Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Huge server lag spikes

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Riverford
08.13.2012 , 01:06 PM | #1
I'd like to preface this with one thing, my typical latency is 61-64ms. It's been that way on West Coast servers since I started playing back in December through about the middle of July. And while I have noticed some more recent lag spikes, they occur seldomly and usually for very short periods of time.

Started my day on my 33 IA, on Fleet, and noticed lag as I'd transition from one part of the station to another, or if I went to interact with a vendor or the GTN. We are talkling spikes of up to about 5k ms. I figured that even though the instance had no more than 145 people, it might be Fleet, I grabbed my FP daily, queued up, and headed to my ship to quest while I waited. Once I hit my class quest, the lag kept occurring, same thing, as I'd transition across parts of the zone, or interact with most anything. Midway through the quest I got my flashpoint queue pop and went right to Cademimu, where I had the same lag issues, if not a bit worse, whenever we'd interact with a new group.

After I had finished the flashpoint I figured I'd see if maybe it was my internal network, disconnected my computer from my router and connected directly to the modem, and still had the same problems on Fleet. So, switched to both my 49 Sorcerer and my 50 Guardian, and after a little wandering, had the problem on both. Checked another online game, it ran at 67-69ms even while asking it for long range draw-in and some graphically intensive output. Next step, I looked around for the launcher repair tool, ran checkdisk on my harddrive, and ran the repair tool. Logged back in, hopped on the Sorcerer and headed to Voss. Seemed decent at first until I got to Outpost Skyline where I couldn't even make it out of the encampment before I got a lag spike. In my travels to the south, I kept seeing spikes, one that broke 36k ms. As I've been moving through King's Hall I've been getting spikes from 700-4000 ms, and my regular latency oscillates from 61-2000ms as I move, and every time I attack something I get spikes no less than 1900 all the way to 3200ms. Any idea what might be going on?

Beesodd
08.13.2012 , 01:12 PM | #2 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Hi Riverford,

Thanks for the detailed post. Can you try clearing your DiskcacheArena please, to see if that has any effect? You can do so by navigating to the game folder, and the swtor folder within that. In there a file called DiskCacheArena will be present, please delete it.

This will be recreated once you restart the game.

Also, if you have not done so already, please try restarting your computer.

Thank you.

Beesodd | BioWare Customer Service - Forum Support| Find help for all EA Games at Answer HQ.

Riverford
08.13.2012 , 01:32 PM | #3
Thanks. I appreciate the quick response and the quick fix. Deleting DiskCacheArena did the trick. Down to a max of 300ms lag.

Thank you again.

Beesodd
08.13.2012 , 01:34 PM | #4 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
Thanks for the update. Have fun!

Beesodd | BioWare Customer Service - Forum Support| Find help for all EA Games at Answer HQ.