Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Why are Zabrak colors different for Empire and Rebpulic?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Why are Zabrak colors different for Empire and Rebpulic?

Mantang
12.19.2011 , 01:38 PM | #1
On the Republic side Zabrak seems to be extremely underplayed and I have been telling people right along that they should create more and then I tried creating one myself.... What is the reasoning that the Empire gets to make Zabrak that are cool colors and have black tattoos and Republic is stuck with human skin tones with off-color facial markings? Why if you're not bound to be Dark Sided if you play Empire should only Empire get the "evil looking" character creation options?

NaimiIflya
12.19.2011 , 01:39 PM | #2
It's so Republic Zabrak can't look like Darth Maul.
Larmonte Murho from Sanctum of the Exalted <Jedi Guardian>

Digital-N-Plus
12.19.2011 , 01:51 PM | #3
The black/red markings you see on the Zabrak are Sith tattoos. It makes perfect sense from my point of view.

What DOESN'T make sense is why Bounty Hunter Zabraks still bear Sith Tattoos if they've never been Sith. That's just weird and it would mean that at some point, those particular Zabrak Bounty Hunters would have been Sith.

Natarii
12.19.2011 , 01:54 PM | #4
I'm actually fairly certain the the tatoos are more of an ethnic / traditional thing and have nothing to do with the Sith. Along those same lines, i think different 'tribes' of zabrak have aligned with each of the different factions, hence you see different skin tones for each side. Someone more versed in lore could probably answer better than I, but this seems to be what I can find on the subject.
Dark Lord of Altaholics Anonymous
Sword of Ajunta Pall - Sith Empire

Digital-N-Plus
12.19.2011 , 01:59 PM | #5
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Zabrak

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Sith_tattoo

Neither of these links really say much for Iridonian society in the times of the Old Republic. So maybe the tradition thing could hold true for this timeline.

ZioGio
12.19.2011 , 02:02 PM | #6
Bioware justifies it in-game during character creation. When you select the Zabrak species, it states that "Zabrak's have two visually different cultural groups split almost perfectly between Republic and Imperial space."

Mantang
12.19.2011 , 02:02 PM | #7
Good replies. I'm just crushed I don't have a better reason to promote Republic Zabrak creation... The only reason I could see a person rolling one is just because they have a love of the race regardless of aesthetics and how often do you see that happening....

Digital-N-Plus
12.19.2011 , 02:10 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by ZioGio View Post
Bioware justifies it in-game during character creation. When you select the Zabrak species, it states that "Zabrak's have two visually different cultural groups split almost perfectly between Republic and Imperial space."
Ah there it is. Good call mate! I'm gonna roll a Zabrak now.

ZioGio
12.19.2011 , 02:15 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Mantang View Post
Good replies. I'm just crushed I don't have a better reason to promote Republic Zabrak creation... The only reason I could see a person rolling one is just because they have a love of the race regardless of aesthetics and how often do you see that happening....
Actually, one good reason to play one on the Republic side is you can look more or less Human (if you want to) and still get to play the "alien" responses in the conversations. Although the fact that Humans still refer to the other species as "aliens" in a Star Wars game kind of throws me, LOL.

I played Zabrak quite a bit for my Republic characters during beta.

Digital-N-Plus
12.19.2011 , 02:19 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Mantang View Post
I play a Zabrak Trooper because I really liked the species as a whole.

What I'm wondering is how they put on helmets. That's gotta hurt! Or at least feel uncomfortable.