Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Why the Vanguard is considered balanced by EA/BW.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Why the Vanguard is considered balanced by EA/BW.

foxmob's Avatar


foxmob
09.10.2012 , 04:35 PM | #21
pyros are not op. and all gear/cds being up, I would expect a skilled sent/mara to dust off a skilled assault/pyro more often than not. they're just easy to play. you can do as much or more dmg with a couple other classes. the JKs/Wars in melee and the two viable ranged ACs.

the utility of their taunts is kinda OP though. however, that's an issue with EVERY AC that has a tank tree.
A legacy of meh
Krackerjäck/Krackerjak (VG/PT) | Krackerjack/Deinon (Mando/Merc) | Deìnon (Jugg) | other stuffs
Quote: Originally Posted by Jadescythe View Post
TL;DR Bolster is meant to help entry level players, ranked PvP is not entry level PvP.

tehrealdealz's Avatar


tehrealdealz
09.10.2012 , 04:37 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Reveillere View Post
How useful is heavy armor against force attacks? You're serious? You hide behind good language but it's obvious you lack basic knowledge of the game.

Try playing a class with light armor then you'll realize how important heavy armor is.

Saying vanguard isn't overpowered is wrong. It's overpowered in terms of damage, it has low sruvivability, sure, but it still has a bit too high damage (as many others in this game, cough marauders and snipers)

/guy with war hero powertech/war hero marauder/war hero assassin/war hero sniper/war hero operative
Yes, but you have to understand the tradeoff. I wouldn't say our damage is overpowered. You wanna see overpowered damage I dare you to 1v1 a marauder in full war hero gear and watch as your health bar literally disappears in a matter of seconds.

I'm really glad that you guys dont work for BW/EA or we'd see every single class nerfed into the ground cause it's damage was "overpowered". In every mmo i've played it's always been the same thing. Everyone's class is overpowered but your own. No. Vanguard is perfectly fine where its at. And like I said before, if any class will get nerfed it's going to be the marauder.

oredith's Avatar


oredith
09.10.2012 , 04:38 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by foxmob View Post
the utility of their taunts is kinda OP though. however, that's an issue with EVERY AC that has a tank tree.
this actually confused me a bit when i first started playing the PT (i leveled him to tank, surprisingly).

I would have figured that taunts would only be available in the tanking form, similar to guard.

doesn't really make sense to me why the DPS ac has taunts.
(╯°□°)╯┻━┻
flipp'n yo desk, like a bauss
Tankie

Reveillere's Avatar


Reveillere
09.10.2012 , 04:39 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by oredith View Post
I think it is you who needs to gain some basic knowledge of game mechanics.

interestingly, light armor is EXACTLY the same effectiveness as heavy armor vs. force attacks, because armor does not mitigate force.

/facepalm

There's no such thing as "force attack", there are 5 different damage types in the game; kinetic, energy, internal, elemental and weapon damage. Force attack is only used to describe kinetic or energy damage made by force using classes. And kinetic and energy damage is mitigated by armor thus is "force attacks" mitigated by armor.

SWTOR 101

Edit: and also, if that is your character on that askmrrobot page, your whole build is a fail.

oredith's Avatar


oredith
09.10.2012 , 04:46 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Reveillere View Post
/facepalm

There's no such thing as "force attack", there are 5 different damage types in the game; kinetic, energy, internal, elemental and weapon damage. Force attack is only used to describe kinetic or energy damage made by force using classes. And kinetic and energy damage is mitigated by armor thus is "force attacks" mitigated by armor.

