Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Announcing a Free-to-Play Option

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Announcing a Free-to-Play Option
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Sumire
08.29.2012 , 03:49 AM | #1171
Do people who bought the Digital Deluxe version get anything above those who bought the standard edition in terms of these cartel commendations?

Not too bothered about the free to play thing, I will continue to subscribe as long as though I get a load of freebies each month, otherwise I will no doubt go and play a panda :P
Grammar is important. Capital letters are the difference between helping your Uncle Jack off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

TiggeHunter
08.29.2012 , 01:07 PM | #1172
well this sucks...

TiggeHunter
08.29.2012 , 01:08 PM | #1173
We that pre-orderd the game? We should get a bonus thing aswell.

BernRod
08.29.2012 , 02:05 PM | #1174
Quote: Originally Posted by Leeaustin View Post
If U wanna see what free to play does to a game check out STO (Star trek online) when we were paying there were talk about more content etc.

As so as f2p came everything stopped and it turned into a store game i.e go to the ingame shop use real money to by crap for the game.

They have just brought out season 6 with guild starbases and 54 new ships, thats about all f2p does.

As so as people stop paying the developers don't have a reason to keep making content.

I bet you that when F2P hits no more content or it will take for ever to get anything!!!!!!

Disappointed
I agree. That was my first MMO and I now jumped ship to SWTOR. F2P came allot sooner for SWTOR than STO. I bought a lifetime account for STO.....glad SWTOR didn't offer one. STO feels like a store to me now even though most of it is still free.

On a side note. The planet missions are way more funner in SWTOR. But the ship battles and space missions are much better in STO than the roller coaster ride you get in SWTOR.

Oh and one more thing. STO is now owned by the Chinese.
"Yo ho ho Joe"

Griffinous
08.29.2012 , 02:25 PM | #1175
Quote: Originally Posted by Andryah View Post
The closed minded toward a move to Freemium models for MMOs are simply ignoring the market data.

One simple summarized example of market data (there are many if you actually care to seek and understand):

http://www.rpgreporter.com/2012/07/1...nues-increase/

If WoW launched today, in this marketplace, it is extremely likely they would not only see the attrition curves that SWTOR and Rift (yes folks both games have almost identical subscription attrition curves since launch) but that Blizzard would also pursue a Freemium model early in the life of the game, if not at launch. The only thing that insulates WoW from the market forces right now is the "invested player base". By invested player base I mean the large number of players with years of time and progress invested into the game who simply won't abandon it. They do sub/unsub with each expansion cycle though.

Further, WoW could still succumb to pressure to convert to Freemium. Setting aside their Asian accounts (which number ~ 6-7M and never were subscriptions, they are token based pay-2-access) the US/EU subscriber based has suffered 2M losses over the last 12 months (which is ~ 40% of their paid subscription base). Once their panda expansion cycles the subscriber base, then the real pressure for them begins.
This is the only person who has actually spoken sense, and backed it up with factual figures.
Watercooled i7 2600k @5ghz, Asus Maximus IV Extreme Z with watercooled chipset, 16gb DDR3, Watercooled 4gb AMD Radeon HD6990, Creative X-Fi Champion Kingston Hyper X 256gb SSD 3x 23" LED monitors @ 5760x1080

Barbarola
08.29.2012 , 07:18 PM | #1176
if everyone would stop thinking about the negatives and look towards the positives a lot of good will come from this

LogicalPremise
08.29.2012 , 07:27 PM | #1177
Quote: Originally Posted by Barbarola View Post
if everyone would stop thinking about the negatives and look towards the positives a lot of good will come from this

And you're basing that on what?

If Bioware makes Promise X and doesn't keep it, Promise Y and doens't keep it, Promise Z and doesn't keep it, you imply I should keep paying cash money and hope they will suddenly change?

Past behavior is the best predictor of future action. In order to restore faith, Bioware , not the community, has to take the first real hard steps. THEN what you say will have some actual traction.
Majynn, L55 Sorc - The Society - Harbinger
Garadan, L55 Jugg- Dark Void - Harbinger
Vongrath, L35 Op- Dark Void - Harbinger

LogicalPremise
08.29.2012 , 07:28 PM | #1178
Quote: Originally Posted by BernRod View Post
I agree. That was my first MMO and I now jumped ship to SWTOR. F2P came allot sooner for SWTOR than STO. I bought a lifetime account for STO.....glad SWTOR didn't offer one. STO feels like a store to me now even though most of it is still free.

On a side note. The planet missions are way more funner in SWTOR. But the ship battles and space missions are much better in STO than the roller coaster ride you get in SWTOR.

Oh and one more thing. STO is now owned by the Chinese.
STO at least communicated the F2P transition well, didn't they? They even changed their crazy plans to charge everyone for new ships at every level.

Barbarola
08.30.2012 , 05:47 AM | #1179
Quote: Originally Posted by LogicalPremise View Post
And you're basing that on what?

If Bioware makes Promise X and doesn't keep it, Promise Y and doens't keep it, Promise Z and doesn't keep it, you imply I should keep paying cash money and hope they will suddenly change?

Past behavior is the best predictor of future action. In order to restore faith, Bioware , not the community, has to take the first real hard steps. THEN what you say will have some actual traction.
there you go thinking about the negatives, without faith we have nothing. that i base on everything that has happened in America's history and my own personal experiences as a player. i am a full blooded loyal Bioware player, in case you forgot it's Electronic Arts that's causing all this trouble. Bioware is just in the crossfire because of that stupid merger. Electronic Arts lost my loyalty ages ago, i only play this game for myself, for being a Star Wars fan and for Bioware.

LogicalPremise
08.30.2012 , 06:22 PM | #1180
Quote: Originally Posted by Barbarola View Post
there you go thinking about the negatives, without faith we have nothing. that i base on everything that has happened in America's history and my own personal experiences as a player. i am a full blooded loyal Bioware player, in case you forgot it's Electronic Arts that's causing all this trouble. Bioware is just in the crossfire because of that stupid merger. Electronic Arts lost my loyalty ages ago, i only play this game for myself, for being a Star Wars fan and for Bioware.

You misapprehend my point.
If you review my post history you'll find I was very, very positive about this game at the start and for a long time after launch, despite personal issues with how some things turned out. But my loyalty to any company is strictly bounded by how honest and open they are in communication, and how capable they are at following through on their promises so my money has value.

Bioware -- not EA , mind you, but BIOWARE -- has done neither. Has EA made tremendously stupid mistakes, yes, and I don't hold the development team to blame for that. However, I refuse to let them off the hook -- much less have any faith in them -- as long as they maintain this faux assumption that all of the statements made by them aren't going to be held up to scrutiny, that they can imply they listen heavily to player feedback and yet the most contientious issues are not addressed, and most importantly, that they have any control over where the ride is going.

If Bioware can't leverage it's team members and skill set to convince EA management to let them fix this thing, why would I continue to have faith? I was disappointed with DA2. I was disappointed with ME3. I was disappointed with no follow up to Jade Empire. I was not highly impressed with the way SWTOR has addressed bugs and the whole F2P thing.

No one is saying F2P is the end of the world, but if other companies have managed this transition with more transparency and player involvement and a better, clearer model, why can't Bioware? And if they can't, why *must* I have faith in them?

As far as having faith based on the "history of America", sorry, but descended from Seminoles , Apaches, and slaves here. My view on that is probably a touch darker than yours.