Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

How many boss will have Terror From Beyond

Karasuko
08.19.2012 , 11:17 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by WickedTexan View Post
I'm a fan of being able to clear an instance in one night. 4-5 hours is a good max. More bosses is fine with me, as long as trash is reduced.
Not sniping at you here but don't you find group concentration goes down after 3 hours?

My guild raids 2 hours a night 2 nigths a week with part of a night for NP with another guild.
This works out well for us but I don't think my guildies will mind doing 5 bosses on night A and 5 bosses on night B.
My vote is for more intresting bosses. 5 amazing fights would be better than 7-8 mediocre ones.That being said the devs are being paid to develop content so I won't say no to 10 amazing boss encounters

STARWOLFSWE
08.20.2012 , 03:37 AM | #12
Well I for one it seems dont mind clearing trash. Thats one big part in an encounter and story. If you were only to fight bosses then they wouldnt have to mind surroundings. Just have a big room with 1,2 or 3 bosses and have a slughterfest and lootdrop. I dont call that a game. I woulndt mind going through longer areas of trash. They could even make some elite trash drop some mods, enhancements etc. Say in EC SM drop random Columi parts and schematics. On HM Rakata mods and schematics.
When you know mecanics of a boss and the group is comfy with it no boss fight takes more then 10 minutes today. I like the trash to atleast take the 10-15 min for warm up before the boss or/and chill the adrenalin from the last encounter.

alifaraaz
08.20.2012 , 05:23 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by STARWOLFSWE View Post
Well I for one it seems dont mind clearing trash. Thats one big part in an encounter and story. If you were only to fight bosses then they wouldnt have to mind surroundings. Just have a big room with 1,2 or 3 bosses and have a slughterfest and lootdrop. I dont call that a game. I woulndt mind going through longer areas of trash. They could even make some elite trash drop some mods, enhancements etc. Say in EC SM drop random Columi parts and schematics. On HM Rakata mods and schematics.
When you know mecanics of a boss and the group is comfy with it no boss fight takes more then 10 minutes today. I like the trash to atleast take the 10-15 min for warm up before the boss or/and chill the adrenalin from the last encounter.
Yeah WoW tried the whole Gladiator arena just Boss after Boss with no trash. I'm not saying it's a bad idea, that raid was a bit of a 'filler' raid anyways, but it wasn't very fun.

I hate clearing trash, especially in this game as a tank, its just a chore. But I have to say, both in this game and in WoW, many of our 'first' kills have been after wiping for like 2 hours, then having to re-clear trash, and then killing the boss the attempt after that. It can be a nice little break almost, letting you collect yourselves after a boss fight.

I do feel there was a bit too much trash in EC, but more specifically too much of the same trash. In particular between the Tanks and Minefield bosses, that whole trenches area is horrible to clear, hate it :P
Some more interesting varying trash would be nice. As for incentive, some extra chance for loot would be good, but for now the Blackhole Commendation chests, I thought that was a good idea

I'd like to see a good 6-7 bosses is Terror. I'm not expecting any more than that tbh. If there are, fantastic - but they've not said or done anything to suggest that they're moving away from the 5-boss pattern. (EC is only 4, but then theres NP too)
Kazar - Powertech, [Tomb of Freedom Nadd EU]

Vankris
08.20.2012 , 08:08 AM | #14
Tactically Random Ai Spawn Heuristic aka TRASH

Those are necessary for any good design dungeons (or games for that matter). Any games out there let you fight weak enemies, in pack often, before leading you to a boss fight. From double dragon to R-type, from tomb raid to batman arkham city, this is the base of design, you don't just fight boss.

Trash offers

- Pacing
- Feel of progression in the dungeon
- Feel of power
- Let your class shine (crowd control, kick, stun, tanking, kiting, ...)
- offer a break between more tense and difficult fight like bosses. Often, you can chat with friend, joke or even make a quick afk during trash clear.

- also give chance of unique loot, gold
- in some mmo, reputation.

