Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Same gender relationships clarifications?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Same gender relationships clarifications?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

losdia
08.24.2012 , 09:37 PM | #1001
Hey, since we're in new thread nostalgia mode, let me ask an old question I've never been able to get a straight answer to; Did anybody ever confirm if there was SGR in the closed beta? I've heard a few time that there was some, very unfinished stuff in there, but I've never heard anybody who played in the closed beta give more than a vague answer on this.
"Say, Mike... Did we just do something horribly wrong?"
"Yeah, I think so."
-MST3K, Invasion USA

Kioma
08.24.2012 , 09:49 PM | #1002
Quote: Originally Posted by losdia View Post
Hey, since we're in new thread nostalgia mode, let me ask an old question I've never been able to get a straight answer to; Did anybody ever confirm if there was SGR in the closed beta? I've heard a few time that there was some, very unfinished stuff in there, but I've never heard anybody who played in the closed beta give more than a vague answer on this.
I was in beta and I didn't see any. I didn't go through the whole game in that time, though.

I DID see far more flirts available for female characters to male NPCs, though. A lot of those got taken out.
::Please Stand By, Signature Assessment Probe Commencing Analysis::

losdia
08.24.2012 , 10:09 PM | #1003
Quote: Originally Posted by Kioma View Post
I was in beta and I didn't see any. I didn't go through the whole game in that time, though.

I DID see far more flirts available for female characters to male NPCs, though. A lot of those got taken out.
The way I heard it, and the people I heard it from could have been talking total BS, it was only in from about mid-June of last year to the first week in July, it was M/M and only on one companion for Trooper (I would assume Aric).
"Yeah, I think so."
-MST3K, Invasion USA

Kioma
08.24.2012 , 10:10 PM | #1004
Quote: Originally Posted by losdia View Post
The way I heard it, and the people I heard it from could have been talking total BS, it was only in from about mid-June of last year to the first week in July, it was M/M and only on one companion for Trooper (I would assume Aric).
Yeah, I didn't touch Trooper until post-launch. Could've been there, I couldn't say for sure.

GreylinY
08.25.2012 , 01:52 PM | #1005
Hello all, just another voice in favor of same gender relationships in SWTOR. I adore Corso lol but definitely would far prefer similar attention from Kira while being able to play a character the same gender that I actually am. We get to make choices, light and dark, defiant or brown nosing. We are easily given the option of murdering Karrels Javis, or letting him go, though no one would claim by extension that Bioware supports murder, because we have that option. Just give us the harmless option of flirting with whomever we choose, please.

Kioma
08.25.2012 , 02:12 PM | #1006
Quote: Originally Posted by GreylinY View Post
Hello all, just another voice in favor of same gender relationships in SWTOR. I adore Corso lol but definitely would far prefer similar attention from Kira while being able to play a character the same gender that I actually am. We get to make choices, light and dark, defiant or brown nosing. We are easily given the option of murdering Karrels Javis, or letting him go, though no one would claim by extension that Bioware supports murder, because we have that option. Just give us the harmless option of flirting with whomever we choose, please.
Very well said. I doubt anyone at Bioware would support the painful torture of a human until his brain liquefies but that's in the game too.

Uluain
08.25.2012 , 05:38 PM | #1007
I do want to make something clear here that I don't think gets raised in this thread enough. and that is that I do really like this game. I plan to keep playing and just extended my play time for another sixty days (I do take breaks to come back fresh - game time cards are the most sensible option for me).

I also know this is still a new game, and new features do take time to happen and I am happy to make allowances for that. While I do feel same-gender content ought to have been in from the beginning, I am by no means storming the gates with pitchforks and torches and an angry mob to demand this go in at once.

However, I will say that my enjoyment of the game -- particularly on my male Gunslinger, otherwise my favorite character to play -- is substantially diminished without same-gender options for the romantic content that the game does feature, and that very much does include the [Flirt] options for mission NPCs as much as companion characters.

So where I have frustration regarding this content, it's two-fold: one, knowing it ought to be there but isn't and two, the uncertainty of the future of same-gender content given the changes at BioWare Austin since last month and the advent of F2P. I like the game, but I could like it much better. I can be patient if I know it is still coming, but news would certainly help.

losdia
08.25.2012 , 08:34 PM | #1008
Quote: Originally Posted by Uluain View Post
I do want to make something clear here that I don't think gets raised in this thread enough. and that is that I do really like this game. I plan to keep playing and just extended my play time for another sixty days (I do take breaks to come back fresh - game time cards are the most sensible option for me).

