Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

The Dwindling Dev Tracker

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

JimG's Avatar


JimG
08.29.2012 , 01:51 PM | #71
Quote: Originally Posted by iamthehoyden View Post
It's quite nice that you're content with this level of communication. I am not. As such, I will advocate for increased levels until I am either satisfied with it or am so frustrated that I give up this game that I enjoy so much. The fact that you are easily pacified is not my concern.
Why do people think their are entitled to constant communication in every form possible? If you have questions, send in an email. Whenever I've had issues with the game, I've emailed them and gotten prompt responses. This is a video game, not a babysitting service. They don't need to hold our hands and constantly "talk" to us to re-assure us.

Tatile's Avatar


Tatile
08.29.2012 , 01:54 PM | #72
Unfortunately the CSR Droids who handle in-game support are not in a position to discuss future content with the players, whether it be story content, PvE or PvP. To a large extent they aren't allowed to discuss current content either. Their stock response is to post queries of such nature on the official forum, therefore making this something that EA/Bioware actively encourage.

This is not about an overblown sense of entitlement. This is about upholding Bioware to a standard that it itself has set and yet in part failed to keep to.

Also, private email responses are nice, but they are not available to the community at large unless the receiver wishes to publish the email correspondence. By posting questions for the developers on the Official forums, one endeavours to make the response available to the community automatically.

Kubernetic's Avatar


Kubernetic
08.29.2012 , 02:14 PM | #73
Quote: Originally Posted by Tatile View Post
Unfortunately the CSR Droids who handle in-game support are not in a position to discuss future content with the players, whether it be story content, PvE or PvP. To a large extent they aren't allowed to discuss current content either. Their stock response is to post queries of such nature on the official forum, therefore making this something that EA/Bioware actively encourage.

This is not about an overblown sense of entitlement. This is about upholding Bioware to a standard that it itself has set and yet in part failed to keep to.

Also, private email responses are nice, but they are not available to the community at large unless the receiver wishes to publish the email correspondence. By posting questions for the developers on the Official forums, one endeavours to make the response available to the community automatically.
So, let's hear from you.

What is your threshold number of posts per day that you need to see in the Dev Tracker before you accept that they're communicating enough?
Tekay —— En-ki —— Tιkay —— Hassle —— Jaksen
Explorer (80%) • Killer (53%) • Socializer (47%) • Achiever (20%)
Excited Star Citizen — But ready to resubscribe when and if...

HoldenThunk's Avatar


HoldenThunk
08.29.2012 , 02:18 PM | #74
Quote: Originally Posted by iamthehoyden View Post
You know, I was starting to wonder if I should maintain this list or not, but then I noticed today that the Dev Tracker has 1 page. Everything else has been deleted.
The dev tracker returns an arbitrary number of pages every time, probably as many as it finds within a specific time frame. If you manually page it forward (i.e., append "?page=x" to the URL), it works. For example, ?page=42 currently takes you back to dev posts from April.

Obviously I can't authoritatively say whether any dev posts have been deleted, but I can say that a significant majority are definitely still there. It's just that the dev post auto-searcher is decidedly odd.

iamthehoyden's Avatar


iamthehoyden
08.29.2012 , 02:26 PM | #75
Quote: Originally Posted by JimG View Post
Why do people think their are entitled to constant communication in every form possible? If you have questions, send in an email. Whenever I've had issues with the game, I've emailed them and gotten prompt responses. This is a video game, not a babysitting service. They don't need to hold our hands and constantly "talk" to us to re-assure us.
Why do I want communication? Ok, let's discuss.

You're quite right that this is a video game. This, however, is not a buy-once-and-be-done video game, but rather a subscription based service. Whether I purchase continuing service is dependent on whether I currently enjoy the game and whether I think the game will continue to be worth my money. I currently enjoy the game, but the way I decide whether it will be enjoyable in the future is by checking the website, these forums, etc. for word on what's coming and when. When there is sparse communication about what and when then I am disinclined to continue to pay money to a service that 1) seems to have no clear direction and 2) had SAID they were going to communicate more (Allison just reiterated that) and yet we see an average of 4 posts per day (most of which have no significant information) which, in my opinion, is insufficient.

