Optimization needs to happen asap

hyuplee

I'm running an i7 2600 with a GTX 570 at 1080p everything set to highest. In 16 man operations the framerate drops to well under 30. Running gtx 570 SLI doesn't change a thing. I then created a thread in the customer support forum and finally got an answer from a CSR stating that my CPU is too weak. So yes, this game could use some significant optimizations. Edited by Frumyrfrenzy

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm running an i7 2600 with a GTX 570 at 1080p everything set to highest. In 16 man operations the framerate drops to well under 30. Running gtx 570 SLI doesn't change a thing. I then created a thread in the customer support forum and finally got an answer from a CSR stating that my CPU is too weak. So yes, this game could use some significant optimizations.

Yeah, that's exactly what's terrible with the game - in 16 man ops (or stuff like NiM Pilgrim) fps drops to ridiculous numbers. In 8 man people can spam their aoe until the end of times, but this game all of a sudden loses its stability during 16 man. I could, ofc, set lots of options to Medium or Low, but the game only looks digestible for the eyes on High, tbh.

So, please, people who brag with 60fps and beyond in ops, show some proof and post your specs or something. I really hate it when people start bragging about their 111 fps and all they do is run around Tython and stare at the wall :rolleyes: And besides, isn't it a sign that the game has terrible optimization by default if it can drop from 111 to 25 fps in a split-second?

So the other day we did Open World PvP on Voss - 50 Imps vs 50 Reps. I had less than 1 FPS. Unplayable. And otherwise the game runs smooth as butter. No wonder Open World PvP is dead.

It's not just PvP, get enough people doing a world boss and it results in the same slide-show. :(

The problem with threads like this is that people seem to have the impression that Bioware is to stupid and to broke to build some test machines with the popular specs and check performance..

I have an Intel I7 2600, Nvidia GTX 660 TI, 16 gigs ram. My resolution is 1080p, and I average about 100 FPS doing dailies and such.. 60-80 FPS while in a boss fight with 16 people.. The same for PVP warzones.. I just did Pilgram earlier tonight, the lowest I got was 40 something..

Again this is all at max settings.. So is it the game engine that I am getting good performance and someone else isn't?? I doubt it.. As I said.. I am sure they know how the engine performs on a machine like mine or many of the ones listed here..

Their game engine is on par with any other MMO that I have played.. So.. My guess is that most of the problems are people's computers.. Check drivers, add more ram, faster CPU or Video card..

Is the engine perfect?? Nope.. No engine is, and no engine ever will be.. Bottom line here though.. Ranting in a forum about how horrible Bioware's game engine is, isn't going to fix your problem.. They know how good or bad their game engine is.. I am sure they continually test it.. You want better game play?? Do something with your computer then.. :cool:

The problem with threads like this is that people seem to have the impression that Bioware is to stupid and to broke to build some test machines with the popular specs and check performance..

I have an Intel I7 2600, Nvidia GTX 660 TI, 16 gigs ram. My resolution is 1080p, and I average about 100 FPS doing dailies and such.. 60-80 FPS while in a boss fight with 16 people.. The same for PVP warzones.. I just did Pilgram earlier tonight, the lowest I got was 40 something..

Again this is all at max settings.. So is it the game engine that I am getting good performance and someone else isn't?? I doubt it.. As I said.. I am sure they know how the engine performs on a machine like mine or many of the ones listed here..

Their game engine is on par with any other MMO that I have played.. So.. My guess is that most of the problems are people's computers.. Check drivers, add more ram, faster CPU or Video card..

Is the engine perfect?? Nope.. No engine is, and no engine ever will be.. Bottom line here though.. Ranting in a forum about how horrible Bioware's game engine is, isn't going to fix your problem.. They know how good or bad their game engine is.. I am sure they continually test it.. You want better game play?? Do something with your computer then.. :cool:

As I said, post some proof you're running 40 fps minimum on Nightmare Pilgrim. And besides, you basically possess the state-of-the-art machine, it's a given fact you will have good performance. Gtx 660 ti and i7 2600k cost around 600 eur in my country. For an MMO those kinds of requirements are absolutely ridiculous. It makes me wonder what goes through your head if you think your specs are normal for an MMO to run smoothly ... It's exactly this kind of "elitism" that drove thousands away from the game.