I also know this is still a new game, and new features do take time to happen and I am happy to make allowances for that. While I do feel same-gender content ought to have been in from the beginning, I am by no means storming the gates with pitchforks and torches and an angry mob to demand this go in at once.

However, I will say that my enjoyment of the game -- particularly on my male Gunslinger, otherwise my favorite character to play -- is substantially diminished without same-gender options for the romantic content that the game does feature, and that very much does include the [Flirt] options for mission NPCs as much as companion characters.

So where I have frustration regarding this content, it's two-fold: one, knowing it ought to be there but isn't and two, the uncertainty of the future of same-gender content given the changes at BioWare Austin since last month and the advent of F2P. I like the game, but I could like it much better. I can be patient if I know it is still coming, but news would certainly help.
I don't know. My thing with TOR is that it is a easy game to like, but, right now, it is a very hard game to love. I think if SGR were in I would be able to forgive the game a lot more of its... Issues. So much of the game feels like it is still unfinished that the overall game feels like it is in some kind of bizarre extended paid beta. Most of the little issues aren't even a big deal, but the overall effect they have is so irritating that it is hard not be be annoyed with the game at times. Just as an example, if the interface editor gave you the option to work with individual layers (and a better ability to adjust chat box size), I think that would be the one of the most useful features ever in an MMO, but right now it is this big mess of blobs it takes ten minutes of poking at to create something comfortable. There are a million little things like that just need some spit and polish to be perfect. At this point, I honestly would have rather waited six more months for the game and had a less rushed product then have spent as much time as I have mad at the game.

Having said that, the story is what brought me in, and the story is good... Mostly. There are some bits that aren't my favorite, and some parts felt like they were just tacked on to get the game out the door, but overall it works. To me it makes the grinding and the duller flashpoints worth it. Except it doesn't always, I have had a really hard time getting into the non-jedi/sith classes. I sloughed my way through the smuggler story becuase I enjoyed it, but I've never manged to get past act one with any of the others. I think if SGR was in it would give me the incentive to WANT to do an IA and Trooper play through. It would make me want to go back and do a SW replay. It would be a big part of finishing the story for me, and that's all I really want.
"Yeah, I think so."
-MST3K, Invasion USA

Uluain
08.26.2012 , 04:24 PM | #1009
Yes - that's pretty much my feeling as well (with the understanding that the first year of any MMO is a sort of paid beta). I like the game, but to actually have the same-gender content would allow me to enjoy it that much better.

Looks like we had some posts cleared, too. So just as a reminder (and I am as guilty as anyone else), don't feed the trolls. Flag problem posts and let them go.

Uluain
08.27.2012 , 01:43 PM | #1010
To summarize:
  • We were told that, as of last September, same-gender companion romances will be included in the game as "post-launch" content.
  • We know it will most likely be presented in the same way as existing romantic content, with a visibly marked option which one may choose or not.
  • We are told this content is coming "this year".

There are particular issues that remain uncertain, however, which have not to date been addressed and others which arise from changes to the planned direction of the game:
  • Is this content still slated for inclusion?
  • If so, are we still to expect it this year?
  • Will same-gender romantic options be available with current companions?
  • If so, with which?
  • If so, will the companion story need to be re-started from the beginning, or will the new content be available on companions who have journeyed with us and shared their stories all the way to level cap?
  • Will same-gender romantic options extend beyond companion romances, to the [Flirt] options seen from mission NPCs throughout the game?

Also, some metadiscussion questions arise from how information on this content has been handled:
  • Why was this never addressed in the old Community Q&A, however often it was asked?
  • Why, if discussion of this content is restricted to a single forum thread, do we only receive Community Team responses through anonymous replies in other threads or in private messages, but not the thread where discussion is allowed?
  • Is this issue the subject of some kind of special gag-rule from on high?
  • If so, are those responsible aware of how silence in regards to this content makes its active exclusion more disappointing?
  • How can we, as players interested in this content, assure our concerns are heard by those able to address them?
  • How can we know that, in fact, they are being heard when we, in turn, hear nothing?

Yes, a bump, but a useful and substantive bump I hope. And it was this or transgressively open a new thread in the forbidden precincts of the General Discussion board.