Now, your opinion on what is sufficient communication is obviously different from mine. Great, fabulous, wonderful. So what? How is my request for more communication a problem for you?

I'm frustrated. I've been playing since December. I like this game quite a lot, but when things are obviously in flux, it makes it difficult to have any confidence in their ability to produce something I will want to play. I appreciate Allison's answer on why the Dev Tracker was at one page. Those clarifications help a good deal. But when you look at the questions that have not been answered for MONTHS (when will paid transfers be implimented, when will people be forced off their low-pop servers, are SGRAs still in development) and items such as whether the Makeb patch will be free or charged for subscribers...well, I would like to see some answers.

And Kubernetic, I'd like to see somewhere in the realm of a dozen per day. I'd prefer quality over quantity, but if they're not going to give us quality then they'd do well to make up for it with quantity.
aren't you a little short for a stormtrooper?
---------------
Fan Fiction: My Name is Solomon Crae The Man in the Box

Kubernetic's Avatar


Kubernetic
08.29.2012 , 02:27 PM | #76
Quote: Originally Posted by HoldenThunk View Post
The dev tracker returns an arbitrary number of pages every time, probably as many as it finds within a specific time frame. If you manually page it forward (i.e., append "?page=x" to the URL), it works. For example, ?page=42 currently takes you back to dev posts from April.

Obviously I can't authoritatively say whether any dev posts have been deleted, but I can say that a significant majority are definitely still there. It's just that the dev post auto-searcher is decidedly odd.
You, sir or madam, are an investigative, curious soul, and your refreshing resourcefulness gives me great hope for the gaming community.

An excellent find...

So it's there, and it's just a page rendering bug that isn't presenting us the navigation links to page back and forth.

Nothing is being hidden. The tinfoil hats may now be removed for improved comfort.
Tekay —— En-ki —— Tιkay —— Hassle —— Jaksen
Explorer (80%) • Killer (53%) • Socializer (47%) • Achiever (20%)
Excited Star Citizen — But ready to resubscribe when and if...

Urael's Avatar


Urael
08.29.2012 , 02:29 PM | #77
Quote: Originally Posted by Kubernetic View Post
You, sir or madam, are an investigative, curious soul, and your refreshing resourcefulness gives me great hope for the gaming community.

An excellent find...

So it's there, and it's just a page rendering bug that isn't presenting us the navigation links to page back and forth.

Nothing is being hidden. The tinfoil hats may now be removed for improved comfort.
I think this behavior became the norm with the new format of the dev tacker since the forum reskin. Sometimes the search function pages bug like this.

JovethGonzalez's Avatar


JovethGonzalez
08.29.2012 , 02:30 PM | #78 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Quote: Originally Posted by Tatile View Post
Thank you Ms. Berryman, I was unaware that the Dev Tracker had such an interesting... feature. While you are here, it would be interesting to have your views on Hoyden's work compiling this list and how you think the numbers actually reflect your promise to increase communication.
Quote: Originally Posted by AllisonBerryman View Post
The forums are one part of our plans, and so far we've definitely been increasing efforts to get responses to questions we see on the forums that we're able to answer. There are still questions that are important to the community that we do not have answers for yet, but, just like we've done with the forums, we're making efforts to get answers to those questions through, and we're making strong efforts internally to continue to escalate feedback and concerns from the community. You'll continue to see answers to questions on the forums, and we have more to come.
While we appreciate all kinds of constructive feedback, as Allison pointed out, the forums are only one small measure of communication. Do keep in mind that while some days it seems that there isn't any forum activity from us, we're busy hopping around, taking a look at the SWTOR subreddit, Twitter, Facebook, and responding to PMs.

Consider that our fanbase is large and spread across various social media sites, and you can see that we strive to make sure that they are covered, no matter where our fans are.

We're also working on some new community blogs that we'll be posting in the upcoming week or so, in addition to our standard weekly blogs that we already put up.

