Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

PvP sans griefing?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
PvP sans griefing?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Orionmajor
09.01.2012 , 12:06 PM | #1
I know many people in this forum want a change to pvp. I ask this, is there any way to do a world PvP without griefers,or a way to lessen it?

For example, DCUO did a large mega server that was PVP, and one PVE, where you could switch, that was a good thing I think BW might consider, However, even there, you had level 50's camp in the newbie areas to make sure new players could nto adavnce, which of course, is bad for business, as people quit the game.

Is it possible perhaps for PvP players to police themselves, to cut off griefers from the better guilds?

vojinsa
09.01.2012 , 12:20 PM | #2
no there is not. i gank ppl on a daily basis (pvp server) because i enjoy it. it could be a toon 20 lvls lower than me or a 50 at 40% health trying to do BH dailies. wpvp is what you call it and the only "police" are the turrets at each factions base. if a player does not like wpvp forced on them then roll on a pve realm*.

*some weeks ago a bunch of pvp baddies(pve server) thought it was a good idea to force flag ppl and then they excused it as forcing wpvp for fun. bw took down the thread (jedi convy server) but they went on on how some were making them out to be the bad guys for exploiting the system for their amusement.
Quote:
Imperial Agent-If I brought you flowers, what would you do?
Kaliyo- Go look for a man?
I love Kaliyo.

TheRealCandyMan
09.01.2012 , 12:30 PM | #3
Griefing is a part of choosing to play on a PvP server. If you don't want to be griefed then you shouldn't have chosen to be on a PvP server. That's your fault, not Bioware's.

Shuno
09.01.2012 , 12:55 PM | #4
Ganking lowbies or whatever is how it starts.. Someone kills another person and they call their friend and blah blah blah.. it escalates quickly sometimes. Remember the Tarren Mill/Southshore fights in early WoW yer that was because of that as well.

That is why since i started playing MMOS i never ever roll on a PVE server

SWG Euro Farstar
----------

Grimsmith
09.01.2012 , 12:56 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Orionmajor View Post
I know many people in this forum want a change to pvp. I ask this, is there any way to do a world PvP without griefers,or a way to lessen it?

For example, DCUO did a large mega server that was PVP, and one PVE, where you could switch, that was a good thing I think BW might consider, However, even there, you had level 50's camp in the newbie areas to make sure new players could nto adavnce, which of course, is bad for business, as people quit the game.

Is it possible perhaps for PvP players to police themselves, to cut off griefers from the better guilds?
Simply put, no. If you play PvP servers you take your knocks and deal with the griefers. I don't do that so well so don't play on PvP servers unless I have a clan behind me to annihilate the annoying little scrotes - it's so enjoyable when they realise that they've hit a kill list and there are 20+ people at any given moment in time waiting to scrag them.

Not just this game but any MMO that gives the option - it takes balls of steel and morals of tissue to go PvP, That'd be why I'm PvE server so far and I'll go PvP when I find a good crowd to run with - I sure as hell ain't doing it solo!

Pcolapat
09.01.2012 , 01:04 PM | #6
Griefing and PVP are often confused. Griefing is defined as any action one player does to another to prevent that player from enjoying their intended experience. If you roll on a PVP server then your intended experience is PVP. Therefore it is impossible to grief another player on a PVP server through PVP.

What you are suggesting is for bioware to ruin PVP by setting restrictions. If anything, there needs to be less restrictions in this game on PVP servers. Players have a choice on what type of server they choose to roll on. If they want an experience unimpeded by PVP, then a PVE server is where they should play. If they want the challenge of completing the PVE content while under the threat of PVP, then they should be able to experience that. The contrast should be very clear and the two servers should be a very different experience from one another.
Anything that is done repetitively can be done by a computer. That is why right brained people will eventually rule the world.

Shuno
09.01.2012 , 01:12 PM | #7
I used to play WoW on the RP-PVP server/realm Defias Brotherhood. It was a great realm with a long history.
In places like Stranglethorn Vale around the Nessingwary quest givers up north there was often a team of high levels that sat around the campfire chatting looking out for trouble.
Trouble meant other high level peeps ganking low level peeps questing, but these guys didn't gank low levels themselves, think of them more like police. I myself as part of Orcs of the Redblade stood watch a few times patrolling and helping both Alliance or Horde as i wandered about the area.

