Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Same gender relationships clarifications?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Same gender relationships clarifications?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Fortunefive
08.27.2012 , 01:55 PM | #1011
Quote: Originally Posted by Uluain View Post
To summarize:
  • We were told that, as of last September, same-gender companion romances will be included in the game as "post-launch" content.
  • We know it will most likely be presented in the same way as existing romantic content, with a visibly marked option which one may choose or not.
  • We are told this content is coming "this year".

/snip.
IIRC they actually said "IF" they were going to add this feature it would be a "post-launch" feature.
I don't think they ever said ",,, It will be in, and before this time...." I could be completely wrong, but I doubt it.

theStirge
08.27.2012 , 01:57 PM | #1012
In this instance you are completely wrong. They said multiple times that SGR's were definitely coming, and at least once that they could be expected before the end of 2012. At the time, no ifs, ands, or buts.
The n'Sappho Legacy, The Harbinger
Zel'eena, 55 Combat Sentinel
Eleeta, 55 Medic Operative; Fer'eerra, 55 Lightning Sorcerer
All Chiss, all the time, all day, forever.

Fortunefive
08.27.2012 , 02:03 PM | #1013
Quote: Originally Posted by theStirge View Post
In this instance you are completely wrong. They said multiple times that SGR's were definitely coming, and at least once that they could be expected before the end of 2012. At the time, no ifs, ands, or buts.
I keep a fairly close eye on the developer tracker, and I don't remember ever reading that. Unless it was said during an interview at a guild event or gaming convention somewhere, I honestly don't believe it. Unless you can point me to a post where they actually confirmed it?

TBH I am not for or against it. marriage/romance in this game has absolutely no point in this game as it stands so IMHO there might as well not even be a romance option in this game anyway. I will admit there are people who might care. This is just my opinion.

losdia
08.27.2012 , 02:29 PM | #1014
Quote: Originally Posted by Fortunefive View Post
I keep a fairly close eye on the developer tracker, and I don't remember ever reading that. Unless it was said during an interview at a guild event or gaming convention somewhere, I honestly don't believe it. Unless you can point me to a post where they actually confirmed it?
Yeah, the thing is they go out of their way to make sure any official comments about this don't show up the dev tracker. Read through some of the back post on this thread and check out the FAQ here.
"Say, Mike... Did we just do something horribly wrong?"
"Yeah, I think so."
-MST3K, Invasion USA

Uluain
08.27.2012 , 02:41 PM | #1015
IIRC they actually said "IF" they were going to add this feature it would be a "post-launch" feature.
I don't think they ever said ",,, It will be in, and before this time...." I could be completely wrong, but I doubt it.
Clarifying these ideas is a big reason why this thread is here, so let me lay out the low-down on these points.

The word that this really would be in game, but would be post-launch, came from then Community Manager Stephen Reid, last September 13. That was on the pre-launch forums, however, and the original post can no longer be retrieved. It is quoted in the third post on the front page of this thread, however.

The word that we could expect same-gender content this year came from a developer panel discussion at the Guild Summit, held in Austin last March. By Wednesday of next week, that will have been six months ago.

I really do appreciate you commenting in this thread even though this isn't something you care about either way. It is a good reminder that not everyone has the facts we've gathered on the issue, and that we should revisit them occasionally. New players do still come to the game every day, and some will want to know.

Player concern for this issue might be more apparent were this thread in a more heavily trafficked area of the forums, or if we were permitted discussion in multiple threads. To keep the lid on the pot, however, discussion only happens here, except when once in a while someone opens a thread on General which the Community Team can redirect to this one.

The Community Team has worked very hard over the eight months that this thread has been running to keep discussion civil and on topic, but the only response we have had over those eight months from the Community Team has been that they have no new information on it, that we should keep posting here and that they will certainly let us know as soon as they have anything to tell us.

Oddly, such responses are not posted in this thread, but either in locked threads where it appears under the non-tracked CommunitySupport alias, or else via PM to particular forum members who won't shut up about this, like myself. It is why I asked about a hypothetical gag rule in my bullet point summary above. Same-gender content is never addressed in a way that the Developer Tracker will track. We don't know why.

Baptes
08.27.2012 , 03:17 PM | #1016
Quote: Originally Posted by Uluain View Post
Clarifying these ideas is a big reason why this thread is here, so let me lay out the low-down on these points.

The word that this really would be in game, but would be post-launch, came from then Community Manager Stephen Reid, last September 13. That was on the pre-launch forums, however, and the original post can no longer be retrieved. It is quoted in the third post on the front page of this thread, however.

The word that we could expect same-gender content this year came from a developer panel discussion at the Guild Summit, held in Austin last March. By Wednesday of next week, that will have been six months ago.