So yes, dungeon and raids needs trash, they have a purpose. Possibly the worst raid instance blizzard ever created, trial of the crusaders, is the one with no trash (and no exploring). Although the boss were interesting admitedly.
Shadow | Kinetic Combat

KarethRiker
08.20.2012 , 10:30 AM | #15
Just get the designers of Lost Island to do the design. 4 big bosses including the bonus and two mini bosses. Trash provides good pacing and isn't monotonous. Scaling that style up to an Operation would be great.

In general I thought EV and KP did a nice job with trash and EC each set between bosses just wears a bit, maybe 1-2 pulls too many.

I like the above posters idea of having some columi or tionese drops on the trash. We get these off bosses in HM FPS now, so wouldn't be too bad to have drop as BOP on top tier content.

ArchangelLBC
08.20.2012 , 02:39 PM | #16
I'm not against trash but seriously the trenches between Firebrand/Stormcaller and the minefield is just one long horrible headache. If the trash DID drop something on even a semi-regular basis (I've never seen a thing drop from the trench trash) that would be something, and putting stuff in the way of the chest that would otherwise be skippable is fine too, but slogging through the trenches to get to the boss is only fun in the way that it resembles actual Trench Warfare: Slow and not very rewarding.

I agree that the trash in EV and KP was done pretty well. I actually think KP is about perfect. A scaling up of the LI side of things is also pretty good, but in general, compared to EC, I want more bosses (at LEAST 5 but preferrably 7-8. Maybe 5 bosses and 2 optional bosses? Either way 4 is way too few) and less trash (again not too much less, but even the devs have said that EC maybe had a little too much).
In update 2.9 the game will simply uninstall itself for you.

-Wnd

Dacce
08.20.2012 , 07:40 PM | #17
I would also like to see 6-8 bosses instead of 4 with lots of trash.

not that I want trash removed completely, its good to have things to do between bosses.
Visage - Dace - Fat'Clam - Fistula - Shimini - Malikada

Selenial
08.20.2012 , 07:56 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by Typeslice View Post
EV and KP had 5 each; so actually, you're wrong.
EV: The turrets arent a boss, so the droid is one, gharj is two, the council is three, and soa is 4. The puzzle isnt a boss.

KP: Bonethrasher, Jharg and sorno (one loot one boss), foreman crusher, the droid, and karraga... So i guess your right on that one :P
The Mandalorian Wars were a series of massacres that masked another war, a war of conversion. Culminating in a final atrocity that no Jedi could walk away fromů save one.
Zarys Sorcerer Cathinka Scoundrel
Force In Balance - The Harbinger

Selenial
08.20.2012 , 07:59 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by Typeslice View Post
And sadly, statements like this are why we don't get more, and why people complain about no content after a month.
If we could do it in one night, id be happy, but our raid schedule a week is basically
EV NIM
KP NIM
EC SM
EC HM
SM Random for BH Comms
Then it would be terror from beyond. Thats six days a week, and i dont know a single guildie that would soon want to make it seven,let alone be able to make all of these anyway.
The Mandalorian Wars were a series of massacres that masked another war, a war of conversion. Culminating in a final atrocity that no Jedi could walk away fromů save one.
Zarys Sorcerer Cathinka Scoundrel
Force In Balance - The Harbinger

Chaqen
08.20.2012 , 10:04 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by Selenial View Post
If we could do it in one night, id be happy, but our raid schedule a week is basically
EV NIM 30-45 mins
KP NIM45-60 mins
EC SM60-90 mins
EC HM2-4 hours
SM Random for BH Comms
Then it would be terror from beyond. Thats six days a week, and i dont know a single guildie that would soon want to make it seven,let alone be able to make all of these anyway.
I put in red the average time it usually takes me to compete these raids in a competent pug, I would assume you and your guildies would be able to raid at least 2 to 4 hours a night, and could easily reduce your 5 day raid week into 2 or even 3. There is also the question of kp/ev NiM being worth running anymore, especially with TFB SM dropping campaign level loot, but that is a guilds personal preference to run those as a guild or not, but either way you should have more then enough time to fit tfb into your week even if it would take you 2 to 3 days to clear.