Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Afterimages: Reign of Night

Vesaniae
09.10.2012 , 10:57 PM | #1
Because I felt like it, and because you all made me do it.

This is a spinoff of my main fanfic, "Afterimages." It focuses on the time period between the second and third arcs of that story, and stars the lovely and diabolical Darth Nox. This thread will contain spoilers for both "Afterimages" and the Sith Inquisitor storyline. Expect occasional cameos from the Warrior as well.

Edit: If this sounds interesting, I highly suggest reading "Afterimages" first. This will dive straight into plot without any exposition, and will contain spoilers for that story.

This is primarily comedic in nature, as Nox seems to have a peculiar talent for making any scene that involves her funny. This is not a romance, dammit, but I will gladly add fuel to the fires of shipping. However, I don't want to rehash the same Nox/Ravage bickering over and over again, so other stuff is going to happen too. Shenanigans!

Okay, enough introductions! On with the story!

1. In Which Nox Attempts to Get Some Culture
Kaas City, Dromund Kaas
15 ATC

It was nearing closing time at the museum. Darth Nox was alone as she wandered through the cavernous halls, pausing occasionally to examine one of the displays.

The museum had opened a few months ago, and was dedicated to the Jedi Civil War. That area of history held no special interest for Nox, but she had decided to finally go and see what was there, if only so that A’tro would stop pestering her.

She had to admit that it was rather nice, as far as museums went. Well-organized, interesting displays… The information was horribly biased, of course, but picking out the inaccuracies was half the fun. She leaned over an exhibit featuring a scale replica of the Endar Spire.

“Not half bad,” she commented to herself. “Much more impressive in person, of course, but they’ve got the details right.”

“I didn’t think history was your thing, Nox,” said a voice from behind her.

“I could say the same for you, Ravage,” Nox replied without turning around.

“I, unlike you, am a well-educated individual.”

“You’d be surprised by my level of education.”

“Yes, no doubt there’s even less than I would have expected. Frankly, I’m surprised you’re even literate.”

“You’re going to try a little harder than that to get under my skin,” Nox said cheerfully.

“The only thing I want to go through your skin is my lightsaber.”

“If we’re going to fight, would you mind waiting until we get outside? The Wrath will have fits if we wreck this place.”

“Actually, I only came here to look at the museum.”

Nox finally turned to face him. “Because you’re interested, or because you knew I’d be here?” she asked coyly.

Ravage rolled his eyes. “Hard as this may be to believe, the galaxy does not revolve around you.”

“Oh, I wouldn’t know about that,” Nox said. “Why else do you keep popping up wherever I happen to be?”

“Coincidence,” Ravage said with dignity.

“It had better be,” Nox muttered. “As flattered as I am by the thought of having a stalker, I generally give those to Khem.”

“And where is your monster tonight?” Ravage asked, looking around.

Nox smirked at him. “Afraid he’ll come after you? No need to fret—he’s back at my chambers in the Citadel.”

“I don’t believe you.”

“I only expend the effort of lying on people whose opinions actually matter to me.”

“You should be a little more respectful to someone who could kill you as easily as breathing,” Ravage warned.

Nox raised an eyebrow. “Didn’t you try that once? Remind me how that worked out for you, again?”

Ravage took a step forward. “You don’t have your Dashade to hide behind this time.”

“I thought you didn’t believe me when I said he wasn’t here.”

“I believe a great many things.”

“That’s a stupid answer,” Nox informed him.

Ravage smiled and reached for his lightsabers.

“Ah ah ah,” Nox said, holding up a hand. “Outside, if you please. I don’t know about you, but I sure as hell don’t want the Wrath after me for demolishing her new favorite museum.”

“Of course,” Ravage murmured. He gestured towards the nearest exit. “You first.”

“What, so you can stab me in the back?” Nox scoffed. “Not going to happen.”

“All right,” Ravage said. “Look, I’m not really in the mood for a fight to the death tonight. Why don’t we part ways and pretend this never happened?”

“Suits me,” Nox said. She pointed down one hall. “I’m going this way.”

