Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

I wish I would have known (Crew Skills for the beginner)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > New Player Help
I wish I would have known (Crew Skills for the beginner)

TangoAlpahaZulu
08.14.2012 , 04:20 PM | #1
When I started playing my first toon (character) I read as much as I could but I never saw anything about how interwoven crew skills could be for a group of toons being played in conjunction with each other. Crew Skills are the skills your character learn to make things that they can use. Let me say first that it is important to keep up on your skills if you want to make useful gadgets for yourself and your legacy. (Your Legacy will eventually be your "family". Mine came at about lvl 33.)

What I didn't understand in the beginning is that my toon needed more than just a light saber. He also needed armor and Stims, and Mods for his/her customizables etc. etc. While you can get all of that in game there is something pretty cool about knowing that you made some really cool stuff and your entire legacy can use it. If you wanted to start small you could could go with an Armstech and a Synthweaver and make your own weapons for your smuggler and lets say a Trooper. Oh but wait... If you have a trooper your going to need a Armortech, so now you're up to three, and what's hat third one? A Jedi? You might want Artifice then. See how it can be additively progressive?

That doesn't even begin to touch on the Galactic Trade Network (GTN) where you can sell the things you make to other toons that need just what you are making. When you begin your journey think about what you want to play and possibly what sort of items they will need. If your into RP (Roleplaying) you can begin to develop a story about your legacy and possibly why they do what they do or why they have befriended others in your group and so on and so forth. I wish I would have understood crew skills better in the beginning, I think I would have started differently but I'm glad I finally figured it out. To me it's as much fun as the rest of the game.

MaximusVen
08.14.2012 , 07:59 PM | #2
I agree. I have a total of 8 alts and having all of them crafting different items sure makes leveling a lot easier. For me Cybertech is the most useful and universal for all alts. You can create armoring, mods, earpieces, droid parts, and ship parts. Artice is also a good one as you can get the color crystals, enhancements, and offhand items that all alts can use. Not to mention the hilts for the melee weapons. I find that armortech and/or synthweaving aren't as useful once you have "orange" gear that you like. But that's just my opinion.

Another recommendation would be to keep gathering / sending your unused companions on missions even if one alt doesn't need items at the moment. There are several crafting skills that share similar gathering / mission that having extra items will come in handy. You can send those extra items to your other alts without having to wait or buying them from the GTN. This can get expensive, so do it when credits are not a problem anymore.

SidSWJax
08.14.2012 , 08:58 PM | #3
I am really enjoying the crafting, but as I am still a beginner, I am confused about a few things. Will go into a bit of detail, but there is a TLDR at bottom.

I DL'ed the trial a few weeks ago, and got a few toons made, then couldn't access the ship one had. :-( So i bought the game on the 7th when the price dropped to $15. Since then i have done more crafting than raising levels. I have six characters, all of the main crafting skills, and a bit of redundancy on the other skills.

My first question is on Diplomacy. I had read that I needed it for Biochem, but I am finding otherwise. I got biochem to 140 on a toon, and only had diplomacy at 40. Basically I could buy the purple biochem items on the GTN and didn't need any blue or purple to level the skill itself, just needed bioanalysis to gather leveling materials. Is it accurate that you only really need diplomacy at end game if you are ok with crafting green items for your alts and can buy the purples at the GTN?

My second question is the one that is driving me nuts. I went a bit nuts buying schematics for my crafters, and I fell pretty locked in with who i have doing what. It looks like I picked well with Corso for Armstech, but I am missing out on the other critical craft bonuses in the craft trees. For example, there is a +5 crit for synthweaving for a Jedi Knight character (Kira, who I just got). Instead, my Shadow has my synthweaving, and my Knight has artifice. I am not too far along in level at crafting (85 in artifice, 60 in synth), but my synthweaver has some nice low level orange recipes, and my atrificer has RE'd to get some blue recipes.

So the question really is how much am I losing by not following the min/max on the crafting? I presume that crafting bonuses are not shared for all characters on a toon. For example, If Kira has a +5 to synth crit, that is only for when SHE is crafting, and not my ship droid or any other companion, right?

I have been lucky at the GTN, and have about 100K in credits, but hate to relearn what I have done and rebuy some of the schematics. I paid 10K for some orange gloves a few days ago, and although I have made the money back in sales, it seems like a waste to have to relearn the skills. Anyway, whatever advice you can give would be very helpful.