I really do appreciate you commenting in this thread even though this isn't something you care about either way. It is a good reminder that not everyone has the facts we've gathered on the issue, and that we should revisit them occasionally. New players do still come to the game every day, and some will want to know.

Player concern for this issue might be more apparent were this thread in a more heavily trafficked area of the forums, or if we were permitted discussion in multiple threads. To keep the lid on the pot, however, discussion only happens here, except when once in a while someone opens a thread on General which the Community Team can redirect to this one.

Only word we have had from the Community Team has been that they have no new information on it, that we should keep posting here and that they will certainly let us know as soon as they have anything to tell us.

Oddly, such responses are not posted in this thread, but either in locked threads where it appears under the non-tracked CommunitySupport alias, or else via PM to particular forum members who won't shut up about this, like myself. It is why I asked about a hypothetical gag rule in my bullet point summary above. Same-gender content is never addressed in a way that the Developer Tracker will track. We don't know why.
It's kind of like the SWTOR forums are that guy. You know the one that claims to be your friend, just don't talk to them in public. Better yet pretend you don't know them. But hey we're still buddies right?

The lengths they go to avoid/misdirect/ignore/we're still buddies, just don't talk to us where anyone can see us has gotten pretty grating at this point.

They will keep people updated on Hood Toggles, Big Butt Jedi Robes, and Adding HM to Space Combat! (cause according to their metrics guy, almost half the players ran at least one space combat mission this month! Players must love space combat! derp). But we try and get any new info from the places where everything else is discussed, we are shut down fast.

SGRA is the red headed stepchild of SWTOR, and stashing everything on one thread in an obscure board that gets little traffic with no news for months on something that was expected to be in soon after launch (If I'm recalling what one of the devs said correctly. Maybe I was inferring too much from the "We just didn't have time to get it in before launch. It'll be there soon." statement), leaves me with a real pissy feeling. And the fact that if they just came out and said something officially (which would alleviate some pissyness), yet refuse to do so makes me even more irksome!

Good lord people! Buck up and have the intestinal fortitude to make an official post! Either yay or nay!

All you get with silence is A: People think its not gonna happen and possibly leave, or B: People get tired of waiting and possibly leave.

Get it together, silence on a subject important to a goodly number of people at a time when your subs are bleeding wasn't a good idea. Staying silent after using you F2P card is just MMO suicide.

Uluain
08.27.2012 , 03:56 PM | #1017
I don't think that the Community Team is being devious out of malice. To me, this has all the earmarks of some kind of ill-conceived policy decision aimed, at my best guess, at containing controversy and limiting the amount of hateful remarks needing to be cleaned up.

After all, we have gotten updates recently - albeit of the "sorry, nothing new to tell you" variety. True, they have come through bizarre and labyrinthine paths, but the Community Team has gotten them to us.

But I do agree with you that this separate and inequal treatment of same-gender content discussion is rather unfortunate in the impression it conveys. So is the continued absence of any same-gender content from the actual game.

Tatile
08.27.2012 , 04:35 PM | #1018
I realise this is "only" a game, but would any equal rights groups be interested in the nature of this treatment? There is nothing we can do as players at this point - perhaps involving a third party may be a possibility.

(Staying out of the thread now, honest. I mean it this time.)

Uluain
08.27.2012 , 04:50 PM | #1019
Quote: Originally Posted by Tatile View Post
I realise this is "only" a game, but would any equal rights groups be interested in the nature of this treatment? There is nothing we can do as players at this point - perhaps involving a third party may be a possibility.

(Staying out of the thread now, honest. I mean it this time.)
Yes, it is a possibility. I would have to do some research, however, about which groups concern themselves with portrayals in entertainment media. EA has received awards and recognition for employment policies from the HRC and others, but this is something different.

I do think it is overkill, however, unless EA/BioWare renege on their commitment to same-gender inclusion. If that happens, I think the shame game might be in order.

To bring this back to topic, however, all of this would be moot if we could get a "yes, we still mean this; yes, it is still coming," regardless of whether or not the timeframe has changed.

I don't think word on that scale is too much to ask or to expect. I would like my bullet point questions to be addressed in full, but do see that may not be possible and is certainly unlikely.

It is not like we have had much luck with information to date.

Landerk
08.28.2012 , 02:13 AM | #1020

TBH I am not for or against it. marriage/romance in this game has absolutely no point in this game as it stands so IMHO there might as well not even be a romance option in this game anyway. I will admit there are people who might care. This is just my opinion.
Dont know if you read it or not, but on page one of this thread you can read the official que up from BioWare, and in a thread he refrenced it will answer your question of if

And for the record I am FOR the addition of SGRA, would be awsome if I could romance Nadia Grell, but I think its pretty unlikely that companions currently in game will be romancable, if I missed a post that confirmed this for sure them I am sorry, but from what I have read on various posts I think only the new companions will be SGRAble. I dont often hope I am wrong, but this time I do