I don't know where i am going with this, but world pvp is my favourite thing ever and i wish this game had more of it.

SWG Euro Farstar
----------

WarbNull
09.01.2012 , 01:17 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by vojinsa View Post
no there is not. i gank ppl on a daily basis (pvp server) because i enjoy it. it could be a toon 20 lvls lower than me or a 50 at 40% health trying to do BH dailies. wpvp is what you call it and the only "police" are the turrets at each factions base. if a player does not like wpvp forced on them then roll on a pve realm*.

*some weeks ago a bunch of pvp baddies(pve server) thought it was a good idea to force flag ppl and then they excused it as forcing wpvp for fun. bw took down the thread (jedi convy server) but they went on on how some were making them out to be the bad guys for exploiting the system for their amusement.
I like the little text there. Its like you are trying to mention the issue on PVE servers but not making it a main thing.

On PVP Servers I would have to agree with you on the first paragraph. That is what a PVP server should be about.
But...
That second Paragraph, the little one, is what I think the issue of PVP Griefing should be about. On PVE servers forcing players into PVP when they do not want to and hanging around in order to try and do this is Griefing. Those people that do this and think that they are not in the wrong, are well, wrong. So they were the Bad Guys for exploiting it. Last night I made a thread on this as it happened to me last night. If I wanted to PVP I would go into the PVP zone and Flag myself or Role on a PVP Server. For me I was in the middle of doing a PVE Mission. The guy Forced Flagged me and killed me, twice. Then hung around waiting to do it again to me and others. That is not cool.

So this is how I view PVP and what I think it should be like.

If you choose to PVP then you risk going up against stronger and better Players. At the same time the game needs a way for you to be able to fall back and relax a bit. Safe Zones. But you can not hide in Safe Zones all the time. You need to take the Risk and venture out a bit when you are PVP'ing, or else you will never learn and grow.
Now...
On a PVE Server and RP Serer it should not be possible to Force people into PVP. That should be the Players Choice to do.
On a PVP server everyone should be flagged as PVP from the get go.

What needs to be Fixed with this game is the ability for one player to Force Flag another player as PVP on Non-PVP Servers. That should not be allowed. What this does in allowed people to grief others that do not want to PVP.

That is what I think PVP should be like.
Khai-Kun Legacy Shadowlands
Smuggler Gunslinger Saboteur
Jedi Consular Sage
Bounty Hunter PowerTech Pyrotech

Erasimus
09.01.2012 , 01:34 PM | #9
I've leveled characters on WoW PvP servers and all my characters in SWTOR are on PvP servers.

Ganking (killing characters so much lower than you are that they have no chance) happens. There are several reasons:

1. Trying to provoke a response from higher level characters.
2. The ganker has, let us say, issues and/or is probably so bad at PvP that killing lowbies is all they can do. Often very young kids or intoxicated adults.
3. So big into Role playing that they believe it is their duty (really weird in my opinion).

Some of the Best open world PvP I had was outside of instances when a horde and alliance guild showed up at the same time to raid and it turned into a huge battle.

There is a reason that of the top 25 progressed guilds in WoW (last time I checked) all but 2 or 3 were from PvP servers. You have to be determined and very persistent to even make it to max level.

There is nothing I've seen yet in SWTOR that even approaches that kind of open world PvP. On a WoW PvP server you were foolish if you didn't join a guild as early as possible. There were areas you could take forever to get through without guild help
"Give light and the darkness will disappear of itself."

CosmicKat
09.01.2012 , 02:41 PM | #10
PvP without griefing is never going to happen. A large percentage of people think griefing/ganking IS PvP. There are also plenty of legit and honest PvP players out there of course, but 1 ganker can have a much larger impact on the world than 10 legit PvPers.

Griefing is the major reason why I have no interest in PvP.

The other is exploiting: the searching out of loopholes, bugs, design flaws, or other "tricks" to gain an unintended (by the designers) advantage.