Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Vígo's Guide to Vanguard Tanking

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Trooper > Vanguard
Vígo's Guide to Vanguard Tanking

ArcticNemesis's Avatar


ArcticNemesis
08.13.2012 , 10:53 PM | #11
great guide, I'm a new Vanguard tank myself, you offer some great advice. thanks.

stephenjohnp's Avatar


stephenjohnp
08.15.2012 , 06:37 PM | #12
Yay, another Endurance stacker.

I have a Vanguard. Pretty much BIS. You should max out around 24k HP post-stim as a Vanguard. Please do not copy his example.

Find a nice Spreadsheet and use that to customise your gear. If at any time you are reading a guide and one of the first sentences is "The primary stat of any tank is Endurance." just stop reading.

Raczo_liga's Avatar


Raczo_liga
08.16.2012 , 02:24 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by _gideon View Post

2) The start of my "rotation" also prioritises bursting threat rather than building my power screen stack since this is the only time in the fight that threat might be sensitive. Nobody has ever noticed the difference in survivability but a few people have commented on the difference between my opening threat and some other tanks.

3) I have no use for explosive round, there's always a cheaper alternative. Also, while there are situations where full auto would be a good DPS choice they are few and if I'm that far from a mob then I am not holding still.
I will have to modify my statement in the guide slightly, my 'rotation' ignore the opening of the fight for the most part. I always prioritize threat when entering combat. So i always start off with AoE and/or Taunts before i go into my rotation. Once I have the npc's on me, that is when i start my rotation to build up Power Screen and start dishing out some dps to hold threat.

I also agree with you on Explosive Round, I very rarely use it. Sometimes its an easy way to get an npc's attention, but i will usually use something else for that. I don't use Full Auto that often, but if I'm in a 1v1 fight, I use it every once in a while if i'm waiting on a CD for something else.

Raczo_liga's Avatar


Raczo_liga
08.16.2012 , 02:32 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by stephenjohnp View Post
Yay, another Endurance stacker.

I have a Vanguard. Pretty much BIS. You should max out around 24k HP post-stim as a Vanguard. Please do not copy his example.

Find a nice Spreadsheet and use that to customise your gear. If at any time you are reading a guide and one of the first sentences is "The primary stat of any tank is Endurance." just stop reading.
Thank you very much for the positive, constructive criticism. The guide has been updated with my new build/stats, as well as a little more clarification in the stat details of the guide.

You are quite correct that Endurance is not the 'primary' stat of a Vanguard. I did not mean to construe that in my guide, and have refined my statements to clarify this. I have reduced my Endurance stat as of the beginning of August in favor of increasing Defense / Accuracy, and optimizing my secondary stats. Your post encouraged me to update my guide, so I thank you for that.

However folks, please keep in mind that my guide is not intended to dictate what is the best Vanguard set up. This will obviously change as the patches get released, and new gear comes out, etc, etc. My guide is an overview of the class, its abilities, and how they are used. If you find certain stats/builds work better, by all means use them, and I welcome feedback to improve my guide.

Raczo_liga's Avatar


Raczo_liga
08.17.2012 , 02:12 PM | #15
Guide updated 8/16/2012 with the following:
* New skill point build
* Update to stats and their prioritization
* Opening abilities to gain threat before rotation

CitizenFry's Avatar


CitizenFry
08.17.2012 , 04:13 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Raczo_liga View Post
Guide updated 8/16/2012 with the following:
* New skill point build
* Update to stats and their prioritization
* Opening abilities to gain threat before rotation
Disagree with Accuracy. You should not put ANY points into Accuracy AT ALL. Yes, this means most of the Tionese/Columi/Rakata gear you get from the vendors is awful.

Are you missing your 4-piece set bonus in those screenshots? It is very important!

You might point out that Explosive Round and Full Auto are weak enough that they can almost be taken off the hotbar.

Skill build: Containment Tactics is bad. Do not put points in it, ever. I used to be a firm proponent of Blaster Augs + Heavy Stock, but after mathing my way through one of my HM EC parses, I found that, in total, those talent points only bought me about 5000 damage. In the longest, hardest fight of the game. Which is less than 1 second of DPS uptime for the raid. I've since switched to Soldier's Endurance...it's only about 600 HP, but that is much more likely to make the difference between winning and losing, IMO. I won't fault people for going either direction there.

