Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The Empire and your personal Morality

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
The Empire and your personal Morality

GavinPatterson
09.04.2012 , 03:24 PM | #1
I played Republic first and then Empire for change. I quickly fell in love with the Empire - after all its the first chance in any star wars games to play on the side of evil.
But after leveling one 50 and a 46 of the same class - I have noticed a few times when the decisions made, or how the conversation went really made me sit back and go that's just wrong.
Has this happened to anyone else? has the choices made by the empire or the republic ever make you rethink the side you're on? if so, share your experience
Jedi Master and Consular

Wyer
09.04.2012 , 03:47 PM | #2
My 1st char and my main, I went for every dark side point I could.
I was maxed out dark side pretty early and still went for as the dark side points.

It got to the stage that the choices I was making, made me feel a tad 'sick'. I would even say some of it is quite boarder line to even be in a game!

Now when I lvl new toons, light side points all the way mate!
Wyer - lvl 50 Sith Warrior / Marauder
Wyer'Fett - lvl 51 Bounty Hunter / Mercenary
Wyer - lvl 25 Trooper / Commando

CharlieBrown
09.04.2012 , 03:53 PM | #3
Whenever both sides cooperate I think "we need more of this". Specifically:

Spoiler

It shows the moral ambiguity inherent in armed conflict.

A very long time ago, in a middle school far, far away a visiting scoutmaster for Boy Scouts of America told us a story about an experience he had in the Desert Storm conflict. He was part of a a convoy that was ambushed and he was forced to retreat in a different direction than his squad. Working to regroup with his men, he was caught unarmed by an opposing soldier. Basically having nothing to lose, he threw up his Scout sign. The opposing soldier also put up his Scout sign and walked away.

Fictionalized or not, it left an impact on me. I never considered that those involved in armed conflict were "people", in the emotional sense, and were able to make decisions based on their own morality and not some greater goal assigned to them from someone in an office 3,000 miles away.

When I hear about similar stories, I think that this something I'd like to see represented more often. The above two story lines gave me the opportunity to see it.

Playing a Sith Warrior all dark felt boring after playing my inquisitor that way. Adding some light side choices as they made sense (no killing of innocents, for instance) made way more sense to me than just the full "ALL HAIL THE EMPEROR!!!" rhetoric that a pure dark side story would give you. We need to see more of that.

TL;DR Yes.
Fiera × MainAssassin Tank
<E> Guild × Prophecy of the Five

Xairon
09.04.2012 , 05:15 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by GavinPatterson View Post
I played Republic first and then Empire for change. I quickly fell in love with the Empire - after all its the first chance in any star wars games to play on the side of evil.
But after leveling one 50 and a 46 of the same class - I have noticed a few times when the decisions made, or how the conversation went really made me sit back and go that's just wrong.
Has this happened to anyone else? has the choices made by the empire or the republic ever make you rethink the side you're on? if so, share your experience
I leveled Rep first too, and sat between a realist and a moral goodie two-shoes. But when I played Empire, I went all DS all the time, a few choices make me question my action, particularly:

Spoiler
Fable Herbkindle - Jedi Sage, Ajunta Pall
Founder, Collector's Edition
Forum Member: Nov. 2008

StaticJoe
09.04.2012 , 05:20 PM | #5

Me personally, I prefer to play DS as it's more fun for me--I've played mostly DS toons in KOTOR, TSL, JK and JA. That said, after hitting Dark V with both my vengeance jugg and tankasin I am going to change things up with my marauder and tank jugg taking more of a more neutral path
I swear on my medical license! The real one!

--Doctor Ryamn

Cindikle
09.04.2012 , 05:30 PM | #6
I find some of the light side points to be worse than the dark side. For example on False Emperor I can kill the guy or make him sabotage his whole fleet, killing thousands. To me:
-Killing a traitor would be light side.
-Making a guy kill thousands to save his own skin would be dark side.

I killed a lot of soldiers on my way to that guy. Why is one more what makes me evil? And there are lot of these choices I'd like a gray area that doesn't give me light or dark points. Mainly for the reasons of what the OP stated.

FreePrometheus
09.04.2012 , 05:32 PM | #7
Hmm... I have a habit in games like this, to never be able to settle for one alignement type. So i have two force using characters who i am taking to alignment extremes. The other are a slightly grey either way.

I cannot honestly say that any of the DS or LS choices affect me. I simply roleplay, if that means torturing someone with lightning (Sorceror) So be it.

The reason i have both alignments is this: On my good days (When i am feeling happy) I play LS characters. On my bad days (When i feel annoyed, angry, or similar) I play DS. They are both a harmless release valve. Its why most people cant understand why i am, generally, a very calm and placid person. Even when someone is outwardly attempting to hurt or provoke me.

Forget what the media says. Games (In my case) are the best counselors and psychological healers you can get. IF you can learn to seem them so.

danzurg
09.04.2012 , 05:38 PM | #8
It doesnt bother me to much tbh, When I create a char I always think about what morality I want to give him before starting down either path. I dont really see it as me making the choices but my char if that makes any sense ;P If I was going to make a char based on what choices I would make in life they would probably be mostly light. xD

venomlash
09.04.2012 , 05:55 PM | #9
My main is a Commando, so I rolled a Mercenary during the stress-test beta to get a feel for the gameplay without spoiling the story. I quickly became sick of the stuff I was being forced to do; I realized that you don't have the option to be a good guy in the Empire, but only a slightly less disgustingly evil guy. Since launch, I haven't rolled a single Imp.
Quote: Originally Posted by MichelleArcher View Post
Hey there, all! This thread has passed the dreaded 1,000 post limit, and is now in fire. Thanks for the fun, but we feel this discussion as run its course. We will not be restarting this thread.
Jarrant Gartin, Gunnery Commando, Spark of Hope, Begeren Colony

Imhotep
09.04.2012 , 05:57 PM | #10
Nope I cut off a guys head and gave it to his wife. Its a game nothing more. I dont consider the morality of the decisions at all because in the end its just pixels.
The Ofali Legacy
Imhotep - Mercenary
Anubis - Marauder | Nama'Kubi - Sniper | Sėkhmet - Sorcerer

Guildmaster of the Nemesis Syndicate - The Harbinger - Maybe™