Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Endgame loot musings

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Chaqen
09.04.2012 , 09:42 PM | #31
Quote: Originally Posted by Khevar View Post
What about this:

1. Columi, Rakata, BH and Campaign tokens can only be exchanged for a single armoring, a single mod or a single enhancement.
2. When a boss is defeated, a non-class-specific token is dropped for the appropriate gear grade.
3. The number of tokens dropped for each boss can be adjusted to match whatever the target gear acquisition rate should be.
4. The vendors contain a full list of every available armoring / mods and enhancements so that players can pick specifically which piece they want to reach their stat targets for their current gear level.
5. Barrel / Hilt tokens are handled separately, and would only drop at specific end bosses (similar to how the MH drops are handled)
6. Orange moddable offhand weapons / shields / generators are made available to go along with this.
It would work, i guess...
It would be quite boring though actually, but so is the current system for campaign.

Maybe it is the whole modification system that loot is based on that is horrible and causing a great amount of displeasure? Seems like the only useful part of it is, keeping crafters current with the newest gear, which isnt enough to keep them happy either.

I guess it is a bit off topic, but where is the benefits/joys of the current system of fully modable gear, compared to an MMO like EQ2 where you had gear with set stats, but the ability to equip additional gear just for appearance?

Kitru
09.04.2012 , 11:30 PM | #32
Quote: Originally Posted by Chaqen View Post
I guess it is a bit off topic, but where is the benefits/joys of the current system of fully modable gear, compared to an MMO like EQ2 where you had gear with set stats, but the ability to equip additional gear just for appearance?
The benefit is in giving players stronger control over their personal itemization. In games wherein gear has set stats, a single piece of gear is the de facto optimal piece of gear, regardless of what the optimal stat allocation is. In TOR's system, the additional level of customization allows for players to tweak their stats to more adequately account for their personal tastes (such as weirdos like me replacing all of their Force Wielder armoring/hilts with Resolve because I devalue hp and like high Willpower).
Walls of Text? I *love* Walls of Text!
My New Class Idea
Shadow Class Rep - Suggest/Review Questions Here
Quote: Originally Posted by Fende View Post
Listen to Kitru. Kitru knows all.

Karasuko
09.05.2012 , 08:39 AM | #33
Customiseable gear is far and away a better system than gear with pure stats and nothing else.
I don't know how much time i've spent before each BH purchase weighing up the pro's and cons of each piece vs my current stats.
It's something I find fun.

JamieM
09.05.2012 , 01:41 PM | #34
Quote: Originally Posted by Karasuko View Post
Customiseable gear is far and away a better system than gear with pure stats and nothing else.
I don't know how much time i've spent before each BH purchase weighing up the pro's and cons of each piece vs my current stats.
It's something I find fun.
Customisable gear is fun but the gear in this game is just plain broken - there is something wrong when as a Jugg I have to buy Marauder legs, hands and feet to get the correct armourings for my AC and God knows how many BH pieces just to replace crappy mods / enhancements in my Campaign gear. The same can be said with Rakata.

BioWare just need to do a much better job of analysing the gear to make sure it makes sense for the AC and spec of the player it is supposed to be worn by before rolling it out.