Harpoon is almost never an opener, and it's actually not very good at building threat. I only use it to reposition enemies for AOEs, and as an interrupt in rare situations.

Sticky bomb is actually a good opener. It won't put you "into combat" until the projectile actually hits the mob, so your GCD will actually be partially over. If I'm in a situation where I would open with Storm, I will almost always do Sticky -> Storm instead. Don't use your Explosive Surges immediately after your Storm. You have ~12s to use them, so make sure you've spent some ammo first, or they're wasted. A typical Storm opening should be something like

(Sticky Bomb) -> Storm -> Ion Pulse -> Energy Blast -> Ion Pulse -> Explosive Surge (1) -> Ion Pulse -> Explosive Surge (2) -> Stockstrike -> High Impact Bolt

If you're concerned about building AOE threat so mobs don't eat your healers, you might move the first Explosive Surge forward one place, but I wouldn't move it any further than that (and you should probably be using Mortar Volley in that scenario, anyway).

"NOTE: You should also use Nueral Jolt and Smoke Grenade as often as they are off of cooldown."

No. No, no, no. Smoke Grenade is one of your best cooldowns. Rather than firing it constantly, try to use it during high damage phases. For example, on Foreman Crusher, you can make your healer's life easier if you use Smoke Grenade on his Frenzy phases - it should be ready for each of them. Neural Jolt is off the GCD, so you can use it whenever it's needed if you're going to lose aggro. And in harder content, it's really important for tank switching, so you don't want to be in the habit of firing it constantly.

I didn't see you mention Target of Target anywhere in your guide. Turning that on is the #1 tip you can give to any new tank, IMO.
Crafting on The Ebon Hawk. PST/mail: Blayze (rep) / K'ron (imp)
Armoring: Commando 26, Reflex 26; Barrel: Patron 26
Mod: Weighted 26+26B, Deflecting 26 Enhancement: Bulwark 26, Battle 26, Finesse 26
Ear: Black Hole Mender's MK-2 Relay

_gideon's Avatar


_gideon
08.18.2012 , 02:37 AM | #17
I use harpoon as an opener on a few fights and sometimes on Zorn or Kephess adds if I don't need to reposition a bomber. It generates ~3k threat, is ranged and doesn't do damage (important if damaging the target might kill me or break cc). It's something I can snowball with taunts or combine with other openers.

Kytea's Avatar


Kytea
08.29.2012 , 12:00 AM | #18
It would be a better guide with a skilltree

Raczo_liga's Avatar


Raczo_liga
08.29.2012 , 12:28 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by Kytea View Post
It would be a better guide with a skilltree
I temporarily removed the images of the Skill Tree that I had, a new one will be up shortly.

Raczo_liga's Avatar


Raczo_liga
08.29.2012 , 04:48 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by CitizenFry View Post
Disagree with Accuracy. You should not put ANY points into Accuracy AT ALL. Yes, this means most of the Tionese/Columi/Rakata gear you get from the vendors is awful.
You are correct that no one should PUT points into Accuracy. That being said, every Vanguard is going to get accuracy as one of their stats from end-game gear. Never put any more than that into Accuracy, and if you are lucky enough to find a comparable modification piece to replace one with accuracy, definitely use it.

Quote: Originally Posted by CitizenFry View Post
Harpoon is almost never an opener, and it's actually not very good at building threat. I only use it to reposition enemies for AOEs, and as an interrupt in rare situations.
Like you, I use it to reposition enemies for the purpose of AoE, or as an interrupt. But I will occasionally use it as on opener, in conjuction with Storm; Leap to one enemy group, and pull in a straggler.

Quote: Originally Posted by CitizenFry View Post
Sticky bomb is actually a good opener. It won't put you "into combat" until the projectile actually hits the mob, so your GCD will actually be partially over. If I'm in a situation where I would open with Storm, I will almost always do Sticky -> Storm instead. Don't use your Explosive Surges immediately after your Storm. You have ~12s to use them, so make sure you've spent some ammo first, or they're wasted. A typical Storm opening should be something like

(Sticky Bomb) -> Storm -> Ion Pulse -> Energy Blast -> Ion Pulse -> Explosive Surge (1) -> Ion Pulse -> Explosive Surge (2) -> Stockstrike -> High Impact Bolt
Good advice, I tried this, and I now use it as my opener in almost every scenario. Works great!