SWTOR 101
there's actually only 4 damage types: internal, energy, elemental, and kinetic.
There are 4 attack types: Melee, Ranged, Tech, and Force

you are mixing up your terminalogy, and/or choosing to misread mine.

i didn't say "force damage", i said force attack.

if you want to be more technical about it, armor only defends against energy and and kinetic damage - ie, the 2 types of damage not done by most force attacks.
(╯°□°)╯┻━┻
flipp'n yo desk, like a bauss
Tankie

Reveillere's Avatar


Reveillere
09.10.2012 , 04:53 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by oredith View Post
there's actually only 4 damage types: internal, energy, elemental, and kinetic.
There are 4 attack types: Melee, Ranged, Tech, and Force

you are mixing up your terminalogy, and/or choosing to misread mine.

i didn't say "force damage", i said force attack.

if you want to be more technical about it, armor only defends against energy and and kinetic damage - ie, the 2 types of damage not done by most force attacks.
And, how surprising, you're wrong again. There are 5 types of damage, as I listed, check your abilities. And also "force attacks" are pretty much always kinetic or energy (unless they're a dot)

For the luls: I dare you to find an ability that is "force attack" (and is not a dot) and doesn't do kinetic or energy damage, don't come back without a screenshot in-game, ty.

And also, you don't need to say what I just said in your posts, doesn't make any sense

Quote: Originally Posted by tehrealdealz View Post
Yes, but you have to understand the tradeoff. I wouldn't say our damage is overpowered. You wanna see overpowered damage I dare you to 1v1 a marauder in full war hero gear and watch as your health bar literally disappears in a matter of seconds.

I'm really glad that you guys dont work for BW/EA or we'd see every single class nerfed into the ground cause it's damage was "overpowered". In every mmo i've played it's always been the same thing. Everyone's class is overpowered but your own. No. Vanguard is perfectly fine where its at. And like I said before, if any class will get nerfed it's going to be the marauder.
The game isn't balanced around 1v1 that has been stated over 100 times by BioWare (from a 1v1 point of view I would even go as far as saying pyro powertech is underpowered, but that's not what we're discussing), and the damage output from a pyro powertech is too high compared to other classes because of 1. high crit chance 2. easy resource management 3. powerful dots 4. hard hitting abilities. A pyro powertech can replace and do a better job than any dps class in the game, together with marauder and sniper.

oredith's Avatar


oredith
09.10.2012 , 04:57 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by Reveillere View Post
For the luls: I dare you to find an ability that is "force attack" (and is not a dot) and doesn't do kinetic or energy damage, don't come back without a screenshot in-game, ty.
why bother ss in game when i can just link in torhead?

http://www.torhead.com/ability/fAylTmX/death-field
(╯°□°)╯┻━┻
flipp'n yo desk, like a bauss
Tankie

Reveillere's Avatar


Reveillere
09.10.2012 , 05:03 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by oredith View Post
why bother ss in game when i can just link in torhead?

http://www.torhead.com/ability/fAylTmX/death-field
Ok, I was slacking, I'll give you that one, but that does'nt make your statement correct.

Death field is a part of the madness tree which is one of few abilities that does internal damage (so called tank killer trees because they mainly deal internal damage) Lethality, madness, advanced prototype arsenal, annihilation are other type of these trees and are exceptions, now how about the 66% of the attacks that aren't internal damage (most dps classes have 1 internal damage tree with 2-4 abilities that deal internal damage while the rest don't)?

(I'm pretty sure you know you've lost aswell, you're just doing it because your stubborn as hell, because it's obvious very few of the force attacks/tech attacks are internal/elemental damage, everyone knows this)

Remember this was your statement we're discussing:

Quote: Originally Posted by oredith View Post
yay, again we have the "heavy armor" argument!

please remind me again how helpful that heavy armor is against force attacks?
Yet when I hover over my abilities on all my characters I barely can find force attacks that aren't kinetic/energy, strange.

Trisma's Avatar


Trisma
09.10.2012 , 05:11 PM | #29
Sorc energy damage attacks: lightning strike, force storm, shock, force lightning, chain lightning.
But whatever its not like sorcs ever use any of those abilities.

Reveillere's Avatar


Reveillere
09.10.2012 , 05:13 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by Trisma View Post
Sorc energy damage attacks: lightning strike, force storm, shock, force lightning, chain lightning.
But whatever its not like sorcs ever use any of those abilities.
exactly, energy and is mitigated by armor