Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Cash Shop Purchases: Account Wide or Single Character only?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Cash Shop Purchases: Account Wide or Single Character only?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

HarleysRule
08.23.2012 , 01:13 PM | #21
I'll bet the vast, vast majority of cash shop items will be single character only, and the only exceptions will be content unlocks, character slots, and the like.

Sweetiepies
08.23.2012 , 01:39 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Styxx View Post
Wrong. Everything ingame is IP owned by various parties. It is the same case for one weapon even if it is bought with one credit ingame or one dollar in cash shop. The weapon itself is owned by EA and you only "rent" it. They have precisely the SAME right to limit access to it, regardless of how you purchased it.

It would be a bad bussiness decision, but ultimately legal.

Again, I am not a lawyer nor do I believe I need to be one while I am playing a game. Between 2 payment options, I am restricted access to what I see as "mine". End of story. I have nothing against having access restricted to any content, past, present or future. So, yes, to all "old" players, they ARE forced to keep a sub to keep access to their stuff. Which is, what I said, greed:
I had another reasonable response all typed out, but really whats the point. After re-reading your "responses", it is clear you just want to rage against the machine; evil greed and all that. So let's bring it down a notch, just to stay friendly.
Sure is nice to have some weather that isn't over 95 degrees here. How about you?

DarthVengeant
08.23.2012 , 01:47 PM | #23
I already paid for the game, plus 15 bucks a month. I wont pay for anything more. It's all just spitting in our faces.

Kaze-Yama
08.23.2012 , 02:18 PM | #24
Personally there should be options. I honestly wouldn't mind if certain items they gave 2 options either for a single character or you could buy it for your entire legacy for a bit more money. If a speeder cost $5 for one character and lets say $7 or even $10 for all your characters I imagine many people would shell out for the $10 dollar option.

I imagine Bioware can easily change these things if they see they are not making any money.

ZakMan
08.23.2012 , 04:24 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Kaze-Yama View Post
Personally there should be options. I honestly wouldn't mind if certain items they gave 2 options either for a single character or you could buy it for your entire legacy for a bit more money. If a speeder cost $5 for one character and lets say $7 or even $10 for all your characters I imagine many people would shell out for the $10 dollar option.

I imagine Bioware can easily change these things if they see they are not making any money.
Hmmmm, that makes sense, it would also be useful to the players who are only leveling one character, which is probably what a lot of FTP-ers will be doing with their limited character slots.

Evensong
08.23.2012 , 04:38 PM | #26
EQ2 cash shop sells stuff per character. Same in LOTRO I think. It does not mean that BioWare will do something different though, considering Legacy.
Deep in the human unconscious is a pervasive need for a logical universe that makes sense. But the real universe is always one step beyond logic.

CorellianWannabe
08.23.2012 , 04:48 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by Iggster View Post
I would like to see legacy wide stuff but I won't hold my breath. They may start the shop out as single character content then change it legacy wide if sales are low. Or vice versa if sales are high.

I hate to bash EA all the time but we all know what they are like. In EA's eyes if I buy a legacy wide bit of content it's one sale. If I buy content for my main then alt it's two sales. EA and investors are happier with the latter.
Who's to say freebie players will get to have a legacy at all? Won't character slots be limited to 1, maybe 2?

DamionSchubert
08.27.2012 , 09:25 AM | #28 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
Whether or not we sell something as a character vs. account unlock will depend on what makes sense for the selected item and/or unlock -- some will be character-based, whereas some will be account-based. Items that are character-based will, in most cases, be transferable to other characters in your legacy. In the case of certain unlocks where it makes sense, we are also looking to allow players to choose -- pay a small fee to unlock a feature for one character, or pay a slightly higher fee to unlock it for all characters on the account. Hopefully, this will allow players to tailor the experience to their own play style.

Styxx
08.27.2012 , 09:34 AM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by DamionSchubert View Post
Whether or not we sell something as a character vs. account unlock will depend on what makes sense for the selected item and/or unlock -- some will be character-based, whereas some will be account-based. Items that are character-based will, in most cases, be transferable to other characters in your legacy. In the case of certain unlocks where it makes sense, we are also looking to allow players to choose -- pay a small fee to unlock a feature for one character, or pay a slightly higher fee to unlock it for all characters on the account. Hopefully, this will allow players to tailor the experience to their own play style.
Will HK-51 be a Cash Shop companion, or will it be as originally said, some big Quest, needing chars on both sides?
Quote: Originally Posted by John Riccitiello View Post
When you are six hours into playing Battlefield and you run out of ammo in your clip, and we ask you for a dollar to reload, you're really not very price sensitive at that point in time...We're not gouging, but we're charging.

Goretzu
08.27.2012 , 09:36 AM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by ZakMan View Post
Any Devs patrolling the forums care to answer this?

Or do any forum posters know the answer with evidence to back it up?

It would depend I guess.

Maybe pets and such would be account.

Where as gear, buffs, unlocks and such per character?
Real Star Wars space combat please, not Star Wars Fox! Maybe some PvP and flight too?
Goretzu's Law: As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving "Entitled" approaches 1