Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Announcing a Free-to-Play Option

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Announcing a Free-to-Play Option
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Gruug
09.04.2012 , 07:08 PM | #1191
Quote: Originally Posted by Mistwaver View Post
I see a big puddle of tears I need to mop up before it starts to drown people. Please wait while I return with my cleaning equipment.

Seriously people, it's 2012. We know this F2P model is here to stay. Just because a game goes F2P doesn't mean the game is ruined. Those who pay to play will not be affected, while it opens the game up to those who want to play for free with limited access. It's not like those who play for free are going to get in there and be able to enjoy everything you do as a paying customer. A lot of services are limited, and it looks like they won't even be able to participate in Operations. It looks like to me the free to play model is being suited for those who just want to get in there and play through the class stories.

By boosts, I'm sure they mean experience boosts, and I'm sure they won't be all that expensive. I know as someone who works a lot and doesn't have much time to play, I will certainly be taking advantage of the boosts. It's not like those buying items are going to have an advantage in combat, because I just don't see them adding combat items to the store.
What you obviously don't see is that those left PAYING will not only pay for THEIR OWN CONTENT but also paying for the content of those that play for "free". If you are going to play then it should be that you pay for it. I will not pay for someone else to play for free. If they wish to play....they too must pay. That is not mean spirited it is just the way the world works. If you can't afford a sports car...don't expect to drive one for free. More importantly, don't expect ME to pay for it.

Give me an MMO that I can visit and have fun! Where what I pay for is not going to those that play for free.

Vandicus
09.04.2012 , 07:20 PM | #1192
Quote: Originally Posted by Gruug View Post
What you obviously don't see is that those left PAYING will not only pay for THEIR OWN CONTENT but also paying for the content of those that play for "free". If you are going to play then it should be that you pay for it. I will not pay for someone else to play for free. If they wish to play....they too must pay. That is not mean spirited it is just the way the world works. If you can't afford a sports car...don't expect to drive one for free. More importantly, don't expect ME to pay for it.
Well first off, f2p is never really f2p. Its either p2win, b2play, or p2play.

How many f2pers do you think are going to play past 25 without a speeder? They can't level through warzones/flashpoints/space because they've got limited amounts of those.

You can bet most players who don't end up leaving the second they hit tat are going to pony up for speeder access. So they pay for speeder access and finish leveling to 50. What then, do they just abandon the character they spent 200 hours on? There's nothing for f2p to do at level 50, they can't even play the GTN or credit farm, since they've got limited postings on GTN and a limit on accessible credits. Go roll an alt? They could have limited character slots. If they want to keep playing on the same character, they have to start paying a sub or buy access to ops, warzones, and HM flashpoints, if those are even available outside a sub.

Believe me, being nickel and dimed usually ends up costing a whole lot more than a single sub. Go ahead and try out any f2p mmo and tell me that its really free.
Darasuum kote ner vode!
Darasuum kote Mando'ade!

Erurainon
09.04.2012 , 09:30 PM | #1193
"Since launch, our team has spent a lot of time trying to find new ways to be able to bring the Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ experience to as many potential players as possible."

And the best you could come up with is free-to-play? There is one area of the computer market that is being left out. Macintosh.

I am aware of the whole "market share" thing. But food for thought here: Apple sold 5.2 million Macs in their 1st quarter and 4.0 million Mac in their 2nd and 3rd quarter each.
http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2012...r-Results.html

That's 13.2 million Macs. I think it is safe to say that 1/4 of them would play SWTOR if there was a Mac version.

Also, some players don't play everyday. So how about "Pay as you Play?" Like, per hour or something.

Vandicus
09.04.2012 , 09:48 PM | #1194
Quote: Originally Posted by Erurainon View Post
"Since launch, our team has spent a lot of time trying to find new ways to be able to bring the Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ experience to as many potential players as possible."

And the best you could come up with is free-to-play? There is one area of the computer market that is being left out. Macintosh.

I am aware of the whole "market share" thing. But food for thought here: Apple sold 5.2 million Macs in their 1st quarter and 4.0 million Mac in their 2nd and 3rd quarter each.

That's 13.2 million Macs. I think it is safe to say that 1/4 of them would play SWTOR if there was a Mac version.

Also, some players don't play everyday. So how about "Pay as you Play?" Like, per hour or something.
Safe to say 1/4th would play SWTOR?

Also, a subscription is 50 cents a day. How much cheaper do you expect it to get?
Darasuum kote ner vode!
Darasuum kote Mando'ade!

darth_doom_munky
09.05.2012 , 07:10 PM | #1195
Quote: Originally Posted by limx View Post
Well if Bioware is going to make the half of the game free, they should just get rid of the subscribtions. I cant afford SWTOR anymore so i stopped playing it. Now i only get 1/2 the game back for free? Come on make it all free!
How about No

darth_doom_munky
09.05.2012 , 07:12 PM | #1196
Quote: Originally Posted by Avatarless View Post
Lifetime Subscription option gets my vote also. +1
same here

BernRod
09.25.2012 , 05:34 PM | #1197
Here is my simple 2 cents.
Most likely they will make us pay for:

- certain pets
- future ships if and when they get released.
- original films costumes if they get released
- cosmetics
- pay for more FP, WZ, or Ops. which will give you access to cool gear.
- pay for more storage\capacity
- mystery lock boxes
- skins
- items no doubt
- races (whos not going to want to buy a Ewok or Wookie at one point.)
- themes packs like new hope or clone wars....etc
- respec
- faster travel options
- your face in SWTOR....lol
- you get the point
"Yo ho ho Joe"

WizardsDestiny
09.25.2012 , 07:52 PM | #1198
Can't we actually be rewarded, such as with a new ship, lifetime subscription, title, credits, customizations? Not a party jawa? I mean, some of us have been paying you for a LONG time and all of a sudden you go Free-to-Play and decide you can dismiss us by giving us a mask and a party jawa, some items that probably won't even be recognized by other players and won't benefit us except for looks? Grant us an extra species or character, and reward us properly, please.
There is only Power, and those too weak to seek it.

Andryah
09.25.2012 , 08:59 PM | #1199
Quote: Originally Posted by WizardsDestiny View Post
Can't we actually be rewarded, such as with a new ship, lifetime subscription, title, credits, customizations? Not a party jawa? I mean, some of us have been paying you for a LONG time and all of a sudden you go Free-to-Play and decide you can dismiss us by giving us a mask and a party jawa, some items that probably won't even be recognized by other players and won't benefit us except for looks? Grant us an extra species or character, and reward us properly, please.
Hey, don't be hatin' on the Jawas. They will kneecap you with a blaster shot to the knee.
MMOs mimic real life in some ways. Take challenges for example.... you can either use intellect and overcome a challenge or not. In other words, you can make lemonade from lemons, or you can just suck on the lemon. Up to you.

yoohoohoo
09.26.2012 , 04:14 PM | #1200
I don't know why everyone is hating on Bioware for this. They're trying to get people to enjoy the game for as long as they want and if they enjoy it and want more they'll subscribe. I believe that Bioware has done a great thing here by opening up the game to the public. They can try the game and see if they like it. I for one have tried DCUO, STO and LOTRO because they all have f2p and i'm still playing all three. SWTOR can only benefit from this so if you whiney subs can't accept that, go post your **** somewhere else. Bioware are trying to help and you're spitting in their faces.
Lord Vivicar: Soon the combined strength of your masters will make me the most powerful force adept who has ever lived.
Consular: If you love the force so much, prepare to become one with it.