Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Cash Shop Purchases: Account Wide or Single Character only?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Cash Shop Purchases: Account Wide or Single Character only?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Luxidenstore
08.23.2012 , 10:26 AM | #11
They need to start finding out how this is going to work and then release some examples. Right now, the only carrot on a stick for subscribers to pay the monthly fee for a game that has gotten stale and receieves no content, is the promise of Cartel coins for every month. Thing is that most people won't care, because we have no idea how much the amount we get will get us and we mostly have no idea what we can actually buy for the coins.
http://www.swtor.com/r/PMZhvb

Use this link to get 7 days of sub, plus prefered friends bundle.

BenjaminminU
08.23.2012 , 10:37 AM | #12
I hope that the Cartel shop purchases will be account wide, either that or you get seperate cartel coins for each character.

Also Devs, if you're listening, I would seriously pay for a Marvel Avengers Hawkeye Costume (from the film) for my future imperial agent. Just replace the SHIELD Logo with a sith empire one.
"Declaration: Assassination protocols active. Greetings, master" - HK-51

Andryah
08.23.2012 , 10:41 AM | #13
If they follow industry precedent... it will be a combination of both.

Since they do both with legacy perks already, this reinforces to me that they will offer both, depending on what it is. The legacy perk offering is our best insight as to which is which for now.
Forum disputatio ------> est completum ineptias.

Sweetiepies
08.23.2012 , 10:57 AM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Styxx View Post

Then again, I`m shooting in the dark here, banking on EA`s greed. I wouldn`t put it past them, seeing how they are trying to force subs by limiting access to what we already own.
You do realize, unless you bought actual discs, you own nothing, right?

Styxx
08.23.2012 , 11:49 AM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Sweetiepies View Post
You do realize, unless you bought actual discs, you own nothing, right?
It would make for a very short bussiness if one would keep taking away stuff.

So, ya, I still own it... even if "rented". And they aren`t giving me any reason to keep "renting" their property, other than taking away some of the perks I am "renting", to begin with.

I do own my CC and I can go "rent" other property, however. SO, yea... not really rocket science stuff.

[EDIT]But past the legal BS, to me it`s really clear: What I have on my toons is mine, until the game shuts down. I don`t understand and I don`t like having limitations to stuff I already have. It costed time and money, which were covered previously by the 15$ Bioware itself set. Those are already "paid for".

One question for you: Where does it say I need to be a lawyer to play a game?
Quote: Originally Posted by John Riccitiello View Post
When you are six hours into playing Battlefield and you run out of ammo in your clip, and we ask you for a dollar to reload, you're really not very price sensitive at that point in time...We're not gouging, but we're charging.

BrianDavion
08.23.2012 , 12:08 PM | #16
it'll be a mix of both, the vanity stuff will likely be per character, although BW might suprise us and make it "BOL"

Blackavaar
08.23.2012 , 12:17 PM | #17
I'm pretty sure it will depend on what you're buying.

• Character Rename - obviously single character.
  • Non-combat Pet - account wide
  • XP boost - single character
  • Special Outfit - account wide

Of course, this is all conjecture. We won't know until they release it.

Only the meek get pinched. The bold survive.(███████████████████████████████████║║█[Θ]█]◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙[█]

Sweetiepies
08.23.2012 , 12:35 PM | #18
It would make for a very short bussiness if one would keep taking away stuff.

So, ya, I still own it... even if "rented". And they aren`t giving me any reason to keep "renting" their property, other than taking away some of the perks I am "renting", to begin with.

I do own my CC and I can go "rent" other property, however. SO, yea... not really rocket science stuff.

[EDIT]But past the legal BS, to me it`s really clear: What I have on my toons is mine, until the game shuts down. I don`t understand and I don`t like having limitations to stuff I already have. It costed time and money, which were covered previously by the 15$ Bioware itself set. Those are already "paid for".

One question for you: Where does it say I need to be a lawyer to play a game?
Lordy, where to begin with this mess.

What I have on my toons is mine, until the game shuts down.
No, no it isn't.
If they dropped a patch tomorrow that removed all orange gear shells from the game, for whatever reason, your orange gear shells are gone. You have no recourse to get them back. You have no choice in the matter whether or not they are deleted or not. If this was something you actually owned, you would have a decisions on what happened to your possessions (obviously barring criminal activities). You posses nothing but the box, Malgus statue, the discs, etc.

Once the FTP model goes live, your "rent" will give you access to everything you currently have access to.

I don`t understand and I don`t like having limitations to stuff I already have. It costed time and money, which were covered previously by the 15$ Bioware itself set. Those are already "paid for".
Again, no. They are not already paid for. You pay for access to these things for 15 skrilla a month. What you do in the time period you paid for (gather items, accrue credits, unlock races) is irrelevant. You pay the same amount as someone that uses SWTOR as a chat program, and is level 1. All either of you pay for is access to this game.

Now with that said, once this goes FTP, the items you buy for real money, specifically, like for example the orange mask, if you purchase that item, and then EA/Bio restricts access to that item, then you have a case for QQ.

Tuscad
08.23.2012 , 12:45 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by Iggster View Post
Pretend you are EA.

Which option makes you more money?

There's your answer.
^This.
Date Joined: March 2009 - Date unsubbed: 9/18/2012
It's been real but the game just wasn't worth the sub for me anymore.
Star Wars: First Assault is an Xbox Live Arcade game: http://kotaku.com/5948064/um-whats-t...ox-live-arcade

Styxx
08.23.2012 , 01:07 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by Sweetiepies View Post
Now with that said, once this goes FTP, the items you buy for real money, specifically, like for example the orange mask, if you purchase that item, and then EA/Bio restricts access to that item, then you have a case for QQ.
Wrong. Everything ingame is IP owned by various parties. It is the same case for one weapon even if it is bought with one credit ingame or one dollar in cash shop. The weapon itself is owned by EA and you only "rent" it. They have precisely the SAME right to limit access to it, regardless of how you purchased it.

It would be a bad bussiness decision, but ultimately legal.

Again, I am not a lawyer nor do I believe I need to be one while I am playing a game. Between 2 payment options, I am restricted access to what I see as "mine". End of story. I have nothing against having access restricted to any content, past, present or future. So, yes, to all "old" players, they ARE forced to keep a sub to keep access to their stuff. Which is, what I said, greed:

Quote:
Then again, I`m shooting in the dark here, banking on EA`s greed. I wouldn`t put it past them, seeing how they are trying to force subs by limiting access to what we already own.
Quote: Originally Posted by John Riccitiello View Post
When you are six hours into playing Battlefield and you run out of ammo in your clip, and we ask you for a dollar to reload, you're really not very price sensitive at that point in time...We're not gouging, but we're charging.