Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Same gender relationships clarifications?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Same gender relationships clarifications?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

JediMB's Avatar


JediMB
09.02.2012 , 07:12 AM | #1071
Just dropping in to show my support. I resubscribed a month ago, after canceling my subscription to play Mass Effect 3 back in February. (The way that game ended didn't exactly encourage me to resubscribe.)

So I resumed playing my female Bounty Hunter, and did the romance story with Torian... which was nice, but I just didn't feel as close to him as I did Mako. Oh well.

I'd really hoped that, by this point in time, there'd be same-sex romance options in the game, but since there aren't I decided to go against my protagonist preference and create a male Smuggler... although not until I'd earned the 1.5 million credits needed to unlock Chiss for the class, since I really couldn't stand playing as any other species for a male Smuggler, for whatever reason.

Now I'm just hoping that by the time I'm done with my Smuggler and want to roll another new character, the same-sex romance content will have been added to the game. I'd love for the game to go all DA2 in that department, where there'll be no availability disappointments for anyone, but at the very least I think the two "primary" companions for each class should be bi, with additional Act 4 characters as new options. But that's me.

I really hope we'll get some news on new story content for the game soon.... (And if we haven't at least received a date by the time this game time card runs out, I'll have serious doubts about renewing until they actually do release some new information,)
The Morrowbringer Legacy The Red Eclipse (PvE) [EU]
Deep into that darkness peering, you reach out your hand and grasp what you are searching for.
Now ring the bells that sweep away the darkness; the bells that beckon tomorrow's dawn.

Biancaneri's Avatar


Biancaneri
09.02.2012 , 08:32 AM | #1072
Quote: Originally Posted by LordTynell View Post
How many individual posters? That's the key point. If you have, say, 100 posters, who consistently post, that's not the same as saying 6,024 people are supporting it. Also, let's say it -was- 6,024 posters, and we're assuming this game has, well, 300,000 subs. Well, that's 2% of the player base.

When we look at it like that - I hope you can understand that there are quite larger issues for Bioware to tackle. They have that whole F2P model thing coming out, a new warzone, a new op, most likely a new flashpoint, etc.

2%. And that's thinking that all posts are by separate individuals, and we know that's not true because we know, Uluain, that you have posted in these threads probably 200 times or more (which would be like 6%).

So on the macro level, it's not as serious as an issue overall as you're making it out to be. It matters to you. But what about the 2% that want the space expanded? What about the 2% that want Pazaak?

We know it's coming, you and your posse have made sure everyone knows that. And I hope for you guys it comes sooner rather than later. However, I'd recommend to just sit back and understand that there are a ton of splinter groups and pleasing all of them is a very difficult process.

And always be aware Bioware can change their mind. I am sure I don't need to remind you of Aerial PVP and the Dance Studio in WoW. Game developers seem to change their thoughts on a whim.

Anyway, best of luck to you guys, just trying to add some perspective.
Not all people who play the game read the forums. Not all people who read the forums post on the forums. Drawing a conclusion as to percentages based on that is... well, stupid.

I think I'm like the majority thinking on this - I read this thread, and keep up on the issue and don't post about it really. I'm anxious for the game to represent people equally. I mean, they enable inter-species sexual relations - how is that less of an issue than homosexual relationships?

QwibQwib's Avatar


QwibQwib
09.02.2012 , 09:00 AM | #1073
I don't have any data to back this up, but something I wonder about is how many people play(ed) SWTOR because it was made by Bioware, a company known for making games with SGRs? I know I did, especially since it was announced to be a post-launch feature (though I didn't realize it would take so long if it did). That wasn't the whole reason I did, but it was a major component. My point is this: wouldn't the percentage of subscribers who care about SGRs be higher than normal?

Uluain's Avatar


Uluain
09.02.2012 , 06:07 PM | #1074
Quote: Originally Posted by QwibQwib View Post
I don't have any data to back this up, but something I wonder about is how many people play(ed) SWTOR because it was made by Bioware, a company known for making games with SGRs? I know I did, especially since it was announced to be a post-launch feature (though I didn't realize it would take so long if it did). That wasn't the whole reason I did, but it was a major component. My point is this: wouldn't the percentage of subscribers who care about SGRs be higher than normal?
We don't know. We can suppose, and BioWare has extrapolated from player choices in DA:O, but until this content is in-game, BioWare has no metrics from SWTOR to work from except what percentage of players explore existing romantic content. However, such extrapolation is subject to interpretive bias if it is assumed that all those not exploring existing content are uninterested in romance in general. Some -- I only speak for myself, but I doubt I am the only one -- are solely interested in the same-gender romances.

BioWare has indicated, however, that they do know this is important to some players. In his commentary following the announcement last September which has become the boilerplate position statement on same-gender romances, then Community Manager Stephen Reid said:

Quote: Originally Posted by Stephen Reid
First of all, this is definitely not an audience that consists of a 'couple of people' and we're aware of that. We take this decision very seriously.
In a little over a week, however, that comment will be a year old, and we have had only one comment from BioWare since. That was last March, before major changes at BioWare Austin and before changes in direction for SWTOR overall. We don't know what to expect at this point, and if BioWare does in fact value a diverse player community and take this content seriously, we need to see some kind of indication of that.

No one is asking for daily updates. No one is asking for immediate implementation. No one even says this ought to be a higher priority than bug fixes, optimization or group content. However, segregating the discussion and then neglecting ever to respond to it is, in a word, disappointing.

Hessen's Avatar


Hessen
09.03.2012 , 04:28 AM | #1075
Surely it's pretty obvious that it's not on the cards at all, but they are not going to come out and say that because it will drive away players who still have hope that it's going to happen.

Kioma's Avatar


Kioma
09.03.2012 , 06:32 AM | #1076
Quote: Originally Posted by Hessen View Post
Surely it's pretty obvious that it's not on the cards at all, but they are not going to come out and say that because it will drive away players who still have hope that it's going to happen.
We'll see.
::Please Stand By, Signature Assessment Probe Commencing Analysis::

Maevarr's Avatar


Maevarr
09.03.2012 , 04:35 PM | #1077
Quote: Originally Posted by Hessen View Post
Surely it's pretty obvious that it's not on the cards at all, but they are not going to come out and say that because it will drive away players who still have hope that it's going to happen.
Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if this was indeed the case. Then again, this prolonged vow of silence will also drive away players.

Uluain's Avatar


Uluain
09.03.2012 , 04:38 PM | #1078
Quote: Originally Posted by Hessen View Post
Surely it's pretty obvious that it's not on the cards at all, but they are not going to come out and say that because it will drive away players who still have hope that it's going to happen.
At least as of Sept. 1, the Stephen Reid announcement that same-gender romance will be in SWTOR at some point is still the stock boilerplate response on this issue for Support (though the reply did not in fact answer the questions I asked):

Quote:
I am Protocol Droid A0-L6, Human-Cyborg Relations.

Thank you for contacting us regarding same gender romance story arcs in Star Wars™:The Old Republic™.

We understand that this topic is one that''s very important to many of our community members, and we appreciate you contacting us for clarification.

Due to the design constraints of a fully voiced MMO of this scale and size, many choices had to be made as to the launch and post-launch feature set. Same gender romances with companion characters in Star Wars™:The Old Republic™ will be a post-launch feature. Because The Old Republic is an MMO, the game will live on through content expansions which allow us to include content and features that could not be included at launch, including the addition of more companion characters who will have additional romance options.

We at BioWare and Star Wars™:The Old Republic™ appreciate all our fans, and are proud to have such a diverse and tolerant community. Should you require assistance with any other issues, please do not hesitate to contact us again.

Galactic Support is our specialty…
They may have failed to change out the stock reply, or this could still be The Plan. Until we are told one way or the other, however, we can only speculate and continue to request clarification.

Quote: Originally Posted by Maevarr View Post
Then again, this prolonged vow of silence will also drive away players.
Indeed, it already has. Most recently and notably, this thread lost longtime poster and voice of moderation MusedMoose on account of this... failure to communicate. I am sure he is not the first and I am afraid he will not be the last.

Captain_Zone's Avatar


Captain_Zone
09.03.2012 , 06:46 PM | #1079
It's strange. A few months back, BioWare was actually communicating with the fans on certain issues. They received praise on the Forums for their transparency. Then all of a sudden, they clammed up again.
. OPOD
Best Dark Side Points in the game: Bounty Hunter ROFLCURBSTOMPING that nobleman on Alderaan when he mouths off.

Malles's Avatar


Malles
09.03.2012 , 07:00 PM | #1080
Quote: Originally Posted by Captain_Zone View Post
It's strange. A few months back, BioWare was actually communicating with the fans on certain issues. They received praise on the Forums for their transparency. Then all of a sudden, they clammed up again.
Because EA woke up one day and remembered they owned BioWare, so now we're operating under Electronic Arts SOP until they start developing the next Madden game.

Seriously, though, I don't think they're going to. Same-sex relationships has always been seen in M-rated games and this is a T-game. And since LucasArts has this thing with catering to the younger generations, we won't see same-sex stuff for a while, if ever. I don't know why people keep bringing it up. If it happens, it happens. If not, so what? Sure, it's make the game more fun, but so would playable Trandoshans or removing EA's pull over the game, and we're not getting those soon either.
I used simple happy language words to help you understand.
Why yes, I have been a proud SWTOR Community member since August 2011. Why, wanna fight about it?