Edited by Krewel

If you can get decent frames rate in a 40v40 open world PvP fight....... then you're not playing SWTOR (but rather some other MMORPG). That's just the sad reality. :(

That's not the same thing at all as having perfectly acceptable performance killing mobs in the middle of no where, or even PvPing in a instanced warzone with a handful of people.

Warhammer Online started out with serious engine problems, but they soon got on to optimising it, by 9 months from Live (as SWTOR is now) it was almost a new engine (performance-wise). In the end WARs engine managed to stand up to 400 v 400 fights in 1 RvR basin and then it was the server that fell over not the engine. :eek:

As I said, post some proof you're running 40 fps minimum on Nightmare Pilgrim. And besides, you basically possess the state-of-the-art machine, it's a given fact you will have good performance. Gtx 660 ti and i7 2600k cost around 600 eur in my country. For an MMO those kinds of requirements are absolutely ridiculous. It makes me wonder what goes through your head if you think your specs are normal for an MMO to run smoothly ... It's exactly this kind of "elitism" that drove thousands away from the game.

I see you missed the point of my post.. The point is that some people are just here ranting about their bad performance.. Which is fine.. But do they actually believe that Bioware doesn't test this stuff themselves?? My computer and performance is irrelevent.. People are ranting about the game engine as if Bioware doesn't seem to actually know or take the time to test things.. Any software company has a department deticated to hardware compatibility and performance.. Whenever someone reports an issue to CS, the first thing they ask for is a copy of their Direct X diag report.. This will give them system specs as well as driver information.. I am sure they have tested them all.. They would have to..

My wife's computer is a Core2 quad, Nvidia GTX 560 TI, and 8 gigs of ram.. She also gets great performance while playing this game.. Again, max settings and whatever the defualt res is for her flat panel monitor..

My point in the simplest of terms is that Bioware knows full well what the game engine can or can't do.. They know how the game will perform on many if not all of the popular configurations.. They would have to.. Because they have to reproduce an issue before they can even diagnose it or try to fix it.. The game has gone through a lot of optimizing since the beta..

The biggest issue that people are facing right now are their own computers.. Many people play on lap tops.. I don't care what anyone says.. Laptops are the worst game machines.. People also like to run all kinds of other apps while they play.. This can cause problems..

I only mentioned my computer because it mirrored the spec of someone else that was saying he was getting bad performance..

As for proof?? You don't need it.. I don't have to prove I am not having an issue.. You have to prove that the issue is not your computer.. Just as most everyone else does.. That is what DirectX Diag is for.. :)

• Dev Post
Hey all, I just wanted to pop in and say we are actively working on various optimizations (both server and client) and will continue to do so. It's extremely important for us to continually make improvements to our technology so we can have users across a variety of system specs and support large living worlds for those users to craft their virtual lives.

If you can get decent frames rate in a 40v40 open world PvP fight....... then you're not playing SWTOR (but rather some other MMORPG). That's just the sad reality. :(

That's not the same thing at all as having perfectly acceptable performance killing mobs in the middle of no where, or even PvPing in a instanced warzone with a handful of people.

Warhammer Online started out with serious engine problems, but they soon got on to optimising it, by 9 months from Live (as SWTOR is now) it was almost a new engine (performance-wise). In the end WARs engine managed to stand up to 400 v 400 fights in 1 RvR basin and then it was the server that fell over not the engine. :eek:

I have not done anything 40X40 and I think that is a bit extreme.. The Pilgram fight I did lastnight had about 20 peeps or so.. Could have been less.. Warzones have 2 teams of 8 and Raids have 16 man.. So I don't know where your going to get a 40X40.. I don't think you are playing SWTOR..

In either case.. You are asking a lot for any game engine to rendar 80 people and their skills and effects with flawless smoothness.. You would need a computer more powerful than anything on the market and a direct fiber optic link to your computer.. That many people, your internet can cause hiccups.. Still not the games fault..

Warhammer doesn't have nearly the game graphics that this game has so that is irrelevent. Sorry..

You can disagree all you want.. If you want to sit and do nothing and blame the game.. Fine.. Be my guest.. You aren't going to accomplish anything..

They are not stupid.. They test stuff.. They know the performance of their gaming engine.. You can deny it all you want.. They have countless tests to prove it.. If you are having an issue, then you must show them why and give them enough info to reproduce it.. Just saying..

Posts like this don't make sense. Tons of people have good FPS with most games. They have great FPS with Guild Wars 2. They have bad FPS with TOR. And because you're computer runs TOR fine you come to the conclusion that it must be their computers?

