Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Suggestions to improve Open World PVP

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Suggestions to improve Open World PVP

Pistols
08.17.2012 , 10:18 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by DSafana View Post
7 negative posts so far. only 1 or 2 with any suggestions.
Nobody can make valid suggestions for a game that doesn't support massive World PvP.

Welcome to TOR.

CharterMonkKent
08.17.2012 , 10:55 AM | #12
I would love open world pvp in swtor but the game design (currently) is not meant for it. I still enjoy the game but I would enjoy it so much more if there was viable open world pvp.

factions would need balance. player controlled planets with player built / defended cities would need to happen.

but over all the mindset of grinding pvp gear would need to disappear. pvp in this game is designed around granted rewards. it's difficult if not impossible to break that trend.

pvp based on guild or faction pride would be excellent. i just don't know how it would happen.

Maybe... throw up a planet with no missions and excellent terrain (no missions would keep down lag, and it would be pvp minded terrain). Something overwhelmingly interesting, environmental traps, bottle necks, things that just plain look cool (READ: visuals and environment are priority). AND the kicker, once you step on planet expertise (nullified) and HP are balanced regardless of lvl / gear. Let's say everyone gets 18000HP. If objectives are needed after that so be it, maybe something simple to start is control over speeders on the planet, one speeder always available to each faction. World faction chat would be available, only on this planet so people could organize. Speeders placed all over the planet, some in defensively advantageous spots and some not. Anyway. That's my quickly thought of idea to add in some open world pvp.

Something I'd need to spend more time thinking about but would like, is a penalty for dying on this planet (something time related to stop zerging on ~30sec intervals). No instant respawn. This would make healer rezing a very wanted skill.

This would be attractive to those who:
-want to pvp without a gear gap
or/and
-want a break from the same 4 (soon to be 5) WZs
or/and
-want to organize some military strategy to pvp by taking/holding/defending
Wnk & Zlk & Knk & Xlk & Znk & Ynk & Tnk & Qnk & Chart
<Nothing Personal>
+ =

xstortion
08.17.2012 , 11:03 AM | #13
I haven't seen any suggestions for population imbalance are there any? I remember someone suggesting a 3rd factions would that help? Not even sure if that would be possible at any rate since you need to pick a faction just to roll characters.

CharterMonkKent
08.17.2012 , 11:14 AM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by xstortion View Post
I haven't seen any suggestions for population imbalance are there any? I remember someone suggesting a 3rd factions would that help? Not even sure if that would be possible at any rate since you need to pick a faction just to roll characters.
other games have allowed players to switch between factions and always post the numbers so the player base could see where the balance is.

I'd be fine with them doing that in this game. It wouldn't need to be complicated like converting BH (and all stats/gear) to a Trooper. Just leave the BH as a BH.

it's that or the game (devs) balance it by keeping the populations within 48%-52% balance. which would force server changes and/or only being allowed to create a new toon on a certain faction when it falls within the % give and take. This is also possible by listing which servers are currently accepting pubs or imps.

PVP faction balance over all is tough to figure because there are active and inactive players. Players that pvp and players that don't pvp (even on pvp servers).
Wnk & Zlk & Knk & Xlk & Znk & Ynk & Tnk & Qnk & Chart
<Nothing Personal>
+ =

Alizaro
08.17.2012 , 11:56 AM | #15
Delete the Fleet

RobNightfall
08.17.2012 , 04:44 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by islander View Post
First thing they need is a new game engine.
This. Until they fix the major lag problems that develop with large numbers of players in the same spot there is no point to open world PvP.
Edited because the devs appear to have fixed at least 80% of the crap that was pissing me off.