TLDR -
If one companion has a bonus, is that shared with any other companions that craft for a character? In other words does a bonus work at the companion level or the character level?

TangoAlpahaZulu
08.14.2012 , 09:42 PM | #4
The bonuses only apply to that comp but in my opinion those are only a nice bonus to have and I don't really find not having them restrictive. I didn't really know when I started and I'm not going to change them now. Most of my toons skills are over 100. I do find that my ship droid is pretty good at making stuff.

JacksonMo
08.15.2012 , 09:52 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by SidSWJax View Post
I am really enjoying the crafting, but as I am still a beginner, I am confused about a few things. Will go into a bit of detail, but there is a TLDR at bottom.

I DL'ed the trial a few weeks ago, and got a few toons made, then couldn't access the ship one had. :-( So i bought the game on the 7th when the price dropped to $15. Since then i have done more crafting than raising levels. I have six characters, all of the main crafting skills, and a bit of redundancy on the other skills.

My first question is on Diplomacy. I had read that I needed it for Biochem, but I am finding otherwise. I got biochem to 140 on a toon, and only had diplomacy at 40. Basically I could buy the purple biochem items on the GTN and didn't need any blue or purple to level the skill itself, just needed bioanalysis to gather leveling materials. Is it accurate that you only really need diplomacy at end game if you are ok with crafting green items for your alts and can buy the purples at the GTN?

My second question is the one that is driving me nuts. I went a bit nuts buying schematics for my crafters, and I fell pretty locked in with who i have doing what. It looks like I picked well with Corso for Armstech, but I am missing out on the other critical craft bonuses in the craft trees. For example, there is a +5 crit for synthweaving for a Jedi Knight character (Kira, who I just got). Instead, my Shadow has my synthweaving, and my Knight has artifice. I am not too far along in level at crafting (85 in artifice, 60 in synth), but my synthweaver has some nice low level orange recipes, and my atrificer has RE'd to get some blue recipes.

So the question really is how much am I losing by not following the min/max on the crafting? I presume that crafting bonuses are not shared for all characters on a toon. For example, If Kira has a +5 to synth crit, that is only for when SHE is crafting, and not my ship droid or any other companion, right?

I have been lucky at the GTN, and have about 100K in credits, but hate to relearn what I have done and rebuy some of the schematics. I paid 10K for some orange gloves a few days ago, and although I have made the money back in sales, it seems like a waste to have to relearn the skills. Anyway, whatever advice you can give would be very helpful.

TLDR -
If one companion has a bonus, is that shared with any other companions that craft for a character? In other words does a bonus work at the companion level or the character level?
It is cheap and easy to power level a crafting skill once you hit 50. You can buy the green mats for each tier of recipes and power through while standing next to the trainer.
Most green and blue recipes on GTN are fairly cheap, so replacing them shouldn't be hard, and at less than 100 skill level, there's no way you are losing one that will make you big bucks. Frankly non of them are big money makers. But a few of them can be money savers. Armor mech for example, lets you buy rakata belts and bracers for troopers and smugglers. Also, it has the cheapest to make augment kits of any skill.
Biochem has the best stims in the game.
Cybertech has some really cool reusable grenades, and of course some of the best ship upgrades in the game.

And don't forget your ship droid! After 1.2, you can get a legacy vendor to buy droid sensors that give your ship droid bonuses just like your other companions. If someone in your guild has one, you can group with them to enter their ship and use their vendor droid.

VigDiath
08.15.2012 , 10:19 AM | #6
Thinking about ditching Artifice on my main (Consular) and going Cybertech for the mods and armoring. You think it would be worth it? Only reason I ask is because I make hilts, crystals, generators and enhancements for many levels but barely sell most of them and wind up selling a lot of it to general vendors or REing what I didn't sell. It would seem that Mod and armoring would go far. As it is, I do sell most of my purple enhancements I make and I can make quite a few.
Jedi Covenant (The Baltimore Legacy)
Laaron - 55 (Shadow Tank) Eulora - 55 (Sage Healer)
Madmartygan - 55 (Guardian DPS) Skylaadawn - 55 (Sab Smug)
Akon - 55 (Carnage Marauder) L'aron - 53 (Sorc Healer)