Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Light Side Sith Inquisitor?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Light Side Sith Inquisitor?

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Rabenschwinge
09.13.2012 , 03:49 AM | #1
I am playing a light side sith inquisitor and wondered how other of you handle that. The idea is that she's not really acting out of defiance but out of a natural affinity to act calm and compassionate. She would really view herself as much dark side as it gets. The Sith Inquisitor, at least the female one, has something sly and witty about it that sometimes makes the light side options come relatively easy, sometimes it's simply the most logical solution because the dark side option would mean forfeiting valueable assets, but other times they are either dumb or dangerous. So far I have restrained myself from taking any dark side option, but it's getting harder.

I'll try to explain the situations vague, so they don't qualify as spoiler: Yesterday I freed a fellow Sith out of a prison and I wanted him to give me something particular of value to me. In the end there was no neutral option anymore. I can choose to not free him, threaten him or let him go. Two dark side and one light side. Now, considering that the guy was a self-important major jerk ("My contact mentioned that he was working with another Sith, but he didn't say it was a filthy alien") I felt really dirty after that scene.

At other times I let people go who actually may mean harm to the Empire in future. Such as a defector who proved helpful to me, but may very well work for the Republic in future. And the other choice would not have been to kill him, just force him to stay. It's one thing being nice to people if you can effort it, but another helping people to oppose the Empire.

Curiosuly alignment choices in either direction are often combined with accepting bribes, even light side ones. I don't know whether accepting a bribe to deviate from your principles is particularly light side.

So I wonder, do you light side Sith Inquisitors really always choose the light side, or click a dark side option every now and then if the light side really doesn't make any sense at all?
Ah, yes. "Reapers."

ShupFace
09.13.2012 , 07:42 AM | #2
If you don't mind not going all light side you could consider turning off (or ignoring) the alignment prompts and picking the option that feels best (even if it's just the least bad of several bad choices).

CthulhuRyleh
09.14.2012 , 11:30 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by ShupFace View Post
If you don't mind not going all light side you could consider turning off (or ignoring) the alignment prompts and picking the option that feels best (even if it's just the least bad of several bad choices).
This has been my philosophy for playing as well. LS/DS options are fun but are just secondary how my character acts, (or how I would imagine them to)

I totally see the OP's point though, I found many "good" choice were only good by comparison to the dark side options.
Killing him is bad.........but accepting a bribe is good! Where is the logic there?

JLazarillo
09.14.2012 , 04:42 PM | #4
I think, and this isn't just restricted to Inquisitors, but anyone, basically, who sticks entirely to choices of one side or another, probably isn't getting "into" their character very much. That's fine, of course, different people play for different reasons, and I myself don't RP, but I definitely have a personality and general attitudes in mind when I think up my characters. Sticking to one alignment or the other can actually make things feel more inconsistent than by taking the choices while completely ignoring the points you get from them. And since LS/DS doesn't really make much difference outside of equipping Relics, I don't feel it's any great waste to try and stay "in character" without worrying about such things.

Ravenharm
09.14.2012 , 05:05 PM | #5
i basically do the same thing. my sith inquisitor is a mostly lightsided guy with exception to killigs, hutts, or colocoids.
any incectile or slug race is "kill on site".

i'm playing a rattataki assassin and the way i would describe himwould be as a warrior philosopher. since his particular race is prone to conflict what better way to achive that result then to be a light sided sith?

Rabenschwinge
09.24.2012 , 04:28 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by JLazarillo View Post
And since LS/DS doesn't really make much difference outside of equipping Relic...
This is a bit painful.. the solution is to get a matrix cube early - get all the bloody datacrons on the planets you travel to. On level 50 the relics you get from daily commendations (and possibly those that drop on operations as well, I am not sure) do not have alignment restrictions. With my Sith Inquisitor I do not have that problem, of course, as opposed to my Imperial Agent.

Not being able to see the alignment point gain is certainly helpful, I finally disabled those somewhen last week. Casting away the likely reaction of your companion (at the moment I only have that big grunt) and the likely alignment gain is not quite as easy, of course.
Ah, yes. "Reapers."

chaosmadness
09.24.2012 , 04:52 AM | #7
Im lvling doing pvp/class quest and choose follow LS, but...damm, its a pain get LS points with the Sorcerer, im lv 38 atm and only have 2150 points. I get my first Relic at lv 37.

Rabenschwinge
09.24.2012 , 06:18 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by chaosmadness View Post
Im lvling doing pvp/class quest and choose follow LS, but...damm, its a pain get LS points with the Sorcerer, im lv 38 atm and only have 2150 points. I get my first Relic at lv 37.
But you do have a matrix cube in one of your relic slots?
http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=91505

Anyway there are some ways to "produce" light side points if needed. The diplomacy crew skill gives either light- or dark-side points on every single mission and many flashpoints (which can be repeated daily) come with dark- or light-side choices.
Ah, yes. "Reapers."

chaosmadness
09.24.2012 , 06:54 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Rabenschwinge View Post
But you do have a matrix cube in one of your relic slots?
http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=91505
Never farmed the Matrix relics before, we can have 2 Matrix relics or its unique ?

Rabenschwinge
09.24.2012 , 07:13 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by chaosmadness View Post
Never farmed the Matrix relics before, we can have 2 Matrix relics or its unique ?
It has little to do with farming, you just need to get the datacrons which have a matrix shard. It's not like it was a repeated process you have to perform over and over, you go there and take them, each is different. Personally I get all the datacrons on the planets I pass by. Some of them are useless (e.g. aim +2 on my primary character, a Jedi Shadow or the Sith Assassin this thread is about) but most have some use (presence and endurance are useful to any character, strength may be less important than willpower to a shadow or assassin, but it still increases lightsaber damage). A couple require you to be in a team, I know one on Quesh and one on Taris for which that is the case, requiring you to have three respectively two people to get them.

Paritcularly the ones on the starter planets are a simple matter of going there and taking them. Later ones require quite complicated jump-n-run stuff which can be quite frustrating at first, but once you get used to it, it comes naturally.

If you know which matrix shards you need, you might simply get those exact three shards, starting with those on the lowest level planets because those are mostly more simple to acquire. (Even though I know some on Coruscant which made me scream in frustration and others on Quesh that were simply laying about the place.)

But you can only have one.
Ah, yes. "Reapers."