Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

When can i start doing HMs?

Khevar
09.06.2012 , 11:02 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Kitru View Post
While I think that you *can* do HM FPs in Recruit gear without making hurting your group too much, I wouldn't get even remotely close to saying that it's pretty much the same as daily comms gear. Recruit gear spends a massive amount of the comparative itemization on Expertise, which is completely worthless for PvE. A tank in full recruit gear is going to have noticeably low shield, absorb, and defense compared to a tank in fresh leveling blues thanks to the poor budgeting. They might have *marginally* better K/E DR thanks to the higher armor from the higher rating, but it's not gonna make up for it. The drop in rating from 128 to 124 is *more* than made up for by the fact that you're properly itemized.
100% recruit tank
http://swtor.askmrrobot.com/characte...8-198f1eb8c492
17k hp
35% damage reduction
19% defense
34% shield
40% absorb

100% leveling blues
http://swtor.askmrrobot.com/characte...5-8d628bdd91c5
17k hp
33% damage reduction
18% defense
32% shield
41% absorb

Anyone that could pass a flashpoint in "Fresh Leveling Blues" could just as easily do it in Recruit.

Player skill is the determining factor. If a player in PvP gear is doing poorly in a T1 flashpoint, it has more to do with their ability to play their class than anything else. I've pugged HMFP with players in mostly Columi who were terrible players and (as a healer) I had to work my buns off to keep everyone alive. I've also pugged HMFP with players in PvP gear that did fine.

If you've just dinged your first 50, then Recruit gear isn't the way to go until you get better skill. If this is your third alt and you not only know how to play well but have probably mastered all of the flashpoints, Recruit gear is going to be fine. One of our guildies rolled a tank alt, dinged 50, bought recruit gear and main tanked HM EV in it.

Brittaany_Banks
09.07.2012 , 05:29 AM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Kitru View Post
While I think that you *can* do HM FPs in Recruit gear without making hurting your group too much, I wouldn't get even remotely close to saying that it's pretty much the same as daily comms gear. Recruit gear spends a massive amount of the comparative itemization on Expertise, which is completely worthless for PvE. A tank in full recruit gear is going to have noticeably low shield, absorb, and defense compared to a tank in fresh leveling blues thanks to the poor budgeting. They might have *marginally* better K/E DR thanks to the higher armor from the higher rating, but it's not gonna make up for it. The drop in rating from 128 to 124 is *more* than made up for by the fact that you're properly itemized.
The only reason they are able to get away with full recruit in HMs is because they have 3 other highly geared people carrying them through the FP. Get 1 tank, 2 DPS, and 1 healer together and do a HM in full recruit.... good luck.
I don't care who you are. I don't care if you are male, or female, black, or white, gay, or straight, religious, or non-religious, old or young. I care about 3 things. Can you tank properly? Can you DPS properly? Can you heal properly?

Infalliable
09.07.2012 , 11:56 AM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Brittaany_Banks View Post
The only reason they are able to get away with full recruit in HMs is because they have 3 other highly geared people carrying them through the FP. Get 1 tank, 2 DPS, and 1 healer together and do a HM in full recruit.... good luck.
How good do you think the gear people wore was when people first did these flashpoints? Groups weren't decked out in full daily comms gear. Most people had some, but weren't in full daily gear.

Recruit gear is not much different than that. Sure, daily stuff is better but not for the effort it takes and the time it lasts. It's generally worth grabbing the barrel/hilt (especially if you're a damage dealer) or some armorings (especially if you're a tank), but it's not strictly required.

Recruit gear just means you need to pay attention to what you're doing and play smart. Last night we had 3/4 people geared well with over 20k health and ran through the HM Foundry w/o any care. Barely healed ever between fights, never cc'd anything, and as DPS I led off a bunch of fights. This level of sloppiness would never fly with recruit gear, but that doesn't mean you can't do the flashpoint.

Drin-King
09.07.2012 , 12:57 PM | #24
Gonna butt in here. I run FP/Ops in Battlemaster and I've never had any issues. I put out fine dps despite expertise being useless. I do have 4 columi and 1 rakata piece, but I don't bother switching out for HM FP, no point at all. For HM ops? Yeah, I'd probably switch out.