Finally, while this team is highly visible, a lot of what we do is internal: responding to developer requests for feedback, moderating the forums, writing patch notes, working with localization, sending various documents & ideas for approvals, working with marketing, maintaining relationships with fan sites & guilds, attending game development meetings, escalating issues, following up on bugs, and much, much more.

In short, measuring the number of gold posts every day is not the best indicator of our overall activity. You're welcome to continue to do so, but know that every day we are working with our developers to respond to your questions here on the forums, which results in about 5-10 developer responses even during a light news week.

If anything, measure against what we had before we started our increase in communication on August 8th. I guarantee that you will see a difference.

Stay tuned for the new blogs, which we'll be debuting starting tomorrow.

As always, thanks for taking an interest in this. Constructive feedback is always welcome and we'll definitely adjust our strategies when there is a need .

Tatile's Avatar


Tatile
08.29.2012 , 02:32 PM | #79
Quote: Originally Posted by Kubernetic View Post
So, let's hear from you.

What is your threshold number of posts per day that you need to see in the Dev Tracker before you accept that they're communicating enough?
Ok, you have a point, this isn't entirely about numbers, it's about substance. As much as I'd like to see us hitting the high 20's with developer responses, it would all be for naught if those responses are merely just more of the same "Soon™" we've been receiving.

I'd like to see named members of the community team responding in the SGRA thread. Just one at the moment would be enough. Ideally I'd like to see them getting involved in the discussions and conversations that happen on these boards, but, as evidenced by Ms. Berryman's posting here, there isn't the time for that.

To me, posts that say "We're aware of this" or "We like this" aren't what I would consider 'good' communication. Yes, it is a form of communication, but then so is a temper tantrum two year old. Ms. Berryman specifically came into this thread to tell us how the developer tracker works and what kinks it has. That I appreciate. Ms. Berryman's second post helps to alleviate some concerns that I had about the future of their communication via the forums.

Developer posts aren't all encompassing when it comes to communication. I would like to see patch notes posted on the site ahead of deployment - even if the patch isn't being run on the PTS (our little x.x.# patches, for example). I would like to see the developers discussing the reasons behind their changes when they do class or other mechanics adjustments. Obviously this takes more time, but the information to create such articles must already exist, it's merely formatting it.

I realise that people get angry about release dates and those being missed, but I feel that some of that tension could be avoided if we are kept informed about why changes and delays are happening. Something like "we aren't happy with how some features are working out" or "we ran into some unexpected coding issues" maybe even a simple thing like a window broke and now the kitchen is flooded so half the electrics had to be turned off for a day and that put a kink in production. People are getting annoyed because we have a lack of detail, a lack of insight.

Vandicus's Avatar


Vandicus
08.29.2012 , 02:32 PM | #80
Quote: Originally Posted by iamthehoyden View Post

I'm frustrated. I've been playing since December. I like this game quite a lot, but when things are obviously in flux, it makes it difficult to have any confidence in their ability to produce something I will want to play. I appreciate Allison's answer on why the Dev Tracker was at one page. Those clarifications help a good deal. But when you look at the questions that have not been answered for MONTHS (when will paid transfers be implimented, when will people be forced off their low-pop servers, are SGRAs still in development) and items such as whether the Makeb patch will be free or charged for subscribers...well, I would like to see some answers.

And Kubernetic, I'd like to see somewhere in the realm of a dozen per day. I'd prefer quality over quantity, but if they're not going to give us quality then they'd do well to make up for it with quantity.
To your last part there about a dozen per day, I've noticed the devs don't usually answer the same question more than two or three times, and we rarely have even half that many unique/original thread questions each day.

Regarding the questions you mentioned, I believe all three have directly or indirectly been answered by dev posts already. Forced mergers are allegedly happening by the end of summer(Sept 21), I believe SGRAs was stated as "in development"(which in their lingo is closer to release than "planned", but farther away from release than "soon") and paid transfers are coming at an unspecified time after the forced server merges. Last known answer on Makeb(which wasn't actually too long ago) was that they haven't decided whether or not to charge for it(from an interview). Sorry if I'm wrong on any of these, my memory isn't as fresh regarding these topics and their dev posts as it is on some others.
Darasuum kote ner vode!
Darasuum kote Mando'ade!