“Then I’m going that way,” Ravage said, and headed in the opposite direction.

Nox shook her head. That was a surprisingly civilized discussion. It’s not like Ravage to just walk away like that. I’m not sure what to make of it.Well, if he thinks I’ll let my guard down because he pretends to be polite this one time, he’s gravely mistaken.

She resumed her study of the exhibit.

Short first chapter, I know. Don't worry, there will be more. This isn't an intricately plotted arc like "Afterimages", but I do have an outline to keep track of my ideas.
Force Lightning: The solution to every problem. Every. Problem.
Afterimages * Walking Penumbral * Like Moths to the Flame
Forever Shenanigans!

irishfino
09.11.2012 , 09:57 AM | #2
I demand a masquerade!
Whatever for?
Covered faces, disguised voices, and the potential for some rival bonding.
You're not going to let go of this Ravage/Nox thing are you?
No, especially after kabe made that drawing. Sorry, I must have more.
You're a strange one.
Yes, yes I am.
I'll probably die if you group with me, but I'll go out with both lightsabers drawn stabbing someone in the face. Probably you, but it's cool. Forever Shenanigans!!

iamthehoyden
09.11.2012 , 03:49 PM | #3
Ahahaha! Love it!
aren't you a little short for a stormtrooper?
---------------
Fan Fiction: My Name is Solomon Crae The Man in the Box

Vesaniae
09.11.2012 , 07:55 PM | #4
Two quick announcements before this chapter.

First: I have decided that for maximum hilarity I will use my working titles as actual chapter titles. These tend to break the fourth wall and give a summary that has very little to do with the events of the chapter. Enjoy.

Second: This is not a Nox/Ravage fic. This is a fic of Nox being zany and doing various wacky stuff with occasional bickering between those two. I'm going to prolong the agony for as long as possible.

And here's the next chapter!

2. In Which I Add Fuel to the Fire (No, Not That One)
Kaas City Spaceport, Dromund Kaas
15 ATC

Nox never ceased to be amused by the way in which Talos Drellik seemed to have converted the Fata Morgana’s cargo hold into an archaeological workshop. Picking up her skirts, she carefully navigated the chaos until she found Talos in his usual spot in the eye of the hurricane.

Unsurprisingly, he was absorbed in some engraved bit of rock, and was completely unaware of her presence. Nox plopped herself down on an unoccupied crate beside him and rested her feet on the crate in front of her, deliberately arranging her skirt to show an amount of leg that pushed the bounds of indecency according to the standards of most sane people.

Nox was not sane people.

Besides, desperate times called for desperate measures. She quickly removed her hair from its tie and let the glossy black waves settle around her shoulders, then leaned back and waited for Talos to notice her.

And waited, and waited… Coughing loudly had no effect; neither did drumming her heels against the crate. Finally, she leaned over and tapped Talos on the shoulder.

He jumped in surprise. “Oh! Lord Vesania! I didn’t see you there.”

Nox’s crew had ‘real-name privileges’, but after three years of going by Nox it always gave her a start to hear herself called something else.

“Hello, Talos,” she said. She gestured to the whatever-the-hell-it-is that he’d been looking at. “How goes it?”

“Very well,” he answered happily. “I’ve been looking at this specimen for a while now, and there’s definitely a connection between this one and what I saw on Korriban…”

He proceeded to explain for several minutes. Nox leaned towards him, wishing that she was wearing something low-cut. Most of her attention, however, remained on what he was saying. Normally, archaeology held no interest for her whatsoever, but Talos always managed to make such things sound interesting.

“…and I must thank you again for taking me to Korriban last year,” Talos finished. “It was the opportunity of a lifetime! I could spend the next ten years working with what I found there.”

Nox smiled. “Anything you want,” she said, putting a deliberate emphasis on the first word.

Talos looked at her with a frown, the fog of academia temporarily clearing from his eyes. “An—anything, my lord?” he faltered. “I…I’m not sure what you mean…”

Nox slid off the crate and stood in front of him. She was a few inches taller than he was, and he had to look up at her. “It can mean whatever you want it to mean,” she said softly. “Just know that my resources are at your disposal. As am I.”

