Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

CTD After Splash Screen then before Splash Screen

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service
CTD After Splash Screen then before Splash Screen
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Anagornakin
08.15.2012 , 08:53 PM | #1
Good evening,
I just purchased The Old Republic while on vacation - got home and installed it today. Originally installed to c:\games\Star Wars The Old Republic. After it updated, I launched it - it got to the splash screen, screen went black after a while and I heard sounds, I'm assuming they're the intro video sound tracks playing. Eventually a crash to desktop occurs, no error log is generated, nor does an error message pop up on screen. I try to launch it again, I can log in fine, hit play and I don't even reach a splash screen before it CTD's. Again, no error log or message of any kind.

I did a quick search of the forum, see posts mentioning a repair utility of sorts - launcherrepair or something... no such utility existed within my \Star Wars The Old Republic directory - neither was it in the random other folders there. I give up, uninstall and then begin the process anew. This time, going through the default install path (c:\Program Files (x86)\EA\Bioware\Star Wars - The Old Republic.

This time I've made sure to mark both the launcher and the application as running in admin mode, with compatibility set to XP Service Pack 3.
Updates finish, click play...get to the splash screen, it loads for a bit and then the intro videos start playing. I skip the first one, and watch the rest, however after the last video it CTD's. No error message or log is generated.
And again, no repair utility exists in the game's root directory.

DxDiag and whatever else is required posted below:
Spoiler

No logs are in the crashdump...
Thanks for any and all help in advance!
(other logs posted below)

Anagornakin
08.15.2012 , 08:54 PM | #2
Launcher Log...because apparently there are no client logs in my game folders
Spoiler

Anagornakin
08.15.2012 , 09:04 PM | #3
After looking a little closer, I finally managed to find the client logs...these are interesting
initial launch, 2nd install
Spoiler

every other log is identical to this:
Spoiler

Bronholz
08.15.2012 , 09:06 PM | #4 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Greetings Anagornakin,

Thanks for providing us with this information.

The first thing I would like you to try is to run a Repair from the launcher, this will check for an repair any corruptions in your game files. You can find this by logging into the launcher and clicking the cog icon.

Something I would also like to you try is when you launch the game putting it into windowed mode by pressing Alt + Enter.

Please also make sure that you have the latest drivers for your Graphics card, you can check this through your manufacturers website.

Thanks for your patience.
Bronholz | BioWare Customer Service Forum Support

Anagornakin
08.15.2012 , 09:14 PM | #5
Hey thanks...weirdly enough, I have no repair option available in the launcher.
When I click the cog button, all I get is a settings box with exactly one option - language. And yeah...I will try updating my graphics drivers...

Will attempt the windowed mode thing as soon as I'm done posting this.

Edit: No luck with window mode. Something I'm noticing, is that the launcher says it has like 22.x mb left to download, but then it just speeds through it immediately, leaving no indication of any download that could be currently ongoing. Would that be related?

Bronholz
08.15.2012 , 09:16 PM | #6 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Hi again Anagornakin,

It sounds like you may not have the latest version of our launcher. Please go here to download it: www.swtor.com/download

You should then have the option to Repair. Please keep us updated on your progress with the other steps.

Thanks.

Anagornakin
08.15.2012 , 09:18 PM | #7
Just out of curiousity, with the newest launcher, do I then need to reinstall the entire game by downloading it? The only reason I ask, is that I have the retail discs, and am on limited internet (60gb per month usage). If I can avoid downloading the entire game I would be very happy.

Bronholz
08.15.2012 , 09:21 PM | #8 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
I can confirm it won't make you reinstall the game, it's just a file about 90mb. Run it and it will install the new launcher version and recognize the files you already have.

Thanks.

Anagornakin
08.15.2012 , 09:24 PM | #9
I'm mildly confused now - didn't even get all the way through downloading the newest launcher, and all of a sudden I have the newest game launcher. Will try to run now, and then see if repair is needed...
Thanks for all your help so far! And also thanks for your patience in dealing with my issues

EDIT: And marvelously, and bizzarely the game just started working properly. Thanks for your help and patience...if I have any other issues, I know where I can get good help!

Bronholz
08.15.2012 , 09:38 PM | #10 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
Fantastic to hear that you got the issue resolved.

If you require any further assistance, please don't hesitate to contact us again.

Thanks for your time, Enjoy!