Logic fail.

Posts like this don't make sense. Tons of people have good FPS with most games. They have great FPS with Guild Wars 2. They have bad FPS with TOR. And because you're computer runs TOR fine you come to the conclusion that it must be their computers?

Logic fail.

How does the logic fail?? I am running the same kind of computer as anyone else.. Same game, and same engine.. If I am getting good performance, and the game and engine are a constant.. You go with the only thing that isn't.. Their computer.. Perfectly logical..

But that isn't what I said.. People complaining here will accomplish nothing.. If they are really having issues then they need to go to the CS forum and take it up with Bioware.. They need to find out why they are having bad performance.. That is the only logical solution.. Ranting about the game engine will accomplish nothing.. Bioware isn't going to know what to fix unless they know what is wrong.. And since nobody wants to look at their computers.. Guess that will never happen now will it??

How other games run is irrelevent.. Sorry... But that arguement doesn't hold water..

If someone is having performance issues, then it would be in their best interest to get with Bioware and work with them on that issue.. That is the only way their issue will get solved.. That is the only logical solution.. Standing somewhere screaming that your car is broke isn't going to get it fixed.. Take it to a shop and tell them what is wrong with it.. It is the same logic..

Edited by MajikMyst

Hey all, I just wanted to pop in and say we are actively working on various optimizations (both server and client) and will continue to do so. It's extremely important for us to continually make improvements to our technology so we can have users across a variety of system specs and support large living worlds for those users to craft their virtual lives.

Thanks Matt! May I ask, when can we expect to see some of these optimizations going live? I assume they happen routinely with updates, but your reply makes it sound as if something more may be being worked on.

LOL, considering the number of bugs and problems with which the game launced and which still exist, I would have to question BWs ability to test the game. The QC has long been questioned and the resolve and ablility to deal with issues (not identified in their process but by game players) has well been lacking.

Unlike the person below you, I will not ask for proof of your statements. There are a few key things that lead me to believe that indeed that there is an issue with the engine. First, if someone can play other games smoothly and at decent frame rates on their rigs then there is a difference between those games and Swtor. Second , enough people with top end rigs have reported problems to make me look to the servers and engine and not their specific rigs. Third, I have a good rig and get good frame rates pretty well all over. But I see terrible abilty delay issues (hit overload and count a few clicks before my character responds, shoot grav round and have to wait a few clicks before high impact bolt lights up, and so on). I see that when I hit submit listing on fhe GTN or hit an item attached to a piece of mail, there is at times / often a one to three second delay before the action actualy happens. I have no lag or other issues and feel that the engine response is sluggish at most times. Gameplay and combat should be crisp and flowing. To me the engine is indeed flawed and becomes overloaded easily and that affects fps and general responsiveness in many places.

Boware probably does know at this point how bad the engine is. Is it fixable? I don't know and suspect not. I don't see a major overhaul or migration to another engine, rather just milking the cow for all that it is worth as it dies a slow and painful death.

I also don't thnk that most of the people with performance issues come to the forum to rant. They just do what they can to fix the problems on their end and when that fails unsub.

Edited by asbalana

LOL, considering the number of bugs and problems with which the game launced and which still exist, I would have to question BWs ability to test the game. The QC has long been questioned and the resolve and ablility to deal with issues (not identified in their process but by game players) has well benn lacking.

Unlike the person below you, I will not ask for proof of your statements. There are a few key things that lead me to believe that indeed that there is an issue with the engine. First, if someone can play other games smoothly and at decent frame rates on their rigs then there is a difference between those games and Swtor. Second , enough people with top end rigs have reported problems to make me look to the servers and engine and not their specific rigs. Third, I have a good rig and get good frame rates pretty well all over. But I see terrible abilty delay issues (hit overload and count a few clicks before my character responds, shoot grav round and have to wait a few clicks before high impact bolt lights up, and so on). I see that when I hit submit listing on fhe GTN or hit an item attached to a piece of mail, there is at times / often a one to three second delay before the action actualy happens. I have no lag or other issues and feel that the engine response is sluggish at most times. Gameplay and combat should be crisp and flowing. To me the engine is indeed flawed and becomes overloaded easily and that affects fps and general responsiveness in many places.

Boware probably does know at this point how bad the engine is. Is it fixable? I don't know and suspect not. I don't see a major overhaul or migration to another engine, rather just milking the cow for all that it is worth as it dies a slow and painful death.

