Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Calacoid War Game (40 FP) is a perfect example of how not to design a flash point

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Flashpoints, Operations, and Heroic Missions
Calacoid War Game (40 FP) is a perfect example of how not to design a flash point

Rathnell
12.18.2011 , 09:23 PM | #11
This encounter is extremely buggy and was impossible to complete. Add this to the list of high level content bugs. Hundreds of mobs spawning and turrets that fire like they are running out of batteries.
Dark Horizon Guild Leader
Wiping soon on a server near you.
US EST - PvE Progression - PvP Server

Anthya
12.18.2011 , 11:17 PM | #12
Not impossible to complete. The firing rate is slow, but not unmanagably so. Biggest problem is that the guns just refuse to fire unless you're aiming directly at a creature. But that can be overcome with, well, practice.

We successfully completed the FP last night. First encounter admittedly took almost a dozen wipes till we had memorised every single spawn point, but we got it down. Got some good loot for it, too.

Subsequent encounter was interesting.

Final boss was quite fun and relatively challenging, too.

Mhak
12.19.2011 , 12:48 AM | #13
I kinda agree with OP for the factor that wiping tons of times really shouldn't be mandatory in order to learn boss fights. In order to succeed, maybe, but if something is so complicated that after an attempt you don't have any idea what's going on, that is poorly designed.

It wouldn't be a big deal if wiping didn't get so damn expensive. It is very pricey dying half a dozen times in a single FP. The death of your whole group shouldn't be a mandatory stepping stone of FP progression. It should be that happens when you mess up, or don't quite understand the encounter yet, or a combination of not performing on par and a surprise/mistake or two.

I don't want a manual, and I don't want boss fights to be easy. I want them to be designed in a way that lets a group take a leap of faith and try their best to figure it out with guaranteeing they'll be slaughtered just to get a small taste of the strategy required. That's just stupid and poor designing.

Mobiwang
12.19.2011 , 02:55 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Anthya View Post
Not impossible to complete. The firing rate is slow, but not unmanagably so. Biggest problem is that the guns just refuse to fire unless you're aiming directly at a creature. But that can be overcome with, well, practice.

We successfully completed the FP last night. First encounter admittedly took almost a dozen wipes till we had memorised every single spawn point, but we got it down. Got some good loot for it, too.

Subsequent encounter was interesting.

Final boss was quite fun and relatively challenging, too.
The fact that it seems every other attempt someone had an issue getting onto the turret to begin with was a huge headache (Ive had it where you "mount" the turret, but cant control it. I've had to click it 1-3 more times before I actually control it). That almost guaranteed a wipe.

Combine that with the fact that the shooting speed is highly unreliable and many of the ranged cociloids spawn already shooting at you and you have a recipe for disaster. The group I run with has never wiped to any boss (even the first time we ran into the Republic Boarding Party in MR) and we struggled for about 1/2 a dozen attempts before we just gave up and went back to questing.

Extremely aggravating and not enjoyable whatsoever aside from the first attempt when it still had a novelty feel to it.

Lightmgl
12.19.2011 , 04:39 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Dasffion View Post
Granted I've only played WoW but they don't generally give tutorials on how to beat the dungeons. Deadmines comes to mind where you have to have 1 guy get in the Robot and hold off the adds while everyone else takes out the boss. There's no tutorial for this, people had to figure it out.
Deadmines taught you how to use the robot on the trash before the boss.

Theres a difference between handing someone an instruction manual and easing them into a new mechanic.

Lacedd
12.19.2011 , 09:19 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by MercArcher View Post
Calacoid War Games very first encounter is a perfect example of what not to do when designing a flash point.

The very first encounter uses a very confusing mechanic in the turrets that has not been used before and that no one knows how to use initially. There is no tutorial, you're just thrown into a wipe with no idea how the turret functions. In the future when adding new mechanics such as a vehicle/turret style encounter some quick instruction would be helpful.
Go back to WoW
Did you hear the one about me trying to die?
Fist in the air and a finger to the sky.
Do I care if you hate me? Do you wanna know the truth?
C'est la vie....adiós....good riddance....F*!# you!

Straza
12.19.2011 , 09:35 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by Lacedd View Post
Go back to WoW
I love this response, it shows true ignorance

Mordeqai
12.19.2011 , 09:36 PM | #18
Hokay, now here's the deal. Having a tutorial and having the game tell you what to do are two different things. Mordeqai thinks that you should learn how to do things on your own.

Mordeqai thinks that people who think they need a manual for everything will not prosper in end game content.

Mordeqai's 1 Credit is worth more than your 1 Credit.

Bonedaddypro
12.19.2011 , 09:41 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by Straza View Post
I love this response, it shows true ignorance
True ignorance, seems more like 0 tolerance for the WoW babies who need hands held. IMO kids like this are the reason MMO's general content has dropped in quality just to be more fitting to those who cant figure out a mechanic on their own or are all pissy when they need to put in work to get a kill.

Personally I couldnt be happier that a boss got under your skin this badly that you chose to post on a forum so we can all laugh at your stupidity and obvious lack of skill.

DarkyTheTank
12.19.2011 , 09:48 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by mercarcher View Post
when the entire encounter is based off of a gimmick of being in a turret where you are given no explanation of how to control the turret? Yes i expect a manual.
roar im a teenager i expect everything to be given to me roarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr