Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Mobile Nivida Cards slow down

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service
Mobile Nivida Cards slow down
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

AverageToaster
12.19.2011 , 05:04 PM | #1
It has been noted by numerous people getting terrible FPS, I myself frequent 5-15fps while playing but then jumps to 30fps during conversations. I have noticed that among most people having this problem is tied to Mobile Nivida Cards. Maybe this is the problem, maybe not. I managed to raise my fps from what was just 5fps all the time to the 5-15fps by changing from the most recent driver to the beta driver.

I currently run the game at 800x600 with everything low/off trees/grass at 0 and windowed and full screen never seem to effect it.

Sometimes when starting up the game it seems as if there is no lighting at all, just vague black sillouetes in the dark, the HUD loads but is blank.

Sometimes the game simply stops loading at about half way when changing areas.

Conversations take a few minuets before they even start, sometimes I can hit Esc to back out and try again and that works but not all the time.

I have tired the suggestions of editing Nvidia settings as were suggest by others in other threads also along with the max settings then down to low settings to reset the game, none of these work. I was invited to the beta but did not manage to put in any time, looking at this problem I probably should have, here's to hoping this is in today's patch!

Edit: I would also like to point out this is NOT a latency issue, my lat would generally stay in the 35-45 range. This is a hardware, software, game optimization issue.

DxDiag
Spoiler

Ringzero
12.19.2011 , 05:07 PM | #2
Unfortunately, SWTOR is just a much more demanding game than most other MMOs. I was running a 9800m GTS, which is quite a bit better than your 8600 GT, and I was never approaching 30 FPS even on the lowest of low settings. Textures took forever to load. Overheating caused major throttling down on a regular basis.

It's not a SWTOR problem. It just time to upgrade.

iRob
12.19.2011 , 05:10 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Ringzero View Post
Unfortunately, SWTOR is just a much more demanding game than most other MMOs. I was running a 9800m GTS, which is quite a bit better than your 8600 GT, and I was never approaching 30 FPS even on the lowest of low settings. Textures took forever to load. Overheating caused major throttling down on a regular basis.

No, it IS a SWTOR problem. There are people with worse graphics cards than both of yours and they are getting a decent frame rate on low/medium settings.

On the flipside, there's people with amazing graphics cards that are only getting 10-20fps on low settings.

Until it's addressed by Bioware and some sort of fix is in the works, don't bother upgrading because it's possible you'll still have problems. We just have to wait and see what happens tomorrow.

fjano
12.19.2011 , 05:10 PM | #4
I was one of the people who entered a thread on this very issue. I have a p8700 CPU (2.53GHz dual core) with nVidia 260M. Frame frate is about 15-20 outside (sometimes lower) with 30-40 indoors (in small rooms). I think part of it might be CPU related (dual core vs. quad) but I don't understand how I can run other graphically intensive games at better framerates than TOR (for example, car racing game GRID and Street Fighter 4).

Even WOW ran fairly well for me in Dalaran/Stormwind.
Success has a thousand parents, but poor failure is an orphan.

Smaois
12.19.2011 , 05:11 PM | #5 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
Quote: Originally Posted by AverageToaster View Post
It has been noted by numerous people getting terrible FPS, I myself frequent 5-15fps while playing but then jumps to 30fps during conversations. I have noticed that among most people having this problem is tied to Mobile Nivida Cards. Maybe this is the problem, maybe not. I managed to raise my fps from what was just 5fps all the time to the 5-15fps by changing from the most recent driver to the beta driver.

I currently run the game at 800x600 with everything low/off trees/grass at 0 and windowed and full screen never seem to effect it.

Sometimes when starting up the game it seems as if there is no lighting at all, just vague black sillouetes in the dark, the HUD loads but is blank.

Sometimes the game simply stops loading at about half way when changing areas.

Conversations take a few minuets before they even start, sometimes I can hit Esc to back out and try again and that works but not all the time.

I was invited to the beta but did not manage to put in any time, looking at this problem I probably should have, here's to hoping this is in today's patch!

Edit: I would also like to point out this is NOT a latency issue, my lat would generally stay in the 35-45 range. This is a hardware, software, game optimization issue.

DxDiag
Spoiler
Greetings AverageToaster,

Unfortunately,it appears that your graphics card does not meet the minimum system requirements.

The minimum requirements can be found here.

Smaois | BioWare Customer Service – Forum Support

AverageToaster
12.19.2011 , 05:13 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Ringzero View Post

I do agree, I would love a new system but this inst a upgrade problem. People with worse settings can run this fine, its compatibly with chipsets, this computer exceeds game requirements, for a simple look here is a Can I run this test.

Ringzero
12.19.2011 , 05:15 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by AverageToaster View Post
I do agree, I would love a new system but this inst a upgrade problem. People with worse settings can run this fine, its compatibly with chipsets, this computer exceeds game requirements, for a simple look here is a Can I run this test.
Unfortunately, that website also says my 4-year-old crappy work notebook computer with integrated graphics chipset can run it.

AverageToaster
12.19.2011 , 05:29 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by N5-L1 View Post

Unfortunately,it appears that your graphics card does not meet the minimum system requirements.

Hmm interesting, comparing the 7800 to the 8600 to my knowledge the 8600, granted it is older, should be more powerful.

As per that link
Quote:
Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ requires a video card that has a minimum of 256MB of on-board RAM as well as support for Shader 3.0 or better.
This card has 1.5GB of video ram and pixel, and vertex shader support of 4.0
More info on my card vs a 7800

MindFullness
12.19.2011 , 10:17 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by N5-L1 View Post

Sorry Mister Droid, I got a GT540M, though not the latest "beast" it's miles aheasd of a 7800 or whatever in the graphic card foodchain and I got the same problems like most of the nVidia's owner.

Cheers!
CRACKERJACKS PvE Progression

Recruitment: Open / Guild Website

shadowghost_
12.20.2011 , 09:47 AM | #10
My fiancee's new laptop (got her an Alienware m14x for chirstmas) has issues with frame rates as well. We were questing together on some new jedi toons we made last night and damn Tython kills my framerate but when she told me what she was getting it was easily half my framerate (mine was still very much playable) She was getting between 10-30 in open areas. I think the grass kills it. I have a Radeon 6870 and the m14x has a nVidia 1.5GB 555m, so it's no slouch. I just think there are certain areas that cause these dips in framerate.

My main toon is an Inquisitor and the Empire worlds don't seem to suffer from the same issue as the Republic controlled worlds. I really only noticed my framerate drop when on Tython with grass.

My settings: Everything on High, grass at like 33% and that other slider at about 50% (I forgot what the heck it is, I just remember what they look like) 1920x1080.

Hers: Same as mine except running on her laptop, 1600x900

I figure we could turn down shadows and we might get a few more frames out of it, but she wasn't complaining I just thought it was odd that we were getting such frame spikes. My biggest gripe is load times. It takes like 1-3 minutes to load between PvP and the world and when I first get in the game. Hers is a lot faster. Fresh install of Win 7 and up to date video drivers. I wonder if it's a built in audio thing. That is tied to the main bus and seems to create weird issues.