"
Tanking IS strategy, know the pull, plan ahead
this should be stickied across time and space.

just giving my two creds but the OP will be in the majority once F2P is in full effect. Wow was turned into snooze mode because casuals wanted it and blizz listen to their wallets. tanking in this game is fun when the dps go from weak->strong and the healer helps when they can. if tanking in this game becomes a chore to the many ($ included) then the rest will have to fall in line (or bounce) when BW caters. slow time, smash, and flame sweep will have a map wide range plus 500% aggro. armor will stack 20% for 3 hours when walking. tanking stance will give ppl still lvln 25% xp bonus and 70% main stat bonus to max lvl players and their group.*

this an exaggeration..i hope.*
Quote:
Imperial Agent-If I brought you flowers, what would you do?
Kaliyo- Go look for a man?
I love Kaliyo.

Khevar
09.14.2012 , 01:41 PM | #17
A friend of mine went from a dps main to a tank main, loves it and says he will never go back, as tanking is so much more interesting to him.

Heck, his sales pitch got me to roll a tanking alt which I'm leveling up now -- I find it loads of fun (though I'm still pretty low level at the moment).

imperialmerc
09.14.2012 , 01:49 PM | #18
I have a level 50 endgame geared, DPS, Tank, and Healer. My next two characters are Tanks. What does that tell you?
Lagro level 60 Mercenary Sezzid level 60 Vanguard
Cezzid level 55 Operative Tuckeer level 55 Gunslinger
Snefru level 55 Sith Juggernaut Kam'ina level 60 Jedi Sentinel
Liadra level 56 Sith Assassin You're going down

ArchangelLBC
09.14.2012 , 02:13 PM | #19
I love my shadow tank. So much fun <3
In update 2.9 the game will simply uninstall itself for you.

-Wnd

Capt_Beers
09.19.2012 , 11:16 AM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by ArchangelLBC View Post
I love my shadow tank. So much fun <3
Totally agree. It almost feels like if you don't have a Shadow tank you're doing it wrong .

OP - If you're having problems with KB's (I'm assuming you're a Guardian/Jugg since Shadows should have problem with that and Vanguards can still have 30m options) try not leaping in. Start with Saber Throw from a moderate distance away so you can get in close enough for Force Scream/Blade Storm(?). By then you should be in range. If you get knocked back then you can use your leap.

I haven't really had too many problems on my Shadow with KB's but the Shadow tank has a ton of gap closers, stealth up, speed back, pull. But if ypou know they are coming you should be planning for them. Alternatively you could just let the impatient Maras leap in and eat the KB and then you could leap in and taunt. Not exactly "best practice" but it would work.
<HVND> <MALEVOLENT>
Keef-Stone 60 Serenity | | Keets-Stone 60 Seer | | Keith-Stone 60 Combat Medic | | Keeth-Stone 60 Vigilance
Keet-Stone 55 Focus | | CaptBeers 60 Arsenal | | Kee'th 60 Pyrotech | | FOTM-Reroll 55 Tactics