Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

What is up with the Server? (Canderous Ordo)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service (Read-Only)
What is up with the Server? (Canderous Ordo)

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Daskillz
08.22.2012 , 07:34 AM | #1
To start, I by no means expect this game to be perfect because every game has its flaws but this is getting really ridiculous. Tuesday night, my guild had to cancel the raid because anytime somebody had to release out of HM EC they got an Access Denied message which makes them have to keep re-logging till it decides to work. With this recent patch it seems like zoning into all instances is like playing Russian roulette because the game server lag may keep you from getting in making you re log.

The Server overall seems to be getting worse and worse overtime with the lag on the evenings.

With the Server being this bad for us paying customers I don't even want to see it when it is free to play. I understand you guys are doing what you can for this but I just ask for the game to at least be playable. This will be another week where I wasn't able to clear HM EC on a Tuesday because of server issues.

Fungi
08.22.2012 , 08:48 AM | #2
Ditto.

Just to expand: It's not my ISP's fault when 100 people suddenly disconnect on the republic fleet. It's not a driver issue when I can't use the mail system. It's not anything on my end when it takes 5 minutes to exit a warzone after the conclusion of a match.

I reported this problem and was asked for a DxDiag and tracert. I have to ask - Are you serious?

And to make matters worse, the E-mail from your customer support was so riddled with grammar and spelling mistakes I could barely make myself read it. Very tacky. Get it together.

Scrawl
50 Vanguard
Canderous Ordo
pew-pew.

Neoforcer
08.22.2012 , 12:59 PM | #3
This happen to my guild they ended up calling the raid as every one ended up on a checker board between fleet and the instant. I did tell them they should play some wizard chess which got some laughs. But the way this server is running it's no laughing matter. You que for warzone get stuck once the que pops were you cant move there is no load bar. You have to close the game and hope you don't bug out and end up on the checker board please look at are server bioware

Kolwyn
08.22.2012 , 11:49 PM | #4
Most of the people I've talked to (Guildies and another Guild that we're allied with) have experienced severe lag, random DCs, mail failures, and interminable loading screens, all on Canderous Ordo. The few who have attempted to speak with CSRs have pretty much been told that the problem is on the player's end (ie update drivers, call your ISP, run the repair .exes, sacrifice kittens, etc). Yet the one point of consistency between all of us is that most of these problems didn't start until after Patch 1.3 and its various mini-updates (which for some have made the issues progressively worse).

Is this a problem restricted to Canderous Ordo or is it affecting all servers equally? I know that we currently have 2 raiders sitting out due to the above mentioned problems (little hard to raid with a 3 second lag delay and random DCs).

I truly love SWTOR and I hope to continue playing it for years. However, if the basic game cannot run without issue then I dread what will happen with all the new programming that F2P will bring to the table. Please make addressing these issues a priority. Stop blaming players when your patches bring more problems with them. Admit that your patch wasn't properly tested, fix it, and move on. We'll all be happier for it. Thanks for your time.

Dunkirk
[Dark Elite Forces]
Canderous Ordo

JovethGonzalez
08.23.2012 , 02:47 PM | #5 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Hi folks, we've been seeing some reports about this specific issue and Sr. Server Programmer Jennifer Harkness wanted to elaborate a bit on what's been going on:

As many of you have noticed, we have been playing with the population settings for the raid areas, and in particular for Explosive Conflict. The main change is that we've lowered the overall population for those zones. We've been really happy with the reports of lowered lag that folks have been posting, so it looks like that side of the change has been a great success.

However, we have run into one unexpected effect. Normally when you zone to a new area, we try to put you in the same instance as your guild mates and friends. Unfortunately, it's doing the same thing when you zone into raid instances, which means that with the lowered population numbers, you can be the last one who fits in the instance, and there won't be room for the rest of your Operations group. This is why a few people have been getting the dreaded "Server Admin" error and end up unable to zone into Denova.

When this happens to you in a group that has just started, the best thing to do is to have everyone exit the area, then reset the group's active phases. Then you can have someone who is either unguilded or who knows their guild members aren't in a raid instance zone in first so that they get a emptier instance.

