Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Same gender relationships clarifications?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Same gender relationships clarifications?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

chuixupu
09.06.2012 , 07:07 PM | #1141
Sorry if saying Kaliyo was obviously bisexual upset anyone - I was being slightly tongue-in-cheek, though I maintain the hints are there - along with the recollection that she and some other companions were originally being written to have SGR romance options earlier on.
Of course, being just a video game character, she is whatever the writers write her to be....and that can be subject to change.
Wardens of Fate / Alea Iacta Est
The Tarkus Legacy ~ The Harbinger/Jedi Covenant

Uluain
09.06.2012 , 07:34 PM | #1142
Quote: Originally Posted by Silthir View Post
Sorry this is a bit late and a bit off topic of the new information and I can't for the life of me find the original post >_<
Well, there have only been 6,200 posts or so here over the past eight-plus months. I can't imagine why you couldn't come across it. In seriousness, don't worry about it. Returning to such previous points as things occur to us is something of a thread tradition.

Quote:
I vaguely remember someone on here complaining ... that of course we'd bring up EU to "validate" the use, even though EU doesn't really matter...

Uhm... can I point out that this is EU too? ...Next time someone says EU doesn't matter, remember that we're playing a game that is EU.
A good point and a rebuttal that is hard to refute. Should such arguments arise again, I am sure to use it myself.

Quote: Originally Posted by chuixupu View Post
Sorry if saying Kaliyo was obviously bisexual upset anyone - I was being slightly tongue-in-cheek, though I maintain the hints are there - along with the recollection that she and some other companions were originally being written to have SGR romance options earlier on.
Of course, being just a video game character, she is whatever the writers write her to be....and that can be subject to change.
Good of you to apologize for any hard feelings, but it is certainly one way of reading the conversations Kaliyo has. Whatever interpretation one puts on why she says it, Kaliyo certainly seems to indicate that lovers could be of either gender, which at least acknowleges that same-sex affection is by no means an unheard of occurence in the Galaxy Far, Far Away. So I think whatever the character herself is or is not, Kaliyo is totally germane to the SGR discussion.

theStirge
09.06.2012 , 09:14 PM | #1143
Quote: Originally Posted by Uluain View Post
Good of you to apologize for any hard feelings, but it is certainly one way of reading the conversations Kaliyo has. Whatever interpretation one puts on why she says it, Kaliyo certainly seems to indicate that lovers could be of either gender, which at least acknowleges that same-sex affection is by no means an unheard of occurence in the Galaxy Far, Far Away. So I think whatever the character herself is or is not, Kaliyo is totally germane to the SGR discussion.
Spoiler

Yes, yes, it could still be that she's just that manipulative, is totally straight and not into women at all aside from being willing to sleep with them and make them fall in love with her, but that seems like reaching and I'm not sure why the reach. Why not just go with Occam's Razor, in this case the simplest explanation being that she's bisexual.
The n'Sappho Legacy, The Harbinger
Zel'eena, 55 Combat Sentinel
Eleeta, 55 Medic Operative; Fer'eerra, 55 Lightning Sorcerer
All Chiss, all the time, all day, forever.

Uluain
09.06.2012 , 09:24 PM | #1144
Ah! I had not gotten that far in my Agent's story (so thanks for marking the spoiler, though I did read it). I still think given Kaliyo's MO, it is ambiguous - though she's clearly at least able to make a very convincing show. Which again confirms that such things are commonplace enough that the "target" would not find the approach suspicious on that basis alone.

I do agree with Zandilar however that some ordinary, even wholesome, NPCs demonstrating affection toward their own sex would be a good counterbalance to the trope mentioned. Orientation has unfortunately been used as a convenient shorthand for moral depravity in science-fiction for a long time. One prominent example that comes to mind is Baron Harkonnen. Breaking this expectation with, for example, Corso Riggs who is so plainly a nice guy could turn the cliché in a satisfying manner. I know a lot of gay and bi people, and none of them are Jeffrey Dahmer.

