Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Any recent news on Dueling in Non-Dueling areas?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Any recent news on Dueling in Non-Dueling areas?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

FourTwent
08.24.2012 , 04:12 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Blackavaar View Post
No, they don't. They just need to continue limiting dueling to dueling areas, like they already do.

And they can't just get a new engine without having to rebuild the entire game from scratch, so get used to it.

plenty of other games out there. one even launches tonight. so i dont have to get used to anything kid.

i just found it very funny that 'lag' was the accepted reason as to why dueling isn't allowed on the fleet. and when they actually do allow it, im sure they'll do it the 'bioware way' and put it on one of the 2 connected space stations. . .but not the actual fleet where people congregate at.

Blackavaar
08.24.2012 , 04:20 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by FourTwent View Post
plenty of other games out there. one even launches tonight. so i dont have to get used to anything kid.

i just found it very funny that 'lag' was the accepted reason as to why dueling isn't allowed on the fleet. and when they actually do allow it, im sure they'll do it the 'bioware way' and put it on one of the 2 connected space stations. . .but not the actual fleet where people congregate at.
Kid? I'm probably older than you, bub.

And BTW, dueling is already available on the lower levels of fleet (the Drommund Kaas / Coruscant shuttle bays and the Mission Departures area). There is no reason to add it to the connecting flagships or anywhere else.

Only the meek get pinched. The bold survive.(███████████████████████████████████║║█[Θ]█]◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙[█]

AllisonBerryman
08.28.2012 , 02:24 PM | #23 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
I talked to Jesse Sky (Lead Flashpoints and Operations Designer) and Damion Schubert (Principal Lead Systems Designer) about duels in current non-dueling areas, and have some information for you!

Currently, dueling is disabled in the main areas of the Fleets partially because it can have a negative impact on performance in those areas and partially because it can be an unwelcome distraction to other players. This is something we may be able to address in the future, and we appreciate your ideas, but changing it isn't something that will happen in the immediate future.

Glower
08.28.2012 , 02:42 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by AllisonBerryman View Post

Currently, dueling is disabled in the main areas of the Fleets partially because it can have a negative impact on performance in those areas and partially because it can be an unwelcome distraction to other players.

So, cascading effects (boom > boom > bOOOm > lighing > BooMMM > BEAM etc) don't slow down server and don't distract players? Very interesting ...

Just allocate a small PVP area in the Fleet around Combat Training and all will be happy. It is so hard?
SWTOR goes F2P: http://i.imgur.com/1962X.jpg
A: "They’d love to do that at some point, but technically very challenging and unlikely to happen in the near future." (c)
PvP FAQ, A: "We have no plans at this time" (c)

irishtim
08.28.2012 , 03:15 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Glower View Post
Just allocate a small PVP area in the Fleet around Combat Training and all will be happy. It is so hard?
The problem with putting it in the combat training area is that a lot of people hang around there and could slow the framerate of the area down if a lot of people duel there. I would suggest putting a 'duelling pit' on the Ziost Shadow/Rep equivalent.

That way the duelling area is out of the way enough to not affect the main fleet population's performance, but is also only a 20 sec travel (with no loading screen) from the main area.

DuckKing
08.28.2012 , 03:22 PM | #26
I talked to Jesse Sky (Lead Flashpoints and Operations Designer) and Damion Shcubert (Principal Lead Systems Designer) about duels in current non-dueling areas, and have some information for you!

Currently, dueling is disabled in the main areas of the Fleets partially because it can have a negative impact on performance in those areas and partially because it can be an unwelcome distraction to other players. This is something we may be able to address in the future, and we appreciate your ideas, but changing it isn't something that will happen in the immediate future.
Appreciate the response, hopefully there will be plans to add a small area or section were competitive players like myself can have something fun to do to kill some time.

In other MMO's, I can lose myself upon hours and hours just dueling different people!

It's all good fun and even more fun watching someones high ego go down the toilet when they lose to someone unexpectedly under-geared than they are.

LibertySol
08.28.2012 , 04:02 PM | #27
Most in this thread are sort of failing at understanding how dueling should be done. If its put in some out of the way place theres less traffic. In games like WoW (from what I remember its been a while) people dueled outside the main city of their respective faction. But since the fleet is all instanced it doesn't work in TOR.

MajikMyst
08.28.2012 , 04:19 PM | #28
I talked to Jesse Sky (Lead Flashpoints and Operations Designer) and Damion Shcubert (Principal Lead Systems Designer) about duels in current non-dueling areas, and have some information for you!

Then perhaps a dueling area can be made on the Gav or the Telos?? Or a dueling level can be added to the fleet station.. In either case we need an area that allows dueling.. Not reasons why we can't have one.. If I can come up with viable solutions.. Then so can Bioware.. Just saying..
Who is the more foolish? The fool or the fool that follows him?

[.] Lost but never forgotten!! 12-01-2011 R.I.P.

Blaac
08.28.2012 , 04:20 PM | #29
Add dueling around the training dummies. Combat is already expected there, and it makes it so players dont have to fly off planet to have some fun.
~KNOWLEDGE IS POWER AND TRUE SITH DO NOT SHARE POWER~

Avorniel
08.29.2012 , 01:36 AM | #30
it's simple disable all the speeders as they are really annoying esp the big ones and they get parked on the npc sellers,then make the VIP lounge a pvp arena as it's Hadley used anyway.Most RP I have seen on The Prog. is done in the lower section and just move the CE seller.

Sorted