If this happens to your group when you have made progress and would have to kill your way back in, you can wait a few minutes and hope that the population drops, or you can reset your phase immediately and you should be able to enter a new instance immediately.

We did make a configuration change yesterday afternoon to help with the problem and we're monitoring the servers very closely to evaluate whether that lowers the error rate enough. We're also working as quickly as possible to get a regular fix ready to deploy.

PresBMK
08.23.2012 , 03:49 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by JovethGonzalez View Post
Hi folks, we've been seeing some reports about this specific issue and Sr. Server Programmer Jennifer Harkness wanted to elaborate a bit on what's been going on:

However, we have run into one unexpected effect. Normally when you zone to a new area, we try to put you in the same instance as your guild mates and friends. Unfortunately, it's doing the same thing when you zone into raid instances, which means that with the lowered population numbers, you can be the last one who fits in the instance, and there won't be room for the rest of your Operations group. This is why a few people have been getting the dreaded "Server Admin" error and end up unable to zone into Denova.
Joveth,

Can you please pass on to Jennifer the following important information? The dreaded "Server Admin" error most often happens for my group (and others I am familiar with) not when Denova instances are FULL but rather when they are EMPTY. That is, when all other operations have left that Denova instance and only our group is remaining, with 1-2 people in the instance being the only ones, and the remainder stuck outside.

Thanks.

I'd like to add that the other issue seems like a simple fix: disable the friend-matching instancing for operations, flashpoints, warzones, etc...

Lostpenguins
08.23.2012 , 03:50 PM | #7

As many of you have noticed, we have been playing with the population settings for the raid areas, and in particular for Explosive Conflict. The main change is that we've lowered the overall population for those zones. We've been really happy with the reports of lowered lag that folks have been posting, so it looks like that side of the change has been a great success.

When this happens to you in a group that has just started, the best thing to do is to have everyone exit the area, then reset the group's active phases. Then you can have someone who is either unguilded or who knows their guild members aren't in a raid instance zone in first so that they get a emptier instance.

If this happens to your group when you have made progress and would have to kill your way back in, you can wait a few minutes and hope that the population drops, or you can reset your phase immediately and you should be able to enter a new instance immediately.

We did make a configuration change yesterday afternoon to help with the problem and we're monitoring the servers very closely to evaluate whether that lowers the error rate enough. We're also working as quickly as possible to get a regular fix ready to deploy.
Sorry, going to have to disagree with you on this one. Still getting stupid lag spikes in the operations. Plus, you're suggested workaround is flat out bad. That's not even a minor workaround, that's a huge one asking someone else to jump through hoops for you.

Try again...

Bocek
08.23.2012 , 03:59 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by PresBMK View Post
Joveth,

Can you please pass on to Jennifer the following important information? The dreaded "Server Admin" error most often happens for my group (and others I am familiar with) not when Denova instances are FULL but rather when they are EMPTY. That is, when all other operations have left that Denova instance and only our group is remaining, with 1-2 people in the instance being the only ones, and the remainder stuck outside.

Thanks.

I'd like to add that the other issue seems like a simple fix: disable the friend-matching instancing for operations, flashpoints, warzones, etc...
I don't think she is talking about individual ops instances, she is talking about over all instance size, i.e. like you can have about 250 on fleet before a second is created. So maybe a Denova isntance is 100 and there is 4 spots left. So when your ops zones in 4 get in, but the other 4 a stuffed and get the error.

However I don't understand why the instance size for an ops isn't set at a number divisible by 16. The you shouldn't have an issue right?

SidneyFault
08.23.2012 , 06:43 PM | #9

I don't know about the rest of you but the words wait and hope should absolutely NEVER be uttered by any member of the DEVs or community managers ever again..

No wonder they can't get anything right
May the 4th be with you!!!!!

ZionHalcyon
08.24.2012 , 07:08 AM | #10
This is happening a ton over on the Harbinger server too - the fix they put in place caused my raid team the past 2 nights to not be able to do EC HM because of the stupid server admin error.

Get this FIXED