Zandilar
09.07.2012 , 01:09 AM | #1145
Just addressing the Kaliyo issue and why I'm frustrated about people's insistence that she is bisexual:

Bioware have pulled the bait and switch thing before. Her name is Jack. You might be familiar with her, but to give you an idea of the sort of character I'm talking about - Kaliyo is effectively her expy. Jack is ostensibly straight, despite one canon same sex (in a threesome with a guy) encounter in her past.

Quote: Originally Posted by theStirge View Post
Spoiler
Spoiler

Quote:
Yes, yes, it could still be that she's just that manipulative, is totally straight and not into women at all aside from being willing to sleep with them and make them fall in love with her, but that seems like reaching and I'm not sure why the reach. Why not just go with Occam's Razor, in this case the simplest explanation being that she's bisexual.
Actually, the simplest explanation is that we can't assume anything about her sexuality until she (or her writers) actually tell us.
Zandilar, an Australian, IN SPAAAAAAAACCCCEEEEE!!
Too many characters, most of them Chiss.

Kioma
09.07.2012 , 01:59 AM | #1146
Points for mentioning Occam's Razor, though.
::Please Stand By, Signature Assessment Probe Commencing Analysis::

NRVNQSR
09.07.2012 , 05:04 AM | #1147
Quote: Originally Posted by Tatile View Post
From Ms. Berryman:

First off, I'd like to clarify that the Community team does read the SGRA thread, and we're aware of everything that gets posted in it as well as player concerns about the lack of new statements or information. We're always reading this thread and any other thread that the community is passionate about. The SGRA thread is no exception - it's our job to read all the community's concerns and escalate them, and we do this.

I'm sorry to say that I have no new information since the last time I responded. Nothing has changed regarding SGRA, and I have no new statements or information. We know that you and many other players are very interested in getting an update, a new statement, or new info, but I'm afraid I just don't have any right now. The community team will continue escalating your (and other players') concerns, and as soon as we have anything new to share with you, we'll let you know!

Edit: Emphasis mine.
Nothing has changed regarding SGRA......well the last time we heard something was the "It will happen 'this year'" comment at the guild summit..........so does that mean that we'll actually have it in the next 3 months? If so, sweet!

losdia
09.07.2012 , 05:25 AM | #1148
Quote: Originally Posted by NRVNQSR View Post
Nothing has changed regarding SGRA......well the last time we heard something was the "It will happen 'this year'" comment at the guild summit..........so does that mean that we'll actually have it in the next 3 months? If so, sweet!
They also said it would come when they started doing story expansion and that there probably wouldn't be many, if any, official comments about it until it was implemented. I've gotten the impression that a lot of people think this is a pretty stupid view, but I think we'll probably see SGR as part of the Mekab content. So, we can probably expect it whenever Patch 1.5 comes out.
"Say, Mike... Did we just do something horribly wrong?"
"Yeah, I think so."
-MST3K, Invasion USA

kategreen
09.07.2012 , 07:11 AM | #1149
Not gonna happen.

Silthir
09.07.2012 , 07:14 AM | #1150
Quote: Originally Posted by losdia View Post
They also said it would come when they started doing story expansion and that there probably wouldn't be many, if any, official comments about it until it was implemented. I've gotten the impression that a lot of people think this is a pretty stupid view, but I think we'll probably see SGR as part of the Mekab content. So, we can probably expect it whenever Patch 1.5 comes out.
See, I wouldn't get my hopes up on that, Iosdia. I mean, I know they said things haven't changed about SGRAs, but sometimes things change at the last minute. I would like to hope that they would, so that my Chiss Sith Warrior can get it on with one of his male companions... but I'm not gonna sit here and be hopeful when I seriously don't see it coming out this year, despite what they said. The F2P change and the bugs that need fixing, such as the quest At the Foot of the Colossus, can really pull away from something that isn't exactly... 100% dire.

On a seperate note... I somehow get the feeling that Andronikos is definitely straight and that the gay romance option for Sith Inquisitor is Talos... I don't know why I get that feeling, but I seriously do.