“That’s…very kind of you,” Talos said uncertainly.

Nox bowed formally. “It’s no trouble.” She gave him her most charming smile. “Just doing my part to support the Empire’s best archaeologist.”

Talos blushed adorably. “I don’t know about the best, but I’m truly flattered—“

“You’re the best,” Nox insisted. “You’ve been incredibly helpful to me.”

“I’m happy to be of assistance, my lord.”

“Oh, drop the title and call me Nox. Or Vesania, or—whatever.”

“I don’t think it would be a good idea to call a Sith Lord ‘whatever’,” Talos said, smiling faintly.

Nox laughed. “In all seriousness, I would like it if you used my name.”

“May I ask why, exactly?”

“I like to be informal with my crew. You certainly don’t see Andronikos bowing and scrap ing to me.”

“He’s a pirate,” Talos pointed out. “I think a certain disregard for authority is a prerequisite for that profession.”

“A professional pirate,” Nox mused. “I like the sound of that. And what about you, my astute archaeologist? How’s your regard for authority?”

Talos shrugged. “You dig around Sith ruins for a few decades, you learn to respect the ones who built them.”

“Well, I haven’t built any ruins, although I have put a few structures in that state, so there’s no need to be all formal with me,” Nox said teasingly.

“I’ll, um, think about it,” Talos said tentatively. “If you want.”

Nox smiled brightly. “I do!” She looked around the room. “I’ll just leave you to it, then.” She exited the room with as much dignity as possible. That conversation had certainly gotten away from her. She wasn’t sure how that had happened.

Sometimes she wondered why she even bothered with Talos. She supposed she liked the idea of a challenge—after more than four years, he still remained utterly oblivious to her advances. On the other hand, he was undeniably adorable, but was he really worth the effort?

It was something to think about. Nox sighed to herself as she walked towards her quarters. Was a man who was actually receptive to her charms too much to ask for?

It's been a while since I actually interacted with Talos, so his characterization may be a bit off. I might have to do some YouTube research. Note that he is the one person in the galaxy who Nox is actually nice to, because he's so freaking cute how can you not be nice to him? I have spent many a time raging over the fact that we cannot romance him in the game. I want an adorable nerdy LI, dammit!

Although I admit, I was slightly alarmed by Talos' recruitment... He shows up at your ship as you're leaving Hoth, offers some vague excuse for wanting to come with you, then practically throws himself at your feet and makes an eloquent argument for why exactly you should want him in your party. Sound familiar?
Forever Shenanigans!

irishfino
09.11.2012 , 08:21 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Vesaniae View Post
Two quick announcements before this chapter.

Second: This is not a Nox/Ravage fic. This is a fic of Nox being zany and doing various wacky stuff with occasional bickering between those two. I'm going to prolong the agony for as long as possible.

And here's the next chapter!
*throws computer into the wall*
That was a gross overstatement to your actual reaction.
You ruin all things.
I thought I ruined all things?
Every iteration of you ruins all things. Better?
Not... entirely...
Meh. Anyway, I'm fine with this not being a Ravage/Nox romance. Actually, I'm moooore than fine with it. I've had enough romances (I'm even writing some), I want zany! I want adventure! I want Sith debauchery!
I don't think there can be much mention of debauchery here.
It can be hinted at. Anyway, write the story you want and I will gobble it right up because I love your stuff.
So she's not taking requests?
NO NOX/THAERA.
That just isn't fair...
Suck it up! Anyway, keep writing and I'll keep reading because I am a slave to reading this sub-forum... braaaaaains... I mean fiiiiic...
I'll probably die if you group with me, but I'll go out with both lightsabers drawn stabbing someone in the face. Probably you, but it's cool. Forever Shenanigans!!

kabeone
09.11.2012 , 11:47 PM | #6
Ravage/Talos? No? Umm nevermind I'll just shut up now except to say that I LOVE THIS THREAD.

Adwynyth
09.12.2012 , 06:21 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by kabeone View Post
Ravage/Talos? No? Umm nevermind I'll just shut up now except to say that I LOVE THIS THREAD.
Ravage/Marr?
Talos/Quinn?
Khem/Qyzen slashfic?

