Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Tanking in this game sucks

cjakubow
09.13.2012 , 09:39 PM | #1
If you have wondered why there are not enough tanks queuing for HM's and raiding, you only have to look at the mechanics in this game.

I have tanked in just about every MMORPG I have played. I mostly enjoy it. I tank in this game. I find myself pulling my hair out more often than not. Just about half of everything in this game stuns the tank, or knocks me back 100 feet and snares me, or CC's me, or stuns me, knocks me back and CC"s me. It isn't fun, it isn't strategic, it's just frustrating and terrible. Even trash does this consistently. Stuns and knock backs should be used extremely sparingly. You have given NPC's so many powers that only players should have.

The issue is exacerbated because DPS tend to just jump in .01 second after me and start blasting on the thing. Meanwhile I'm two miles away because I've been knocked back into the last room and am snared and/or rooted and some idiot Marauder is getting laid on by some huge robot and complaining that I can't hold threat.

Yes I realize they should play smarter but you have to design around these kinds of issues.

Tanks have enough to deal with keeping threat on everything. We don't need to deal with getting stunned and shot around the room every pull.

Aelrict
09.13.2012 , 09:49 PM | #2
My main is a tank, I dont have problems being rooted, flung around, etc its part of the game and I have learned to deal with it/ work around it. Yes DPS needs to play with more intelligence, but they are DPS, facerolling through content is their mantra. Healers need to pay attention and cleanse/shield instead they are trying to DPS... In my opinion bad players are the problem, not mechanics.

Kabolt
09.13.2012 , 10:52 PM | #3
I also tank, my tank is my only lvl 50 so I can't compare tanking to DPS.
Yea there are a lot of nippy things in this game, like knock backs, stuns and cc's.
But I wouldn't change a thing with regards to that, if a tank just stood and held agro it would become really boring fast.
I often loose agro due to high DPS players or other tanks using taunt to pull from me, these things happen it's easy to get control of the fight again and as for other players, I find a quick explanation of what I need from them works everytime.

DrewFromPhilly
09.13.2012 , 11:48 PM | #4
To avoid some of the knockbacks I try and turn the person I'm holding threat on so that my back is facing a wall or a box or a table, or whatever. So if they do try a knockback I bounce off that and am right back in their face before too long.

Leiralei
09.14.2012 , 12:58 AM | #5
Simple but effective technique for making dps play smarter - let them die. Best used after asking them to give you a few seconds to build threat, and with a good healer who will support what you're doing. If they keep blasting big moves and pulling just about the same time you do, then they can face the repair bills.

Note that this is the only occasion where I advocate tough love.
:: लीर :: Commando :: Sage :: Scoundrel :: Guardian :: Powertech :: Assassin :: Operative :: Jugg :: Bioware Fangirl since NWN... RIP Bioware
Did they take out insurance on this game? I love it but its so weird.

Vankris
09.14.2012 , 01:17 AM | #6
i respectfully disagree, tanking in this game does not suck. I too have tanked in many MMO, last to date was wow (and the mot popular, so the one most people can relate to). Tanking in that game was mindnumbingly easy, with 500% increase threat and powerful AOE, you blast in god mode throughtout any dungeon, topping damage and never at risk of dying.... boring!

In star wars, tanking is different. First of all, you generate more aggro than any dps but not light years ahead, so you do have to keep a good rotation to keep the aggro.
And yes, in this game, mobs fight back!! Awesome. it make tanking more engaging, more dynamic
You have tools at your disposal.

If you are stun, you can break stun with the 2minute cooldown ability that everyclass have.
If you are knowk back, you can charge or sprint in.
this is basic stuff, but always tank with your back to a wall
More often than not, knock back or stun are actually cast than can be interrupt
almost every mob (except boss and some champion) can be stun, so use it.
your taunt has 30 meter range, don't wait you are in melee range to use it.

Finally i'll finish by my guild forum signature
"DPS is science, healing is art, tanking is strategy"
Tanking IS strategy, know the pull, plan ahead

Bioware, if you are listening, awesome design in tanking. please never revert back to zombie tanking like in wow, keep us engage in combat.
Shadow | Kinetic Combat

grallmate
09.14.2012 , 01:45 AM | #7
Tanking in this game is excellent. I love it! Its much more challenging than DPS and I love a good challenge.

PS. I assume you are a Guardian/Jugg if you're leaping and getting KB. Get Unremitting and this problem goes away.

xGBox
09.14.2012 , 04:07 AM | #8
I hope you're joking. So what you're saying is: The game throws mechanics at you, you're unable to react accordingly and suddenly it's the game's fault?

It's not like the game doesn't give you the proper tools to negotiate the abilities and mechanics that many of the enemies dish out. Pushed back? All tanks have gap closers. Stunned? Slowed? Rooted? All classes have movement-impairing self cleanses. Other players taking threat? All tanks have two taunts. All tanks generate 100% extra threat. All tanks have high threat generation abilities. Taking excessive damage? All tanks have defensive cooldowns.

If tanking is too frustrating, then don't tank. Tanking is not stressful, you just need to keep your cool and always know what ability to use when the time comes.
Sincerely,
Gearbox
The Software Legacy

LarryRow
09.14.2012 , 07:01 AM | #9
OP, what class are you?

I am a Guardian Tank and I know for a fact that I am spoiled rotten by the hybrid build that gives me Unremitting. Usually the mobs react with a knockback right away when you leap (like many players in pvp!), so I never feel the effects.

If I was another tank class, well, I would have a pull ability to get things started and my gap closer would still be available.

Yet more evidence that the Guardian's Defense tree is borked and going at least 12 points in Vigilance is a must.
A classic sig that should not be lost:
Quote:
Stunned , pew pew hack slash , stunned , running backward circles, stunned cannot move, pew pew, break stun, 30 second snare, wha?!?!!? stunned, knockdown, ...less stun more pew pew and hacknslash please.

Journeyer
09.14.2012 , 07:05 AM | #10
I love tanking in this game. Just my experience and opinion, but I have no trouble holding aggro and I do not believe a game that encourages teamwork and tactics should be designed to accommodate people who, as the OP says, don't pay attention and jump in.

In any endeavor in life, your enjoyment will be a factor of your expectations. If you expect the game to operate in a way that forgives a set of behaviours that you find undesirable, then I might suggest that it is easier to modify expectations than it is to modify a tightly-tuned team gaming experience.
I make useful, game-expanding suggestions.
Holorancor | Food! | Outfit Storage | My Career | Ultimate PvE Solution