Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Nightmare Pilgrim griefing - request for clear statement from CS

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service (Read-Only)
Nightmare Pilgrim griefing - request for clear statement from CS

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

LagunaD
08.17.2012 , 04:57 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by JFerret View Post
Ok but bear in mind you are on a different faction to them so technically within this game you are at war with them so is it not part of gameplay to disrupt the other factions actions?
There is nothing to prevent a group of the same faction from doing exactly the same thing. In fact, on a PvE server, it is immaterial whether the griefers are the same faction or the opposite faction, since in either case you can't attack them or prevent them from griefing you.

As such, the argument that it's just a form of PvP between Republic and Empire is a red herring. The issue itself actually has nothing to do with PvP, except that on a PvP server it would be theoretically possible to prevent the opposite faction (but not your own) from doing it.

So if anyone reported me for doing this that is the argument I would use, the game allows me to do it so who's at fault?
If you disrupt the normal flow of gameplay, you are at fault according to the TOS.

Another example may help clarify. Suppose you are fighting an elite quest mob, and have it at 10% health when another player of the same faction comes up, taunts it, and then runs away until the mob resets (to full health). And suppose every time you try again, the player does the same thing. (This example assumes you are not a tank class and can't taunt it back)

Do you seriously want to argue that because the game "allows" a player in your faction to taunt a mob you are fighting and make it reset, that this type of behavior is fine and dandy?
Dagoreth/Shadow - Martina/Sentinel - Sandrine/Commando - Silmara/Scoundrel
Belechannas/Sage - Knox/Vanguard

Vixxa/Marauder - Niobe/Sorceror
The Harbinger

JFerret
08.17.2012 , 05:22 AM | #12
Your point is mute cos if he runs away and you attack the elite again you will pick up aggro. Regardless I have already stated this is not how it should work but what you fail to understand from all of these posts is you are reporting someone for doing something that the games programmers allow whether it be intentional or not.

All of these issues could be solved with a simple mechanic that could be added to every enemy so the first attack locks those enemies to your character/group/ops, no-one else can interfere with it in any way whatsoever. As Bioware have failed to do something like this since release they are basically saying this is the way the game works and nothing we can do about it. Do you suggest every time someone interferes we have to report them for it? There are many a time I have had objectives/chests ninja'd if I reported every single one of them my support requests would be full and bioware would probably just ignore me.

Simple fix that has not been implemented since the beginning of the game suggests to me they will never implement it and as such players have gotten used to the mechanics of how it works so they could not justify punishing someone for an action that is allowed throughout the game world in different scenarios and I would kick up a stink if I was on the receiving end.

Again I do not condone these actions and I have never interefered with anyone elses game but really there is no punishment they can dish out they have to change the programming its the only way and its what I have been saying in every post since this thread started.

You can come back with any other situation you want to but its pointless until bioware do something about it, they cannot leave it open to abuse then ban/punish people for doing it, they need to close the loophole, simple.

LagunaD
08.17.2012 , 11:47 AM | #13
Your point is mute cos if he runs away and you attack the elite again you will pick up aggro.
No, you will not. The taunter will gain 130% of your accumulated threat. If a high hit-point mob is taunted when at 10-20% health, you will not be able to regain aggro unless you have a taunt of your own.
Dagoreth/Shadow - Martina/Sentinel - Sandrine/Commando - Silmara/Scoundrel
Belechannas/Sage - Knox/Vanguard

Vixxa/Marauder - Niobe/Sorceror
The Harbinger

SirGCal
09.04.2012 , 12:29 PM | #14
Here is more fuel to support that there NEEDS to be some change...

Our Rep guild doing our first 'guild only' NP attempt. Many of us have done it with other guilds but we've just hit 16 people relatively geared enough to take it on solo. Great for us sure but the problem is getting 16 people online anymore (and this is on the Fatman server to boot) and at the same time no one messing with the raiding party. It takes just ONE person doing one thing to wipe the raid...

This attempt wasn't an honest attempt, it was following up our 4th or so honest attempt. This one was strictly to get video of the annoying persons interactions.

http://youtu.be/TqaY12-njGU

And as others have said, they do not even have to be of the opposing factions. Other Reps could have come in here and wiped us just as easily... It's made even more annoying by the lag that so many people in one area causes with this horrible MMO engine. Even with the rather insane specs of my personal rig over 25M fiber internet, it still gets very horrid performance... Then to react to 1 second casts (Gore) is just asking for trouble when the server response is so poor. But that's another topic... Back to the issue at hand:

http://youtu.be/REl1gy_ToFc

This video shows a prime example of one, and only one, person destroying an otherwise successful attempt. A stealth-er pops in, does a knock-back to the group also adding the 17th tick to the buff counter. In this case they also popped an evasive and escaped still alive to top it all off (killing me shortly after the raid was dead). Or possibly ressing fast... something. Anyhow, THIS is the problem. I could have done the same thing from here if I had just shot the boss or even sent in my pet (probably) or healed one of their members. THAT is just not right in anyone's book.

I know what their goal was, at least I think I do. They wanted like an old-school world-dragon fight from like EQ. Where 200 people had to fight each other to fight for the dragon death also. Well those fights were also different as the most DPS, or killing blow, wins the kill making it a 2 part race. TOR isn't like that at all. The group that pulled it get's it but everyone else can ONLY @#$% with their attempts. That's not a world boss.

Options: Remove the 16 man limit period... Sure this allows guilds to bring 24... if they can, more power to them. At the same time, we've done it with as little as 13 with some combined guild's best. Other option, make the 16 player trigger lock to the op, and retain even through death so other people can't jump in (make it last 7M or something... enrage is 6:30). Anyone attacking a player with the buff is instantly killed. Anyone drawing aggro from the mob while the buff is at 16 is instantly killed with no adverse affect to the attempting group. Or the obvious, just put the dang thing in an instance!!! If you want to be hard about it, this would also fix 'running back' unless you let them re-spawn inside the instance during the fight also, thus making the fight much harder still. You might be nice by making gore a 1.25 or 1.5 second cast in that case though... Just a tad more time to deal with client and client-server lag issues related to the engine choice. PLUS, the instance would allow people to practice the fight...

After all, you DO want people to DO the content you create... correct? Right now there are tons of them who COULD do it but refuse to. Our guild doesn't bother with NP simply because of the above issues. We tried it last night at odd hours (and there was no 50's on when we started but a 46 ran by and then they showed up...) for those of us who hadn't done it before. And as soon as the wipe fest started, almost all of the guild said "I'm done with it. Don't want it that bad.". Especially when none of them 'NEED' the boots... So why bother with the fight at all other then 'to do it'. And we don't want 'to do it' that badly to deal with griefing repeatedly...

Again, take a good look at that second video. An otherwise successful attempt thwarted by a single action from a single player. Anyone can run into a group of people in stealth and hit a single button on their quick bar or hot key. Heck, I could probably train my dog to pull that one off... It doesn't take any skill at all and it only serves to annoy or anger 16+ other people doing what the designers wanted them to do. Following these actions, almost all groups just fleet-pass and call it a night. So these actions cause people to stop playing or at least go do something else within the game. It is NOT beneficial in any shape/way/form to the intent of the game itself. And honestly, it's even worse by the fact that you can do it to the same faction so there's even no way to stop it at all depending who's doing it. Wana make it sensible and keep it a world event, lose the player limit. But I think most people would just rather have it instanced...
First-Day GameStop Collector's Edition