I'll shut up now.

*sees murderous mob and flees*

Vesaniae
09.12.2012 , 06:49 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by irishfino View Post
It can be hinted at. Anyway, write the story you want and I will gobble it right up because I love your stuff.
<3

I am a slave to reading this sub-forum... braaaaaains... I mean fiiiiic...
Tell me about it... I check this forum about every 10 minutes when I'm at my computer. I have no life.

Quote: Originally Posted by kabeone View Post
1) Glad you like!
2)

Quote: Originally Posted by Adwynyth View Post
Ravage/Marr?
That...I could get behind.
How about Ravage/anyone but me?
Shush, no one cares.

Talos/Quinn?
QUINN IS MINE AND I WILL FORCE CRUSH ANYONE WHO DARES TO EVEN THINK OTHERWISE.
Deep breaths, A'tro. Deep breaths.
Khem/Qyzen slashfic?

So I had a semi plot idea for this thread, but then I decided, screw it. This is going to be an exercise in spontaneity. I've got three years worth of time to play with. Anything could happen. Which means...

I'm taking suggestions.

So she's not taking requests?
NO NOX/THAERA.
What fino said.
Forever Shenanigans!

Vesaniae
09.13.2012 , 08:19 PM | #9
This one is based loosely on an experience I had this morning.

3. In Which Art Imitates Life
Kaas City, Dromund Kaas
15 ATC

Nox woke up early, as usual. She slid out of bed—of which she had been unfortunately the sole occupant—put on one of her white robes, and was running a brush through her hair when she noticed a flicker of motion out of the corner of her eye. She turned to see a small shape moving across the nearest wall.

Closer inspection revealed the shape to be a rather large and unpleasant-looking arachnid. Nox grimaced disgustedly. She wasn’t afraid of spiders, but she certainly didn’t want one sharing her living space. She was about to send a small bolt of lightning in its direction when she stopped, looking carefully at the creature.

Something seemed…off. She leaned closer.

The spider was making tiny clicking sounds as it crawled across the wall. Nox had been in close proximity to a wide variety of such vermin in her day, and they were all completely silent in their motions.

She reached out with the Force and plucked the spider off the wall. Grabbing it out of the air, she examined it closely.

It was not, in fact, a spider. It was a very small, very cleverly crafted droid. She turned it over in her hand. There was a button on its underside. Curiously, she pushed it. The droid’s photoreceptors glowed brightly for a moment, then a small hologram appeared.

“Hello, Nox,” Ravage said. “If you’re receiving this, then you’re more ingenious than I gave you credit for.” He smiled deviously. “You may be interested to know that this device will explode after twenty seconds of continuous motionlessness.”

Nox swore under her breath. She tossed the droid out the nearest window, which fortunately happened to be open. A few moments later, a small explosion blossomed in mid-air.

“Clever bastard,” she muttered. “Good thing I didn’t smash it.”

She shook her head. Ravage must be getting desperate if he was resorting to such overly complicated measures to have her killed. Then again, that was not necessarily a bad thing.

I hate spiders.
Forever Shenanigans!

irishfino
09.13.2012 , 08:26 PM | #10
QUINN IS MINE AND I WILL FORCE CRUSH ANYONE WHO DARES TO EVEN THINK OTHERWISE.
Deep breaths, A'tro. Deep breaths.
Oh, I'm all yours lady.
Different Quinn.
Oh, come on, we're a match made in the Dark Temple! We even write in the same color. Do a crossover.
I would gladly loan you out to other writers, but for fear of you wreaking havoc across multiple Galaxies.
When are you going to write about my awesome adventures?
Stop pestering me. I'll get back to it. The idea fountain dried up.
I can fill it with blood.
That is disgusting. You disgust me.
You say that now, but I can show you the world.
The World of Murder was a horrible themepark ride.
I rather liked it.
You would.

I'm taking suggestions.
Masqueraaaaaaade!
What about -
No.

What fino said.
Damn you both!