Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Announcing a Free-to-Play Option

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Announcing a Free-to-Play Option
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Tuscad
08.13.2012 , 03:30 PM | #1101
Quote: Originally Posted by Mallikyte View Post
How will this ruin the game? its not going to affect players who pay, they get priorty over f2p. True you can play to lvl 50 (i think thats too much free) but you still can't access all of the content. If anything this may entice the f2p to sub to get the full content. it does stink that it had to come to this so soon but it seems EA is doing what they can to keep it going.
Microtransactions.
Date Joined: March 2009 - Date unsubbed: 9/18/2012
It's been real but the game just wasn't worth the sub for me anymore.
Star Wars: First Assault is an Xbox Live Arcade game: http://kotaku.com/5948064/um-whats-t...ox-live-arcade

Fimbulthul
08.13.2012 , 09:43 PM | #1102
I dont know, sound like f2p will be nice finantially and not to constricting on the gameplay. Then again, what if
Vhut level 55 Cyborg LS Powertech
Z'rei Level 55 Sith Pureblood LS Sage
Zrei Level 50 Mirilian LS Mercenary
The Fimbulthul Legacy lvl 31 Jung ma (it's the best)

Weirdgus
08.13.2012 , 10:14 PM | #1103
Why are they making it pay to win? it sucks so much, f2p ftl (

SupremeLegate
08.13.2012 , 10:20 PM | #1104
Quote: Originally Posted by Weirdgus View Post
Why are they making it pay to win? it sucks so much, f2p ftl (
Pay 2 Win? Really? We don't even have all the details yet!

xxCJ
08.14.2012 , 06:38 AM | #1105
Quote: Originally Posted by Fimbulthul View Post
I dont know, sound like f2p will be nice finantially and not to constricting on the gameplay. Then again, what if
I think I'm not going to take the word from a guy who can't spell "financially" and "too" and is too lazy to type out "It's a trap!" three times.
"Every time you use a napkin while wearing a shirt, you waist a napkin you could have, and would have, used while not wearing a shirt."
- Me

Abeastami
08.14.2012 , 07:12 AM | #1106
I see this as a cowardly move, that will only end in one thing, good by SWTOR nice to have known ya.
The game is not even a year old, a game trial to lvl 20-25 would have been ok, but this is like giving up.
Pretty sure this is a EA decision, EA and company's like them doesn't have the passions for MMO's, the only thing they look at is the bottom line.
Yesterday is the past, tomorrow is the future, today is a gift thats why they call it the present

Rocketanski
08.14.2012 , 12:01 PM | #1107
There's an interesting article about this trend on IGN right now. They interview the CEO of Wargaming (World of Tanks), who makes the comment that for FTP to work, the game really has to be designed from the inception with that in mind, and so subscription games that convert to FTP rarely work.
http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/08/...and-pay-to-win

masterstassallie
08.14.2012 , 04:15 PM | #1108
Glad I logged in and saw this , my sub renewed in three more days, lol luckywoot. Canceled before the renewal not because I don't like the game but because I hardly ever did flashpoint and stuff because I don't know alot of people who play, never liked waiting around and trying to get a group together on the station. I like the stories and will probably still log in occasionally..I am an altoholic! Until I get bored with zeh stupid pandas, goodbye for now... my question is do I still get coins for the months I paid for even though I no longer have a sub.
Maury: "The DNA test results are in, Luke: sorry Darth. You are NOT the father"

Paskem
08.15.2012 , 07:47 AM | #1109
I support this idea.

Anything to keep this game alive.

as long as we who pay the sub get better treatment concerning content / gear availability and NO P2WIN stuff.

All in all I like it.

MadBlue
08.15.2012 , 08:10 AM | #1110
Quote: Originally Posted by Rocketanski View Post
There's an interesting article about this trend on IGN right now. They interview the CEO of Wargaming (World of Tanks), who makes the comment that for FTP to work, the game really has to be designed from the inception with that in mind, and so subscription games that convert to FTP rarely work.
http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/08/...and-pay-to-win
Basically, the steps in the article are:
1) Make a PVP MMO wargame with a cash shop
2) Market it in Asia
3) Profit

I get what the article is saying about creating a game as F2P, rather than adding that option later, but in that case, GW or GW2 would be a better game to compare SWTOR to than WoT. It would have been interesting to see what SWTOR would have looked like if it was planned as F2P.

Also, I'm not sure that converting to hybrid system "rarely works". For example, LOTRO and DCUO are still coming out with new content, in spite of the stigma that going F2P has.

What hurts MMORPGs more than anything is the fact that there are so many out there and people have limited time to play and money to spend. Add to that that when a new MMORPG launches, the people who play the new game are largely drawn from the populations of other games, rather than from people who don't play MMORPGs. Granted, not everyone is drawn to the same genres of gaming, but essentially there's a finite pool of players with a limited amount of time and money (well, unless you open up to new markets, which takes a lot of money to do).

Honestly, though, that being the case, going F2P is a good way to draw people back after they've gotten tired of the new game.