Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Whos the bad guys?


liammozz's Avatar


liammozz
09.10.2012 , 02:01 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Tatile View Post
Well, the genocide doesn't help our image
its funny when you look at it as a whole if palp had of turned luke and crushed the rebellion the empire would be the good guys there writing the history books the republic would of been known as the evil ones

look at it this way if germany had of took the whole of europe and japan had of done there job and took care of america hitler would of been a war hero not a war criminal

messed up init

alricka's Avatar


alricka
09.10.2012 , 02:03 PM | #12
From the story and lore perspective, both the Empire and the Republic, as states, are not squeaky clean. The obvious answer is that the Empire are the "bad guys" but after leveling a Republic toon and nearing level 50, I'll tell you this - the Republic has some skeletons in the closet too; corrupt senators, murderous soldiers, extremely amoral secret projects - while not the norm, these things do happen in the Republic.

Now, the Sith Order in particular is pretty much evil but I have met decent non-Sith Imperials who fight on this side either because they don't have a choice or because they believe in their state and feel that they go to this war to protect the interests of their country.

Tatile's Avatar


Tatile
09.10.2012 , 02:07 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by liammozz View Post
its funny when you look at it as a whole if palp had of turned luke and crushed the rebellion the empire would be the good guys there writing the history books the republic would of been known as the evil ones

look at it this way if germany had of took the whole of europe and japan had of done there job and took care of america hitler would of been a war hero not a war criminal

messed up init
History is written by the winners. Right now? History is written by the political party with the most friends in the media. The Empire is ruled by propaganda, but then one must assume the Republic is also, it's just that their propaganda is written differently.

Ashu-ri's Avatar


Ashu-ri
09.10.2012 , 04:13 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Izutah View Post
Hey guys.

Just thought i'd start this thread as it came up in a discussion with a group of friends. Who do you think are the bad guys sith empire or galactic republic? And why do you think that. Reason i ask as we was on about WoW aswell saying that the horde wernt actually bad guys they just had different views some good some bad but just like the alliance.

Lets see what you think, be nice to hear your views.
Truthfully, for me, it depends not only what side I'm playing, but what class I'm playing as well. With my bounty hunter, there is no bad or good, only the highest bidder, unless it's someone that takes action against one of my team. I would imagine if I got my smuggler up any farther, it would be the same for her. She doesn't owe the republic any loyalty, as such, she's just out to make a buck (but I can't play her until we can get more character slots so I can transfer her over). Most of my Empire characters, of course, don't think that they are the bad guys, and my play supports that. Yes, they may be dark, but they are fully convinced that embracing both the light and the dark is a much better way than the Jedi do it, although my SI has seen that power struggles are tearing the Empire apart - that doesn't mean she's going to stop that train.

OldVengeance's Avatar


OldVengeance
09.10.2012 , 04:41 PM | #15
Both sides have corrupt people, but a corrupt Republic Senator still has less power than Sith Lord who uses as much power as he is supposed to. And tend to be much less sadistic. The Empire's system is much worse than the Republic's.

Aurbere's Avatar


Aurbere
09.10.2012 , 06:44 PM | #16
How?... I mean... How can you ask this? The answer is obvious: the Sith Empire. Why?

Genocide? Check. Slavery? Check. Ruthless leaders that kill anyone who fails in even the slightest ways? Check.

Yes. The Republic has its skeletons. But what has the Republic done that is as bad or worse than Genocide.
Added Chapter 29 to The Shadows Fall
"My ultimate goal is the secret of life-that life that gives us consciousness, for without consciousness each of us is nothing. Through science, i will create new life and sustain my own. There is no reason Darth Plagueis could not live forever."

liammozz's Avatar


liammozz
09.10.2012 , 07:08 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by Aurbere View Post
How?... I mean... How can you ask this? The answer is obvious: the Sith Empire. Why?

Genocide? Check. Slavery? Check. Ruthless leaders that kill anyone who fails in even the slightest ways? Check.

Yes. The Republic has its skeletons. But what has the Republic done that is as bad or worse than Genocide.
i really do love this debate when i was in school we talked about good and evil

we grow up learning that democracy, freedom and human rights are good and oppression hatred prejudice is wrong so when where asked a question who are the good guys we automatically chose the republic because that's how we where raised

now look at it from someone who grew up as a imperial citizen, they are going to say that the republic is evil and the empire is good because that's how they where raised

right and wrong, good and evil are all just a point of view passed down from one generation to the next with each new generations views change what once was wrong is now accepted and what once was ok is now wrong

50 years ago it was ok to be prejudiced against people for colour sexuality faith and creed now its illegal to discriminate someone for these reasons

things can go the other way too it only takes fear to change the opinion of the masses and all the above can become accepted once again its happened before and will most likely happen again its human nature

P.S if i have come off as a crazy anti democracy freedom person i did not mean to im all for freedom

Aurbere's Avatar


Aurbere
09.10.2012 , 08:18 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by liammozz View Post
i really do love this debate when i was in school we talked about good and evil

we grow up learning that democracy, freedom and human rights are good and oppression hatred prejudice is wrong so when where asked a question who are the good guys we automatically chose the republic because that's how we where raised

now look at it from someone who grew up as a imperial citizen, they are going to say that the republic is evil and the empire is good because that's how they where raised

right and wrong, good and evil are all just a point of view passed down from one generation to the next with each new generations views change what once was wrong is now accepted and what once was ok is now wrong

50 years ago it was ok to be prejudiced against people for colour sexuality faith and creed now its illegal to discriminate someone for these reasons

things can go the other way too it only takes fear to change the opinion of the masses and all the above can become accepted once again its happened before and will most likely happen again its human nature

P.S if i have come off as a crazy anti democracy freedom person i did not mean to im all for freedom
The point of view argument is logical, but when you look at both sides( because we have that luxury) you can see who the bad guys are. And it is pretty obvious.

Talking about point of view.
Many conquered imperial citizens will say the Empire is bad. But those born into the Empire are indoctrinated into believing the Empire is good and the Jedi and the Republic are bad. Republic citizens, on the other hand, are allowed to think as they wish. If they don't like what they see, they have the right to say so. In the Empire, you don't. Any loyal Imperial Soldier or Sith will have you executed on the spot for saying that you don't like how the Sith run things.
Added Chapter 29 to The Shadows Fall
"My ultimate goal is the secret of life-that life that gives us consciousness, for without consciousness each of us is nothing. Through science, i will create new life and sustain my own. There is no reason Darth Plagueis could not live forever."

Lavariusstar's Avatar


Lavariusstar
09.10.2012 , 11:02 PM | #19
In a way both the Republic and Empire are evil,especially if you look at it from a neutral perspective.The empire returns after a millennial long period after its crushing defeat by the republic,upon their return they begin the first great galactic war which devastated and changed the course of history and the Galaxy forever.

The republic fights hard to protect the galaxy from the empire.Though sometimes they go to extremes to exterminate the empire such as making secret weapons projects,organizing secret attacks,bombardment.The republic has it's secret weapons such as privateers,like in the smuggler storyline.Now does this make the republic better than the empire? no.I say this because throughout the game you come across republic people who are extremely biased against the empire,they will even kill civilians just because their imperials sometimes.

So mostly what I'm saying is that it depends on your viewpoint and your perspective.Both factions can be both good and bad
Remember the Squad:11/11/11
The Last Squadron

TheNegotiator's Avatar


TheNegotiator
09.11.2012 , 01:19 AM | #20
I read threads like this and just shake my head.