I also don't thnk that most of the people with performance issues come to the forum to rant. They just do what they can to fix the problems on their end and when that fails unsub.

Ok.. So Bioware is helpless and can't do anything.. Why bother posting in the forums at all then???

Just saying.. :rolleyes:

Edited by MajikMyst

• Dev Post
Thanks Matt! May I ask, when can we expect to see some of these optimizations going live? I assume they happen routinely with updates, but your reply makes it sound as if something more may be being worked on.

They tend to be bundled with our updates simply due to the extensive testing required. As for "something more," I think you just may be reading a bit too much into it, TUX. :) It just makes sense from a customer relations, developer, and studio perspective to continually improve our tech which is what I was trying to get across in my original post. We want optimizations/improvements as much as you guys do and are actively working on them.

Excellent. :)

In either case.. You are asking a lot for any game engine to rendar 80 people and their skills and effects with flawless smoothness.. You would need a computer more powerful than anything on the market and a direct fiber optic link to your computer.. That many people, your internet can cause hiccups.. Still not the games fault..

Warhammer doesn't have nearly the game graphics that this game has so that is irrelevent. Sorry..

Warhammer Online has comparable graphics.... it also has collision detection which means a lot more data has to be shifted back and forth than in SWTOR.

There's something in SWTOR that causes big issues in those sort of situations, it's very similar in feel to a lot of what used to happen in WAR earlier on.

PvP on that scale simply doesn't happen on the server I play on now (or for a long time :(), so it's impossible to test directly today, but certainly world bosses have caused the similar problems relatively recently.

Edited by Goretzu

How does the logic fail?? I am running the same kind of computer as anyone else.. Same game, and same engine.. If I am getting good performance, and the game and engine are a constant.. You go with the only thing that isn't.. Their computer.. Perfectly logical..

But that isn't what I said.. People complaining here will accomplish nothing.. If they are really having issues then they need to go to the CS forum and take it up with Bioware.. They need to find out why they are having bad performance.. That is the only logical solution.. Ranting about the game engine will accomplish nothing.. Bioware isn't going to know what to fix unless they know what is wrong.. And since nobody wants to look at their computers.. Guess that will never happen now will it??

How other games run is irrelevent.. Sorry... But that arguement doesn't hold water..

If someone is having performance issues, then it would be in their best interest to get with Bioware and work with them on that issue.. That is the only way their issue will get solved.. That is the only logical solution.. Standing somewhere screaming that your car is broke isn't going to get it fixed.. Take it to a shop and tell them what is wrong with it.. It is the same logic..

If you get such huge performance on multiplayer instances and PVP, a video would be nice. If your statement is true people could copy your set up and get such super performance.

But you are likely exaggerating. Sure, a lot of us with good set ups get good framerates in the single player aspect of the game, unfortunately this is a MMO..... Its a shame when multiple players on screen cause such performance degradation.

They tend to be bundled with our updates simply due to the extensive testing required. As for "something more," I think you just may be reading a bit too much into it, TUX. :) It just makes sense from a customer relations, developer, and studio perspective to continually improve our tech which is what I was trying to get across in my original post. We want optimizations/improvements as much as you guys do and are actively working on them.

So I guess large scale; compelling PvP is never going to happen? since the engine can't handle it without "big changes"? :(

That's great to hear.

We can't have any mass open world pvp until the client can handle it. I'm very frustrated with the client waiting on information instead of running it separately.

Edited by Arkerus

That was my assumption, thank you for clarifying. There have been some very noticeable improvements lately and I appreciate it. I hope you're involved with the changes Matt - you're a very Adept developer and one I have complete confidence in. ;)

Edited by TUXs

If you get such huge performance on multiplayer instances and PVP, a video would be nice. If your statement is true people could copy your set up and get such super performance.

But you are likely exaggerating. Sure, a lot of us with good set ups get good framerates in the single player aspect of the game, unfortunately this is a MMO..... Its a shame when multiple players on screen cause such performance degradation.

No..he is not exaggerating. Some have the performance he has noted. Which I did..no issues at all with performance with me. I did not do any PVP however. But all the runs I did...and on the fleet, the performance was excellent. With all settings set to max. What some donot understand is...not all computers are equal, because behind each one is a player who may have different preferences when they play on thiers. Background programs...desktop settings...other stuff..etc etc.