Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Writer's Rant Thread

irishfino
09.06.2012 , 11:22 AM | #11
Dear Writing,

Pretty sure I hate you. Why, oh why, do I have twelve different notebooks, all of which must be written in with a specific type of pen or nothing comes out?

Why have I written the next part seven different ways?

You're just... GAH.

Coldest regards I can manage to write,

-Fino
I'll probably die if you group with me, but I'll go out with both lightsabers drawn stabbing someone in the face. Probably you, but it's cool. Forever Shenanigans!!

Vesaniae
09.06.2012 , 11:32 AM | #12
"Afterimages", your title is stupid. IT MAKES NO SENSE!

*goes and flips through OED*

"After-image (n): An impression of a vivid image retained by the eye after the stimulus has ceased."

What the hell does that have to do with the story? ABSOLUTELY NOTHING! I guess it kind of makes sense from an exterior perspective--after the stimulus of the Warrior story ceased, I retained a vivid image in my mind which inspired me to write this thing. But the title still has NOTHING WHATSOEVER to do with the story itself.

NOTHING.

WHAT.

SO.

EVER.

Let's see, what else is irking me? Oh, I know. SYMBOLISM! I want there to be symbolism in this story, and there IS, kind of. It's just very, very, very, subtle, which is to say OCCASIONALLY NONEXISTENT. Same goes for the foreshadowing. It's THERE, I swear. But how do I know if you wonderful people who read this thing pick up on it? I don't! I guess we'll see what happens when I get to that climactic chapter that all of the symbolism has been building towards. What little symbolism I managed to cram in, that is.

I cannot wait to post that chapter. I would write it in advance, but I can't, because I need a context for it that I haven't been able to come up with yet! GAH!
Force Lightning: The solution to every problem. Every. Problem.
Afterimages * Walking Penumbral * Like Moths to the Flame
Forever Shenanigans!

bright_ephemera
09.06.2012 , 01:31 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Vesaniae View Post
"Afterimages", your title is stupid. IT MAKES NO SENSE!
Story of my writing career! When I started There Is No Death, There Is Only Wrath, I had no idea what I was doing, I just pasted the story text into a new post and realized I needed a catchy phrase under which to dump words. And then people read it and I thought "wow, maybe if you'd put sixty seconds' thought into it to begin with, the title wouldn't suck, but now people are looking at it and JUDGING YOU for your crappy post title." Rinse, repeat, for every storyline I do.

Seriously, writing. How can you give so many excitingly varied ideas, then dump the same words, phrases, and sense of humor on all of them? I need at least one voice per story setting, thanks, not 'Bright Ephemera's' (by the way that's a stupid name and you should've thought of a better one) uh, 'Bright Ephemera's Preferred Semblance of Wit Says the Same Thing in a Slightly Different Setting.' Oh, and why can't you think of ideas for your most popular thread? Furthermore, would it kill you to maybe give me an idea of what's coming down the pike more than 1000 words from now? No? Both Ruth and Nalenne sort of spilled out as I went, which was a hilarious ride but means that I'm sitting here now racked with regret, wishing I had made pretty plot arcs and consistent thematic contributions and stuff. I didn't, because I didn't even think to use the superb planning bits of my brain, because my muse just ran up and smacked me with a baseball bat until I agreed to post something right that minute. Then wandered off for a couple of hours, then came back and did it again.

Why do you toy with me, words? When I carry a notebook, inspiration only strikes when I'm driving. When I put a voice recorder next to the driver's seat, inspiration only strikes when I'm showering or otherwise still unable to capture thoughts. (I have been known to hop out of the shower to write two or three really promising/evocative words on the fogged-up mirror before getting back to washing up.) I'm sure you enjoy making me sprint past my husband repeatedly mumbling a good turn of phrase so I won't forget it before I reach pen and paper once I get home from work, but my husband would probably enjoy not having quite such a difficult time share with you.

Oh, and could you not prompt an alternate universe that makes my inner feminist cry as a bunch of men do active interesting things around a completely helpless woman? Did you spend even two seconds thinking that through before the words started spilling out? No? Well, could you just stop it where it is? No? Figures.

Finally: In three months you've generated 250,000 words of more or less coherent stories. Could you consider doing something original? Like I always dreamed of? Pretty please?
the Short Fic Weekly Challenge - 70+ authors to date. 1900+ stories. New prompts weekly!
Bright's Fanfic Threads
Forever Shenanigans!
Ceterum autem censeo, Malavai esse delendam.

