Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Why the Vanguard is considered balanced by EA/BW.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Why the Vanguard is considered balanced by EA/BW.

tehrealdealz
09.10.2012 , 11:47 AM | #1
Been reading alot of posts lately about how "overpowered" the Vanguard class is and how the damage is so "unbalanced" compared to other classes. First and foremost, ive been playing my Vanguard for roughly 4-5 months now and I can tell you without a doubt we are NOT "overpowered" by any means. Let me explain why. The Vanguard class has absolutely ZERO survivability compared to other classes (talking about the assault tree here btw since I think thats what people are complaining about). We dont have a sprint. We dont have a force cloak. We can't heal ourselves.

Basically with the Vanguard class there is no Fight or Flight option for us. When I engage the enemy on my Vanguard I know either im going to get killed or i'm going to kill them. That's all. EA/BW i'm sure sees this as well that is why they will NOT nerf the Vanguard. As far as our damage goes, if you compare it to say a Marauder, Shadow Tank, hell even a good operative, you'll find that the Vanguard is way way behind those classes in both damage AND survivability.

So to all those players hoping for some kind of nerf to the Vanguard you're going to have to wait until the Marauder gets nerfed first before any changes happen to the Vanguard. Sorry but when I read some of these posts it sounds like a L2P issues to me. Anyway just my two cents.

oredith
09.10.2012 , 11:51 AM | #2
scenario 1: player_a meets pyro_a with all his cooldowns. pyro_a pops cooldowns, stuns, freezes, etc, and blows up player_a. Player_a thinks pyro-CLASS is overpowered.

scenario 2 : player_a meets pyro_a with none of his cooldowns. pyro gets beat. Player_a thinks he out skilled pyro_a.

this is pretty much consistent throughout MMO pvp. replace pyro with whatever is perceived to be the FOTM, and the formula will work once again.
(╯□)╯┻━┻
flipp'n yo desk, like a bauss
Tankie

Cybridwarform
09.10.2012 , 11:52 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by tehrealdealz View Post
Been reading alot of posts lately about how "overpowered" the Vanguard class is and how the damage is so "unbalanced" compared to other classes. First and foremost, ive been playing my Vanguard for roughly 4-5 months now and I can tell you without a doubt we are NOT "overpowered" by any means. Let me explain why. The Vanguard class has absolutely ZERO survivability compared to other classes (talking about the assault tree here btw since I think thats what people are complaining about). We dont have a sprint. We dont have a force cloak. We can't heal ourselves.

Basically with the Vanguard class there is no Fight or Flight option for us. When I engage the enemy on my Vanguard I know either im going to get killed or i'm going to kill them. That's all. EA/BW i'm sure sees this as well that is why they will NOT nerf the Vanguard. As far as our damage goes, if you compare it to say a Marauder, Shadow Tank, hell even a good operative, you'll find that the Vanguard is way way behind those classes in both damage AND survivability.

So to all those players hoping for some kind of nerf to the Vanguard you're going to have to wait until the Marauder gets nerfed first before any changes happen to the Vanguard. Sorry but when I read some of these posts it sounds like a L2P issues to me. Anyway just my two cents.
Oh another l2p thread.... just as common as the PT/vanny nerf threads. -Geee never seen these before...

This community is loaded with mint.

cycao
09.10.2012 , 11:56 AM | #4
Well thermal det and Incendiary missile was reduced to 10 meters and sweltering heats snare was reduced to 30%. Not sure if that will bring them more into melee but I will take it these guys tare me apart.

DacRycar
09.10.2012 , 12:23 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by cycao View Post
Well thermal det and Incendiary missile was reduced to 10 meters and sweltering heats snare was reduced to 30%. Not sure if that will bring them more into melee but I will take it these guys tare me apart.
[Nevermind]
Major Azhandra Rycar The Ebon Hawk server
"I troll people by using Full Auto and shouting
'Vanguards are a ranged class!'"

oredith
09.10.2012 , 12:24 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by DacRycar View Post
[Nevermind]
PTS notes:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=523625

No big deal, imo.
(╯□)╯┻━┻
flipp'n yo desk, like a bauss
Tankie

DacRycar
09.10.2012 , 12:48 PM | #7
Heh, yeah, that was the first thing that came to mind after I posted: "Huh, maybe a patch note just went up..." D'oh!

As for the change, I'm trying to visualize it. Obviously any "gap closing" rotation went right out the window. This feels very unbalanced as "other melee" classes have a gap closer whether it be a charge, a sprint or an ambush from steath. However, we still have Harpoon, which may now be considered a viable opener, abet on a very long cooldown. Hrmm...

This obviously doesn't change our rotation or damage once we're in range, which is the biggest complaint players have.
Major Azhandra Rycar The Ebon Hawk server
"I troll people by using Full Auto and shouting
'Vanguards are a ranged class!'"

kingrimlock
09.10.2012 , 12:55 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by oredith View Post
Seems like snipers will be more of a counter against PTs/VGs, as they lose the initial opening burst of inc missile, RS, and TD at 30m.

NeoRinTinTin
09.10.2012 , 12:55 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by DacRycar View Post
Heh, yeah, that was the first thing that came to mind after I posted: "Huh, maybe a patch note just went up..." D'oh!

As for the change, I'm trying to visualize it. Obviously any "gap closing" rotation went right out the window. This feels very unbalanced as "other melee" classes have a gap closer whether it be a charge, a sprint or an ambush from steath. However, we still have Harpoon, which may now be considered a viable opener, abet on a very long cooldown. Hrmm...

This obviously doesn't change our rotation or damage once we're in range, which is the biggest complaint players have.
Vanguards lose about a second or two worth of burst after they use up their harpoon. Not a huge nerf, but it definitely affects survivability because ranged can pop a few shots off and melee have more time to hit back.

Sort of a stealth side buff to assault commandos when compared to vanguards now. Commandos will have a higher initial burst while vanguards can make up for it by having quicker hib recharges.
Canderous Ordo
Commando Rn (PVE / PVP)

tehrealdealz
09.10.2012 , 01:26 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Cybridwarform View Post
Oh another l2p thread.... just as common as the PT/vanny nerf threads. -Geee never seen these before...

This community is loaded with mint.
Not at all. I take it you didn't read the entire post, so i'll just sum it up for you.

Vanguard = Low Survivability with Balanced Damage = EA/BW will not nerf.