Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Developer Update: Class Changes and Balance in Game Update 1.4

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Developer Update: Class Changes and Balance in Game Update 1.4
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

MilanoChris
09.05.2012 , 01:07 AM | #351
Sorry, I don't understand your post at all.

WeaponMasterRza
09.05.2012 , 01:19 AM | #352
C'mon!! This is ridiculous....the classes that were widely considered "OP" (Commandos/Mercs/Sages/Sorcs) were further buffed while the Infiltration/Deception & Scrapper/Concealment didnt get anything. Even worse, is that they admit the appeal of the "stealth killers" has diminished severely yet they did NOTHING to better their current situation. Can bioware get anything right?!?!? With each update, I lose more & more faith that the developers have any clue as to how to balance the class(es) & the class favoritism that existed has only been further put on display with each update they release. Way to go bioware, thanks for nothing.

MidichIorian
09.05.2012 , 01:19 AM | #353
Quote: Originally Posted by MilanoChris View Post
Sorry, I don't understand your post at all.
The point is that BW claims that all classes are within 5 % dps but if you look at how the average sorc/sage performs it's pretty obvious that this isnt the case. Hence, the must be comparing the top sorcs/sages to average players from other classes for it to add up.
Quote: Originally Posted by WeaponMasterRza View Post
C'mon!! This is ridiculous....the classes that were widely considered "OP" (Commandos/Mercs/Sages/Sorcs) were further buffed while the Infiltration/Deception & Scrapper/Concealment didnt get anything. Even worse, is that they admit the appeal of the "stealth killers" has diminished severely yet they did NOTHING to better their current situation. Can bioware get anything right?!?!? With each update, I lose more & more faith that the developers have any clue as to how to balance the class(es) & the class favoritism that existed has only been further put on display with each update they release. Way to go bioware, thanks for nothing.
Are you still stuck back in January 2012 or something?

Rassuro
09.05.2012 , 01:23 AM | #354
Overall I like the changes. Some notes though (all from a PvP perspective):

I really like that the in my opinion three weakest DPS classes in the game (Operative, Sorcerer, Mercenary) are three of the classes you focused on, and in my opinion all of them got a slight buff overall, however I feel like like it will still not be enough, in particular since the few overpowered specs remain completely unchanged.
For now I remain hopeful that your plan is to first see how these changes play out, then do some adjustments to the overpowered specs.

I don't think that it's a coincidence that the three weakest DPS classes in the game are all three classes who also can spec into being healers, so to me it seems as though you are putting far too much weight on their healing capabilities when they are in DPS spec. The current healing abilities just are not that useful when in combat because they take too long to cast, can too easily be interrupted, and the somewhat low amount they heal for make the time and risk most often not worth taking.

With this in mind, I was really happy to see the change to Tracer Lock. I feel like significantly reducing the cast time on Healing Scan will actually turn it into a usable ability. Hopefully this will be something you keep doing going forward, also to the other two classes.

The changes to the Sneak ability seem great. It's versatile, cooldown is not too long, it's not without it's weaknesses (ranged classes can still take control), and in the talent tree it's exactly where I wanted it, deep enough in the Concealment for it to be out of reach for healers. This sounds like almost exactly what I wanted!
Toor, 50 Operative healer | Odaen, 50 Assassin tank | Tiyr, 50 Vanguard tank | Zerofour, 50 Mercenary DPS | The Red Eclipse

Zipacnaa
09.05.2012 , 01:25 AM | #355
This "update" is of absolutely no interest to me what-so-ever.

If this is what the developers consider important and subsequently spend their time on ........................

MilanoChris
09.05.2012 , 01:27 AM | #356
Quote: Originally Posted by MidichIorian View Post
The point is that BW claims that all classes are within 5 % dps but if you look at how the average sorc/sage performs it's pretty obvious that this isnt the case. Hence, the must be comparing the top sorcs/sages to average players from other classes for it to add up.
I see. I'm always lowest DPS on our raids. I'm not the perfect player, but neither are the other 3 DPS, and 85% of the time I'm lowest. It's not like madness is a difficult rotation or my gear is bad either.

Kirazy
09.05.2012 , 01:28 AM | #357
Quote: Originally Posted by ManiacalShen View Post
An interrupt will be nice, I guess, and I get the Electro Dart thing, but no knockback on Rocket Punch?! I LIVE on that in Huttball! D: So Powertechs can just yank people into fire, but I can't even luck out and punch someone into one anymore unless I use my long-cooldown Jet Boost?
THIS.

What in the world? Like, really. A snare on the Commando would be nice, but not in exchange for the knockback on Rocket Punch/Stockstrike!

I don't use Stockstrike to keep people away from me. I use it to put people into acid pits, fire traps, knock them off ledges in Huttball to deny scoring and position, etc. A snare instead of a knockback removes that very critical utility that a Commando has, one of their very few utility-based skills from Stockstrike, leaving them with exactly one skill to position the enemy, and on a very long cooldown.

QuiDonJorn
09.05.2012 , 01:31 AM | #358
No...don't do it,..don't implement those changes to Force Wave/Overload, PLEASE.
Leave them alone..THEY ARE FINE THE WAY THEY ARE.

Bioware, please stop catering to PVP'ers.

Murder_Toys
09.05.2012 , 01:33 AM | #359
Quote: Originally Posted by MilanoChris View Post
So Sorcs/Sages, who have the lowest DPS in PVE, don't get a buff for damage?
don t know want class your playing but my fully geared sorc with all campiagn with 1054 bonus damage
does great damage

stop crying .
MurderToys | Empire | MurderToy | Republic
<pantheon of forstclaw>
http://pantheonguild.co.uk/home

Luvsthis
09.05.2012 , 01:34 AM | #360
Like MariaD said no love for the juggy tank? I mean assassin tanks are gettin all the love i mean stealth,cc,force sprint 3% endurance boost they get all the cool stuff i mean tanks didnt really benefit nothing on 1.3 maybe give us something like some moves to decrease damage taken or even a cc ability or heck an endurance boost ability would be cool. seems like all these updates are benfitting the pvp players but not the pve players. I could be wrong but thats how I feel im lvl 50 campaign/black hole tank and some new abilities that actually benefit me controling multiple mobs besides a 6 second aoe taunt would be nice i mean yeah smash stacks but people still pull your aggro unless your focused on just that person. would be nice to have better threat generators