Vesaniae
09.06.2012 , 04:10 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by bright_ephemera View Post
Could you consider doing something original? Like I always dreamed of? Pretty please?
Argh this so much this. Alternatively: Fan fiction, you're great and I love you, but now all my original ideas have gone on the backburner. Although I suppose that's okay, since right now I'm in the "all my ideas suck!" phase of Vesaniae's Cycle of Ideas (TM).

Writing, I love you dearly, but sometimes it feels like I'm trying to push a square peg through a round hole. I stare at the page and the words, they do not write. Also, dear writing, I would like to be able to produce stuff just a little faster...please?

Dear Afterimages: I am sticking to my outline, dammit! I am not going to spin off into miscellaneous little episodes that only prolong the agony! We are taking an express train to Arc 3 and it's going to be freaking awesome, dammit! Why do I keep getting sidetracked by more ideas?!?! Now all I want to write is crazy hilarious stuff with Nox and Ravage, and it's all irishfino's fault! blaaarrrghhh and this other damn idea won't leave my head. But Afterimages is going to have a sequel! It needs a sequel! I even have a title for it which is only slightly less dumb than "Afterimages" and in fact consists the word "afterimages" followed by a colon and another word!

Why am I so tempted to just LOLSPOILER the entire thing? Oh, I can't wait to get to Arc 3, I can't wait! Except I have no idea what is going to happen when I get there because I have an end but no build up to that end! Oh, well. At least I have an epilogue. ALREADY WRITTEN, YEAAAAH!!!

Oh, and bright_ephemera, I think your name is awesome.
Forever Shenanigans!

Tatile
09.06.2012 , 04:11 PM | #15
Action doesn't just happen, but it should D:<
I should just be able to convey my character's emotions and movements without it sounding contrived and pathetic, like some poorly written cheap romance novel you see middle aged women reading on the bus.
My characters are living, breathing creatures but instead of ACTING they stand around like a bunch of wooden *****!

And plot! Ugh! I think I lost it when I moved house :/

elliotcat
09.06.2012 , 05:01 PM | #16
~Dear Elliot~

Someday, you will come up with a title for a story that you did not steal from a song.

Today is not that day.

Ebon Hawk: Latula // Elaeys // Raima // Jaea // Macara // Meulin // Damarra // Kanaaya

"We will snatch purpose from the jaws of futility...are you ready to wreak some havoc?"

Vesaniae
09.06.2012 , 05:45 PM | #17
I'm posting in this thread to tell myself to stop posting in this thread and work on that chapter, dammit!
Forever Shenanigans!

mustardcheese
09.06.2012 , 06:06 PM | #18
I could complain about my lack of comments, but that'd sound a little whiny.

Instead, I'll complain about things I hate about my writings.

I feel like everything I write is really cheesy, and comes off as really boring. I lack much action in anything I write, because I'm not good at pacing. I also tend to focus on the little things, trying to put meaning into something bland and uninteresting. I can never come up with names that sound good, for people, places, or things. I can never translate the image I have in my head of something totally awesome into something written that's awesome.

Not really a rant, but it's the thought that counts, no?
Drilian, Level 50 Gunnery Commando
My Threads: Hunter: A Fan Fiction | The Expansion is a Good Idea

Earthmama
09.06.2012 , 06:06 PM | #19
Blarg....

I almost pulled down my last chapter cause it's dumb.....but I changed some of it instead, I'm less "ewww" about it now. I may still pull it down. I wish I could go play some TOR but the hubs is upgrading our computers, and it is now currently in pieces on the basement floor. So all I can do is re-read my stupid chapter, thinking of ways to make it better. Why did I post it???

I'm feeling the way I do when I buy bring it home, try it on......then hate it, when I loved it at the store. When I originally posted it, I was feeling pretty good about it. Then I put my kids to bed, rocking my little guy to sleep my mind start going "Ava would NOT have done that! Why did she do that? it makes no sense?"

"Yes, yes she would have, cause she's Ava, and she smart, and if she went through with it she would die, and I don't want to kill her."

"Well you sure didn't explain it well, cause those words explaining it, suck. Make it better, or go back to the original."

"You suck!"

Nice comeback....you gonna fix it?

"grumble, yes, I'll fix it."

One last thing....the coloured fonts, stop it, it doesn't suit you

"Your face doesn't suit you"

SveinEternity
09.06.2012 , 06:13 PM | #20
I am hating my schedule! I can't get any story through to the forum, plus I only have 16 days left on my sub so I can't post until f2p hopefully. Boy I want to relax.

I NEED TO RELAX!!!!!!!!! HELP ME!!! IM MELTING OF BUSYNESS!!!!!!!!

Man I appreciate this thread a lot *subs*
The Eternity Legacy