Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Endgame loot musings

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

theblaznee
08.27.2012 , 01:43 AM | #1
It's been up as a topic before, but with the new style of "more communication" from the devs I thought I'd bring it up again and cross my fingers for a real response.

So the endgame loot stats seems to be a little "odd" to say the least.. Tons of accuracy and Endurance for classes not needing it, less main stats swapped for crit and surge etc..
Looking at it it could seem like the people putting stats on the gear has little idea of what the class needs, but I'm also pretty sure noone has a better idea of the internal mechanics in the game than Bioware..

This pretty much leaves 3 options.

1. The playerbase lacks the internal knowledge that Bioware does, and the stats are very carefully chosen to specifically balance (aka. help the player) progress through the next tier of endgame content. So full Rakata/BH gear is what you need to progress EC HM, Columi is designed to get you through EV/KP HM and so on. Stats are simply cherrypicked to combat the mathmatics behind each fight for each class.

2. Bioware decided to design the system so that players would ultimately need to first gear up on a certain tier of gear, and then after that hunt for Best in Slot modifications.The reason could be anything from a pure moneysink (swapping mods is huuuugely expensive), to being Biowares way of adding a carrot in the game for the more hardcore crowd.

3. Bioware managed to fubar the stat budgets from the beginning and are now dancing around diminishing returns, while still trying to give the illusion of your gear progressing.

Bonus. Somewhere deep in the Bioware dungeons, the monthly intern presses the "randomize stats" button after putting in the gear rating..

Hope to get some dev feedback on this question.

TL,DR: How does Bioware decide endgame equipment stats?
Don't mistake my silence for ignorance, my calmness for acceptance or my kindness for weakness!

Fight hard, die well!

Karasuko
08.27.2012 , 01:48 AM | #2
Its alittle of option 2 and alittle of option 3.
Most definitely not option 1.

Chaqen
08.27.2012 , 03:12 AM | #3
Have they introduced any new type of mods/armourings or enhancements with BH/campaign gear? I cant think of any to be honest.

So, i think they just tell a program what modification items to use for certain armour sets, and hit a randomize button, look over the final result okay it and be on their way. It is obvious with tier one gear they didnt give it much of a final look, or just rushed it out rather quickly. With tier 2, it is obvious that they have deselected some of the options, while keeping others, hopefully if and when they do tier 3 they will spend the time and effort to actually itemized things individually.

ROSHOLM
08.27.2012 , 08:40 AM | #4
Its clearly(or at least it seems thatway to me) number 2.

And it sort of needs to be that way. If campaign gear just came perfectly itemized there would be no point to being a bunch of professions(mod/armoring/enhancement) and about a million other reasons(why even have mods etc if youre never gonna swap anything, timesink, harder to get bis etc).

Also dont find it that expensive but I have 2 chars with slicing so :>

theblaznee
08.27.2012 , 09:51 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by ROSHOLM View Post
Its clearly(or at least it seems thatway to me) number 2.

And it sort of needs to be that way. If campaign gear just came perfectly itemized there would be no point to being a bunch of professions(mod/armoring/enhancement) and about a million other reasons(why even have mods etc if youre never gonna swap anything, timesink, harder to get bis etc).

Also dont find it that expensive but I have 2 chars with slicing so :>
I don't want it to be perfect, but it seems waaaaayyy off now..

In MY perfect world the stats would be useful, but the very best in slot stuff would come from crafters using crafting mats gathered from raids. As it is now I'm looking at getting Smuggler gear to rip out stuff for my Shadow.. That's just wrong imo!..
Don't mistake my silence for ignorance, my calmness for acceptance or my kindness for weakness!

Fight hard, die well!

CitizenFry
08.27.2012 , 11:41 AM | #6
Black Hole and Campaign gear is reasonably well itemized. Rakata gear has way, way, WAY too much accuracy.
Crafting on The Ebon Hawk. PST/mail: Blayze (rep) / K'ron (imp)
Armoring: Commando 26, Reflex 26; Barrel: Patron 26
Mod: Weighted 26+26B, Deflecting 26 Enhancement: Bulwark 26, Battle 26, Finesse 26
Ear: Black Hole Mender's MK-2 Relay

AllisonBerryman
08.28.2012 , 02:22 PM | #7 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
I talked to Jason Attard (Senior Game Balance Designer) and he was able to shed some light on modifications in endgame items and how stats are distributed.

Our goal is that a highly-skilled player can complete content without needing to swap mods on their gear, but spending the time and credits necessary to optimize the mods should still make a noticeable difference.

When we generate mods for endgame gear, we generate all the mod variants at a given item level and then run a process that combines the mods with endgame shell items to create the items needed for an Operation. This process helps us ensure that the stats are useful for Advanced Classes and roles, but it doesn't generate gear that is completely optimal for every spec. We always manually check the results and tweak items where necessary.

We have had some problems in the past with gear that stacks a single rating too much and with incorrect armorings being assigned to some items (high Endurance gear should go to tanking items, Aim/Cunning/Strength/Willpower should go into DPS and healing items), and we're continuing to refine the processes we use to make more useful gear. In future tiers, you'll see many issues with mod allocation corrected!

anakedcowboy
08.28.2012 , 03:44 PM | #8
There is also a silly amount of alacrity on Sage / Sorc gear. It either needs to have a significantly higher impact on what you do for the points or needs to be on far less pieces of gear. As a DPS sorc I basically have to buy all of the force master BH / campaign gear AND all of the Force mystic gear to max out my willpower while keeping crit at 40% and surge at 75% then working on power. I'm gearing up 2 characters to gear up one, at incredible credit expense of moving around mods / enhancements / armorings.

It's not quite as bad as the accuracy problem, but it often gets overlooked.

theblaznee
08.28.2012 , 03:46 PM | #9
Thank you for the answer.. So it's pretty much as option 2..

I was afraid it was JUST the automatic process, and that process just looooooved stacking weird stats making players run into diminishing returns or accuracy ratings of 110%

Fight hard, die well!

ArchangelLBC
08.28.2012 , 04:05 PM | #10
As long as the next tier of gear doesn't have Tank armorings in DPS gear I'll be much happier. Armorings are by far the most annoying since they're slotted and therefore a lot harder to properly itemize (though I'd heard they were thinking of removing slotted armorings in future updates).
In update 2.9 the game will simply uninstall itself for you.

-Wnd