Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Wait... don't almost all Cathar hate the Mandalorians/Empire?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Wait... don't almost all Cathar hate the Mandalorians/Empire?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Captain_Zone
06.09.2012 , 05:19 PM | #41
Quote: Originally Posted by Temeluchus View Post
Nope, you actually meet a non Force Sensitive Sith in the game, on Voss I believe. You can even discuss it further with her if you choose to, it all starts with a comment about her orange shade of skin color rather than the typical red. The majority of Sith do have an affinity and symbiotic realtionship with the Dark Side though.

The original Dark Jedi targeted and preferred the Sith priest caste to breed with due to their Force Sensitivity. Actual true Sith Purebloods are all but extinct in this time period, most Sith Purebloods have human or near human blood in their lineage. Pureblood has come to be a term for the Sith who have dominant Sith features and an affinity for the Force.
Also, during the Jedi Knight storyline, you run into a married couple of NON-Force sensitive Purebloods on Belsavis. Both serve in the Imperial military.
. OPOD
The New Jedi Code: "Keep Calm & Carry a Lightsaber"

clintcasey
06.09.2012 , 05:25 PM | #42
Quote: Originally Posted by thomasgallant View Post
you do realize that not every bounty hunter is mandolorian.. evne though you hunt in their games, and you work with them you dont actually have to adopt the mantle of a mando...

correct me if i am wrong. but i was pretty sure you didnt have to..
Actually, you can choose not to become a Mandalorian as a Bounty Hunter.
Al'den, Jedi Guardian, Level 50, The Bastion, 4/4 EC HM
Jindo, Mercinary, Level 50, The Swiftsure, 3/4 EC HM
Jiindo, Power Tech, Level 27, Squadron 367

Usif
08.13.2012 , 02:37 AM | #43
Quote: Originally Posted by mrpayday View Post
There was one on Belsavis who didn't like the Republic. Mind you he had been in stasis for decades.
He's called prince shange btw, and he is awesome!

AllisonBerryman
08.13.2012 , 03:33 PM | #44 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
Hall Hood (Lead Writer) had a bit to say about Cathar and the Empire. Here's what he shared with me:

Quote:
As sometimes happens in oppressed and victimized societies, sub-cultures arise that rebel against prevailing sentiment and embrace what their fellow citizens hate. Over the past few decades, small sects of Cathar have become Imperial sympathizers, even going so far as to serve among the Sith and Mandalorians. The Cathar in Imperial space are regarded as traitorous extremists by Republic-aligned Cathar, but that hasnít stopped thousands of these radicals from seeking their fortunes with the Cathar peopleís former enemies.
Hopefully this helps make sense of the addition of Cathar to playable species!

Blisst_uNF
08.13.2012 , 04:45 PM | #45
Quote: Originally Posted by AllisonBerryman View Post
Hall Hood (Lead Writer) had a bit to say about Cathar and the Empire. Here's what he shared with me:

Hopefully this helps make sense of the addition of Cathar to playable species!
So basically what's being said is that some Cathar will suffer from Stockholm Syndrome or similar?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stockholm_syndrome
Raive Starsight <Rogue Elite> (The Harbinger)

JimG
08.13.2012 , 09:46 PM | #46
Lore went out the window when they got rid of all color restrictions on lightsabers, allowed pureblood Sith to be Jedi and permitted non-force users to use force powers like force choke. The game started shifting towards appeasing the masses regardless of lore awhile ago.

CorellianWannabe
08.13.2012 , 11:50 PM | #47
Quote: Originally Posted by Stenrik View Post
lol, I actually DID mention them. (edit: the point is that they aren't available by DEFAULT. I'm fine with people playing weird race/class combos. I have a Mirialan jugg, for instance. But they should earn the right to be an exception.)

And maybe it IS a dumb thing to get hung up on, but the flipside to this is that if empire players get Cathar by default, then maybe the Republic should get Chiss by default. I mean, sure, most Chiss are loyal to the Empire, but if everyone's going to roleplay as an "exception" then the same logic applies.

Republic Chiss as default makes just as much sense as Empire Cathar.
Actually all of them should be available by default- why should I have to 'earn' the right to play a blue smuggler instead of a green one?

No real reason to bother about lore in a setting like Star Wars-the fact there are actually levels of 'canon' means no one can agree on what fits or doesn't.

Dynospectrum
08.13.2012 , 11:52 PM | #48
They got over it, so should you.
"We Form Like Voltron."

JacenHallis
08.14.2012 , 12:58 AM | #49
Quote: Originally Posted by JimG View Post
Lore went out the window when they got rid of all color restrictions on lightsabers, allowed pureblood Sith to be Jedi and permitted non-force users to use force powers like force choke. The game started shifting towards appeasing the masses regardless of lore awhile ago.
There is no basis in lore for restricting color crystals based on morality. Lightsiders can use red just as well as darksiders can, and darksiders can use blue just as well as lightsiders can. The restriction was what went against the lore. Thankfully, they fixed that.
Ruminara Ven
Passion, yet serenity.

WhoDaresWins
08.14.2012 , 05:12 AM | #50
Don't you uhm, help that Cathar Prince bloke on Belsavis who pledges his support to the Empire or something?
The Imperial Inquisition

A EU Heavy RP Imperial Guild
"Death to the Emperor's enemies"